Starting Video work from scratch

JPL

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
I have been asked by a chain of Estate Agents, that I do brochure photography for to look into providing video tours of some of their properties. They have interviewed some of the firms that offer this service but would rather that I do it as I have been doing their stills work for over 10 years and would rather stick with someone they know. While I am happy to spend out for equipment, in the first instance I would rather keep the costs down in case there is a change of mind.

In no particular order I have a heavy duty braced Manfrotto tripod which will do for the work required but will need a head for panning and tilt work. I have been looking at the Manfrotto 504HD video head at around £300 mark. Any other suggestions.

Next video camera. I can either go for a HD camcorder or one of my Canon pro bodies is due to be replaced and I could replace it with a DSLR that takes video clips. Any suggestions. My only concern is that it must be able to shoot wide angle, via a wide-angle converter if required. (I have lenses for the DSLR 10-500mm).

Lighting. Having watched quite a few video tours, lighting in general does not seem to be used, certainly no obvious reflections in glass or tiles etc. Also a lot of the tours seem to be quite dark, I presume trying to balance the room lighting for the daylight outside the windows. Another option will be to use a still image and the Ken Burns Effect as the still images for the brochure will be taken at the same time (these are done using twin Bowens flash heads). If so I am looking for a program that allows me to control the movements and create a movie from the image and allows me to integrate it with video clips.

Finally recommendations for an editing program that allows me to add a caption and join the clips together and control the transition between clips and stills and output for viewing on You Tube.

At present they have said that they do not want sound, but no doubt this will change!

Sorry for so many questions at the same time but they have asked for costings ASAP and this will be a steep learning curve.

When I was looking at Magic Lantern software for my camera I found a video on Youtube with a guy that did property promo videos and used the HDR video function via Magic Lantern with his DSLR. The results were that the inside of the house was nicely exposed as was the lovely bright scenery outside aswell showing what the view from inside would be like (was a large glass fronted room with views of the sea) I thought that was a good idea.

the non-ideal thing about doing pans round rooms with slrs is that you'll get a small bit of a 'jello' effect as you move - but not really the biggest issue.

Lighting, might be worth getting a red head light and just throwing it up into the ceiling behind the camera to generally raise the ambient light and maybe mean that you're not blowing out the windows quite as much.

The 504's an ok video head, yep, though a 502 I was also quite impressed by and would probably be ok for slr work.

Sliders and cranes add plenty of production value. I guess it depends on how fancy they want to be.

A good editing program that works on all levels of machine would be Sony Vegas Movie Studio. You can upload direct to Youtube from there. You may find the editing program bundled on your computer does a good enough job.

Sliders and cranes add plenty of production value. I guess it depends on how fancy they want to be.

Yes, good point. I use JIB Crane for my wedding shoots, can be a logistical nightmare organising resources etc but the added value to production and final product is immense. It has a knock on effect on editing times but well worth it in my view.

The JIB crane is probably a step too soon (and complete overkill) if you are starting out at moment (if your work is restricted to estate agents and properties) but something to consider once you have the basics nailed and have a better feel for style and content you want to offer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for the replies. Lots to consider there.

Ken, the steadycam device is where I think it may go in the future, but at first I think they are looking for something really simple, just a series of clips. However I am looking to cover all the ways, they may want to take it, to give them costings, so will look at different versions.

Welshnoob, I did see that tour on youtube and it did look good, one of the reasons that I was considering the DSLR, I wonder how much work was done in post on that and how long it took. If it can be done mainly in camera then it is very interesting, however there are always time constraints everything is required yesterday, so too much extra work may not be possible.

Dave, I presume the "jello effect" is caused by the distortion with the edge detail on a wide angle lens. Possibly one reason to use the "Ken Burns Effect" in the first instance. I realise that it has its limitations but as the still images are being done at high res. it could be a time saver. People in general like you to be through as quick as possible and I am normally at a property for around 3hrs. to do the stills. Will have a look at the red head lights to see how powerful they are. The other thing I was thinking of using was the spots in the Bowens heads I have three of those so they should but a fair bit of light into a scene. I have attached 3 images to give an idea of the type of rooms I have to cover.

house1.jpg

house2.jpg

house3.jpg

Duncan and Gill. I think sliders and cranes would be more than they want to start off with, but again it is something I can pass on in the costings if they want to go that far. Most of the tours that I have seen so far have been very simple, just vertical and horizontal pans and a bit of zoom work. They always want more but are probably unwilling to pay for it!

I will check out Sony Vegas Movie Studio I have been looking at Adobe Premier Elements 11, any one used both and have an opinion.

Again many thanks for all the replies, lots to look into.

Dave, I presume the "jello effect" is caused by the distortion with the edge detail on a wide angle lens. Possibly one reason to use the "Ken Burns Effect" in the first instance.

nope, it's due to the way that the sensor scans. It won't be a huge issue as long as it's relatively slow pans though.

Red Heads are basically an 800w halogen bulb at the back of a paint can - they kick out a lot of light! They're under £50 on ebay. You're going to be moving fast so you're never going to get light perfect...

A slider would be actually quite a good tool for you, to add some very slight interest to some shots, or 'reveal' past something - they're about £150 for a basic one.
Please, please don't use it for every single shot though, omg. Used well, they're good though.

Please, please don't use it for every single shot though, omg. Used well, they're good though.

Exact same thing with Ken Burns ;)

BTW, anybody have an opinion on the BlackMagic Cinema camera for work like this? Huge dynamic range and available in Canon or MFT mount. Use an SSD drive and dock for the computer and you can save ages in post.

BTW beams in the first shot would mess up use of a redhead. But it would be sweet for the others.

Thanks for the feedback, looked at the Red Heads seems a cheap way to push a lot of light into the scene. Will check out different sliders, they are a lot more versatile than I first thought.

Have seen a lot (rather too much) of Ken Burns on some properties, To use it or not would depend on the room, and its contents.

As for beams lots of those here, that property was not too bad. Dropping the light height and using a white card reflector would probably do, depending on what you are facing. Nothing worse than huge reflections in glass, tiles etc.

Had a look at the BlackMagic Cinema camera, fantastic results, but could get quite pricey with all the extras. Also the 2.4 crop is not ideal for internal shots. Do ypu know what the dynamic range is of say a 5D mk111. Could not seem to find it.

Again lots of thanks for all the info, even more to look into now

Duncan and Gill. I think sliders and cranes would be more than they want to start off with, but again it is something I can pass on in the costings if they want to go that far. Most of the tours that I have seen so far have been very simple, just vertical and horizontal pans and a bit of zoom work. They always want more but are probably unwilling to pay for it!

Yes, pass on crane for now but for avoidance of doubt i was thinking of the small handy JIBs which can transform ordinary shots into something fantastic.

Agree with others that slider is probably a good investment.You say client not expecting a lot but for the sake of a small investment in kit, if you can offer them better more dynamic footage of interiors (reveal shots etc), it will more than pay for itself and get you repeat work over and above those who will offer basic shots - health warning do not do slider overload!

Thanks Gill

Having now watched a few promo clips for sliders I can see the uses for them. Will look into the different types and costs. To much of anything starts to look a bit overkill ,but in the right room they could certainly add a dynamic feel to a clip.

Had a look at the BlackMagic Cinema camera....the 2.4 crop is not ideal for internal shots.

Ah yes, good point ;) I've seen the crop variously quoted as somewhere between 1.5 and 3. I suspect the lower end is quoting a crop against APS-C rather than "full frame:

Exact same thing with Ken Burns ;)

BTW, anybody have an opinion on the BlackMagic Cinema camera for work like this? Huge dynamic range and available in Canon or MFT mount. Use an SSD drive and dock for the computer and you can save ages in post.

BTW beams in the first shot would mess up use of a redhead. But it would be sweet for the others.

The blackmagic will be good for this, but does come with some pretty major caveats and costs. Just to get a working setup around a bmcc, you're looking at around a grand at least just for battery solution, ssds etc. the new 4k one has a global shutter which eliminates the 'jello effect' - my housemate is high up the waiting list for one so I'm looking forward to using it.

Sensor size will limit you a bit, but there's some great glass out there too - the samyang primes are really very good and very affordable for a full set - and have geared focus and iris for use with a follow focus

The blackmagic pocket cinema camera also looks really cool, I'm definitely getting one... £700, records (soon) 1080p cinemaDNG raw, or prores, to SD cards, and 13stops of dr.... Oh and the size of a compact camera, and can use cheap micro four thirds lenses, as well as my pro nikon ones with an adapter.... Sign me up.

Panasonic g6 or gh3

I love the Lumix's (the best cameras in their class for video), but the 2x crop factor would be a problem here I think for filming the interior of properties.

Maybe you could get good results with the new Vario 12-35mm, but that's a pricy option.

A Blackmagic would produce amazing results but is serious overkill for youtube and the crop factor might trip things up.

I have a 5d3 as well. I think dynamic range for standard video is in the region of 10 stops. It also has the Magic Lantern raw option which has managed 14 stops but the workflow is fiddly at the moment.

The Nikon D5200 and 7100 are getting good reviews for video. They're around a 1.5 crop factor.

G6s and GH3s would be a nice compromise. You could look into the Metabones Speedbooster or aftermarket alternatives to reduce the crop factor and increase maximum aperture.

Another factor that might be worth bearing mind for interiors is moire. The Blackmagic supposedly isn't great for this. The 5d3 and G6 are the best cameras for handling this. The GH3 is a little behind.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

Checked out the Panasonic cameras both have crop factors of 1.8 and 2 so not ideal. Also have quite a large investment in Canon glass so the 5D mk111 would make more sense than the Nikons.

The Black Magic has a crop factor of 2.4 but I do have (somewhere) a Sigma 10-20. But I have been advised that the workflow is quite time consuming and I am always under pressure to get the images/video out.

I have also been advised that the Canon XF100 workflow is quick. It has an equivalent 30mm lens but does have a matched wide angle convertor that will make the lens a 21mm approx.

Also checking out the Sony VG30 interchangeable lens camcorder a 1.5 crop
but if it will take the Canon lenses I could cover 24 to 1050mm plus the Sigma which would be 15 to 30mm.

Still have not come across anything that is perfect for this type of work. Sorting this out is proving to be more difficult than I had thought.

I have also been advised that the Canon XF100 workflow is quick. It has an equivalent 30mm lens but does have a matched wide angle convertor that will make the lens a 21mm approx.

I've got an XF100 that I use and rent out for event (conference etc) video work. Produces pretty good, versatile video, and has decent connections (not that you need audio!) - and cuts in nicely with the larger canon XF305 cameras that we use often for that kind of stuff.

Tbh, I still think that your best bet is probably just to get a dslr and a wide lens (10-20 will work well), an external monitor to help you frame/focus, a decent tripod, a red head, maybe a couple of small £30 LED lights off ebay, and a slider.

Last edited:
Back