StarTrail Help

Edit My Images
No
Anyone know what those spots are? this was just a test i did out on the dock with clouds so i know the trails rant perfect but what are the spots?

At a guess I'd say its either odd lens flare from the colour, were there any light sources around? Or possibly from the tiny aperture that its dust on the sensor but the reason I'm not sure on it being dust is the colour...I've never seen anything exactly like this though

At f22 it could well be dust on the front of the lens.

Why shoot a star trail at f22?

At f22 it could well be dust on the front of the lens.

Why shoot a star trail at f22?

I suspect that the OP wanted to do a single long exposure, but alas the only way to do a single long exposure is to get somewhere really dark as you still need to be able to use at least a large aperture and ideally still an ISO at least a little faster than the base ISO

It was in my back yard so there was light around so i couldn't do one long exposure because it was too bright and it wasn't through a window

It looks to me like stray light hitting the lens. You need to be in a really dark place to expose for that length of time. I have done some in a cemetery near me that is reasonably dark and still I pick up stray light from street lights nearby and, if there are any clouds about, they will also reflect city and street lights.

I'm still voting for dust (ive just never seem it quite illuminated like that before, the easy way to tell would be shoot a plain surface or blue sky if we ever see one again at f/22 that should show if you've a dust issue

my sensor is normally clean and it hasn't shown up in other pictures so i think its stray light

It may well be stray light but it's very random and I've never seen light have an effect quite like that, it's just to random, plus if light were there for the full time of the exposure it would have totally blown those areas if not the entire frame out

Stray light that is hitting dust maybe? It might just be enough light to expose the way it has without burning out. There is definitely something bright to the left of the frame and it falls off as you go across to the right

photoshop

Truth be told I've never stacked a star trail in photoshop as I've never really seen the point in making extra work for myself when StarStaX does the work with a great deal of control and renders a superb result..

But the most popular link via google is this video on YouTube that will be of use to you if you want to do it in photoshop

It's worth noting that StarStaX is freeware however I would encourage anyone using it to make a donation towards development

Back