Beginner Starting out - portable studio ideas

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I have recently started to offer my services as a photographer for free to friends and family to pick up more experience. I've had a number of requests asking for headshots which the clients will use for LinkedIn etc. The problem is that I don't actually own any lighting equipment except for a Speed-light (all previous work has been outdoor portraits on cloudy days). I'm looking to put together a simple and transportable studio that offers a clean look and one which could be setup in small sized rooms. I've watched a lot of videos and read many articles online but am a bit baffled by the right choice for me. I don't want to go out and buy eBay kit which I find is useless after 2 shooting sessions. I'm currently thinking of going with:

- Two Umbrellas either side of camera, reversed with an LED video light (main powered) on each
- A large circular reflector to replace an umbrella depending on ambient lighting of room
- Reflector hand held by client under neck (if seated, clamped below if standing) to stop neck shadows
- Simple vinyl backdrop (whatever is cheap and cheerful, only used when required)

Example:
http://york-studios.com/gallery/studiohire/Studio-Hire-Cove-Models.jpg
or http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1401/1483494265_29a645aa75.jpg

Any comments on the above? The idea of continuous lighting on umbrellas I feel will make balancing the camera settings faster then using speed-lights. I'm undecided on the continuous lighting source, but quite like the idea of going for LED video lights as they offer a wide beam with easy adjust-ability which off an umbrella would create a nice round soft light source.

I think it's probably fair to say that most people think that continuous lighting is easier, but it isn't.
1. There are very few LED lights that can take any modifiers except umbrellas, and if you progress in your lighting journey you'll soon want to use tools other than umbrellas.
2. There are very few LED lights that have a reasonably high CRI value, this means that some colours (reds, oranges, yellows) will be false. This has NOTHING to do with colour temperature, and can't be corrected in practical terms.
3. There are very few LED lights that have anywhere near enough power, which means that you'll struggle with camera shake, subject movement and depth of field unless you use a pretty high ISO, which in turn will impact on image quality
4. People don't like being blinded by bright lights.

Your answer is studio flash, which has none of these problems and which is much cheaper too.

As Garry has said a studio head would be better.
For a head shot I reckon a studio head with softbox one side and a reflector the other side would do the job. For the background you could get a pop up one for extra portability.

Thanks for your comments guys, really appreciate all feedback.

So I will remove LED lighting from my setup idea to start. I currently own a Yongnuo YN-568 EX which I'm quite happy with; so if I'm shooting indoors at home (rather then large venues) then maybe I could just get myself a second or third flash-light? Otherwise I could invest in a couple of Studio Lights if they are not too expensive, although I like the idea of being able to move things around without trailing wires the more I think about things.

So my current setup would be as pictured below:
http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1401/1483494265_29a645aa75.jpg

- Camera on Tripod
- 1x Yongnuo YN-568 EX Flash on C-Stand with Umbrella (Reflective or Shoot-Through)
- 1x Yongnuo YN-568 EX Flash on C-Stand with Umbrella (Reflective or Shoot-Through) OR Circular Reflector
- Small Reflector held by client (if required) for chin light
- Pop-up background

I'm currently watching the video below again, which is re-iterating a lot of previous ideas and definitely a lot of the advice you've both provided me with:

As Garry has said a studio head would be better.
For a head shot I reckon a studio head with softbox one side and a reflector the other side would do the job. For the background you could get a pop up one for extra portability.

I'm reading up into Softbox vs Umbrella currently, as I understand the basics but don't really know how ambient light will affect the performance of each well enough yet (hence why I haven't changed my thoughts on setup above)

That setup is popular with beginners, but the lighting is very flat and featureless.

Think about it - most of the lighting we see ourselves in, whether daylight or indoors, comes mainly from above. That's a good starting point.

Basically, shoot through umbrellas can produce very soft light, mainly because they can be placed very close to the subject, and secondly because unwanted light bounces around all over the place. But the lighting from them is pretty uncontrolled, and can also cause lens flare.

White reflective umbrellas produce a more controlled light, but they can't be placed as close.

Silver reflective umbrellas likewise, but the light is harder, more specular

Softboxes basically combine the qualities of both shoot through and reflective umbrellas, but are bulkier and cost more

Was fortunate enough to borrow some basic equipment off a friend (who took some great pictures with this setup - corporate headshots). Unfortunately my CF Card corrupted after 3 sessions in my makeshift studio so I can show any results. I used the following equipment to playwith:

- 2x Yonguo Speedlights (568 and 565)
- 2x Shoot through umbrellas
- 1x Large reflector (5 colours)
- 1x LED Video Light
- 1x Light stand
- 1x Velbon Lightweight Tripod
- 3x Makeshift light holders/tripods
- Wireless Flash Remotes
- USB tether and laptop

Conclusions are (all personal):
- Constant light vs Flash doesn't seem to bother setup or results
- I could do with a background and stand (essential)
- Reflectors are great, especially with a single strong flash; but a decent stand is imperative to get it held close and in the right position
- A few more light stands and table stand would be essential
- Black acrylic gives beautiful product shots
- I'd like to try some large softboxes for more directional light and just as an alternative (as suggested above)
- I require a more substantial tripod when shooting with a battery grip and 70-200 f4L

So I'm now leaning towards the setup below for indoor portraits:
- Camera on Tripod
- 2x Yongnuo YN-568 EX Flashes on basic stands with softboxes
- Large Circular reflector on basic stand with good clips to hold position (depending on style - with one softbox)
- Large eBay Background Kit - one black one white
- Small Reflector held by client (if required) for chin light
- Small table infront and below camera/tripod with laptop tethered for client/me to view photos

and for Product work:
- Camera on Tripod
- A3 Acrylic Sheet Black and another in White
- Table stand for acrylic, can also be used for laptop in portrait work

Any thoughts?

I would be inclined to keep it much simpler then this, at least at first. One decent head, a reflector and then work from there. For any sort of studio work I wouldn't plan flashes as my main light source

I would be inclined to keep it much simpler then this, at least at first. One decent head, a reflector and then work from there. For any sort of studio work I wouldn't plan flashes as my main light source

I understand this idea, but I wish to spend a good period of time (i.e. 2-4 hours each day) really learning more about lighting and therefore having 2 light sources. These could however be studio heads, it just really depends on recommendation and budget. I already own a flashlite which I use on camera outdoors and enjoy, I planned to keep the lighting clutter free by using flashlites; but if there's big gain to use studio heads then I'll go that way instead.

I understand this idea, but I wish to spend a good period of time (i.e. 2-4 hours each day) really learning more about lighting and therefore having 2 light sources. These could however be studio heads, it just really depends on recommendation and budget. I already own a flashlite which I use on camera outdoors and enjoy, I planned to keep the lighting clutter free by using flashlites; but if there's big gain to use studio heads then I'll go that way instead.
The gain is massive - modelling lamps are important too, so is fast recycling

adam,

get yourself along to the photography show, plenty of advice and help there.

Mike
Come and see us on stand L20, I'll gladly show you what I mean

I wasn't actually addressing that to you Mike, but you're welcome to say Hi anyway - but please get my name right and don't wear that Bl**** waistcoat:)

I'll be coming to see you both Tuesday.
Come and see us once you've seen the other stands that have portable flash systems - we have something brand new to show you...

I've tried to change plans, but I'm going to be working in North Devon from Wednesday onwards for the next two weeks (looking after a working farm) so I wont be able to attend the show. I'm still looking into Studio Heads and have come across a set in the classifieds that could do the trick: http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/2-lencarta-ultrapro-300s.531221/

Otherwise, reviews seem to point towards this kit: http://www.digitalslrphoto.com/DSLR...nchrom_dlite_4_it_studio_2_go_kit_review.html
It's way out of my budget, but I could wait and save for it if worth it

After a lot more time and consideration over a potential setup, including a lot of research and video watching; I've decided to start with a 'cheaper' setup. Once I start earning more regular income from headshots I will re-invest a little more and move to softboxes and studio heads but for now I will go the route below.

Indoor portraits:
- Canon 40D mounted on Tripod
- 1x Yongnuo YN-568 EX II Flash on basic stand with 5 in 1 Umbrellla (Key Light)
- 1x Yongnuo YN-565 EX Flash on basic stand with 5 in 1 Umbrellla (Background light)
- Large Circular reflector on basic stand with good clips to hold position (if required)
- Large eBay Background Kit (White)
- Small Reflector held by client (if required) for chin light (already made for less the 10p)
- Small table infront and below camera/tripod with laptop tethered for client/me to view photos

and for Product work:
- A3 Acrylic Sheet Black and another in White
- Table stand for acrylic, can also be used for laptop in portrait work

This would mean I would need to invest around £25 for backgrounds, £25 for a pair of stands, £10 for reflector, £40 for 2nd flash gun, £40 on umbrellas and another £20 on a table; so around £160 for the full setup (in addition to what I already own).

If that's your decision, then fair enough.
But it's a bad decision.

Adam the first link you used doesn't equate to what you said you wanted to do i.e. work in small spaces, like has been said keep it simple, get yourself 2 smartflash 200s with stands a large softbox/octobox and a relector, start off with one smartflash then introduce another as you gain more experience, one light with softbox and a reflector should be fine to start with, particularly if your just doing head and shoulder shot's, if you want real portability get yourself a Hi-lite as they are pretty much the best for small spaces, a couple of weeks ago I worked in the smallest room ever in a small cottage, I didn't think I would be able to do it at first, but the results were pretty good, and the client was happy :)

I'm still not getting anywhere with my studio as I have had so much advice by so many people and can't find a solution that pleases all my current needs and that is anywhere near budget! After another few hours with borrowed equipment I have decided that the kit list below will fulfill my needs for the project work I have on the horizon (portraits and headshots):

Proposed Kit List:
- 2x Studio Flash Heads (3 would be a bonus)
- 2x Softboxes and Stands (umbrellas a bonus too)
- Large 5 in 1 Circular Reflector and Stand
- Large eBay Background Kit (White)
- Wireless Flash Remote

Yes, the Lencarta Smartflash 200 kit would be nice, but realistically they are way out of my budget (http://goo.gl/ZjR8qb). I'd be looking at £339 for the kit itself, then I'd need to add on another £10 for the reflector and £30 for the backdrop; so that's around the £379 mark.

If this was my profession then I'd be quite happy to drop this sort of money on the setup, but I feel this is too much for an amateur. My other option to keep costs low are to go for one of those eBay/Amazon kits for £159 (http://goo.gl/IlxHp6). These offer an additional flash head and a set of Umbrellas, but sure will have a lower performance due to the basic build. However, there are two pull factors to the kits for me; firstly, the complete setup would be £199 with a reflector and background which is half the price (or so) of the professional kit, secondly if I was to want to upgrade the studio heads in the future, the rest of the kit could still be used. If I was to but a set of cheap stands, softboxes and umbrellas they would come to a fair amount and I'd still have the flash heads to pass on (back on eBay no doubt).

I've considered going 2nd hand with more professional gear, but haven't seen any decent kit up for sale currently (and I'd like to get setup in the next week). I've also been reviewing work by people using these cheaper heads who are cleary well practiced, and the results look excellent. I haven't made up my mind 100% and haven't disregarded your advice, but I really want to purchase the proposed kit list above with a budget of £200 or under just to get more actual real experience and feel the cheaper gear is the correct move for me.

With your limited budget, it's possibly all you're going to get, however there are a couple of assumptions you've made that may not be right.

When you decide to upgrade, the only reusable parts of the kit are the umbrellas and stands, and they're worth about £30 max

The fixed reflectors limit the control you have, with flash heads we'd take the reflectors off so the bare bulb lights the soft box from 'inside', the reflectors mean you're aiming the light at the front diffuser, a different light. The flat fronts on the softboxes also means you can't really feather the light properly.

Although, technically Garry's probably right about colour temperature, consistency of output etc. you might not notice that in 'real world use' if you're not a perfectionist, however, the lack of control over the power and shape of light will become a PITA. After all the reason we buy lighting is to get control over light.

You might be able to find a halfway point between the really cheap stuff and Lencarta if you search ebay for lights with a proper Bowens or ES mount. Both of which will allow you to also source proper modifiers.

Adam,

I just re-read your first post & my suggestion (along with others) is to start with this:

1 x lencarta smartflash.
1 x tripod
1 x softbox
1 x umbrella
2 x 5 in 1 pop up reflectors

You can always use your current flash as a fill / hair light.

& test.

This is about as cheap as you can get & still have useful kit. - £200 is a REALLY LOW BUDGET & you may be better investing that into a studio course.

I had forgot all about the point, and for head shots, Pete is bang on, forget a 3 head kit, one good light, reflectors and flash guns for adding accents and filling in the gaps.

Which is of course, more or less what Garry said in his first post.

Adam,

I just re-read your first post & my suggestion (along with others) is to start with this:

1 x lencarta smartflash.
1 x tripod
1 x softbox
1 x umbrella
2 x 5 in 1 pop up reflectors

You can always use your current flash as a fill / hair light.

& test.

This is about as cheap as you can get & still have useful kit. - £200 is a REALLY LOW BUDGET & you may be better investing that into a studio course.

Ok guys, I'll go for this setup then as it clearly seems the way to proceed if everyone (with a hell of a lot more experience and skill then me) agrees. So I'd want the list below to make a complete starting setup:

- Canon 40D mounted on Tripod (both owned)
- 1x Lencarta Smartflash (£109)
- 1x Chiaro Lencarta Softbox (£45)
- 1x Lencarta Umbrella (£15)
- 1x Lencarta Lightstand (£24)
- 1x Wavesync Commander (£50)
- 2x Large 5 in 1 Circular Reflector and Stand (£20 the pair)
- 2x Reflector Stands and Clips (£25 the pair)
- 1x Large eBay Background Kit (£25)

'
So this would suit my needs with a one studio head setup and I work that out to be around £300 if sourced from Lencarta and eBay (for cheaper bits). It's starting to make more sense to invest a bit more and just get the '
SmartFlash 2 400Ws Lighting kit with 1 softbox & 1 umbrella' which comes in at £320 and then add the aditional £70 for the Reflectors, Stands and Background. (http://www.lencarta.com/studio-ligh...sh-studio-flash-lighting-kit-softbox-umbrella)

I better put a few bits up for sale to fund this!

Back