Ste L: 52 for 2010 - Week 7: People

thanks, i made it a touch darker, as i thought it looked better than when it was lighter...

i also found the perfect shot i could of used for chopped too, yesterday, so a bit late now. i will take a photo of it and stick it up here anyway, if i can

Nice textures and colours, and well done capturing the movement of the knife and cheese slice. Personally I would like just a little more contrast in the shot but that may just be my monitor.
(y)

Good Stuff Ste. Really like the chopped on with a hint of motion. Not to much and not to little. Just right :)

Also, that one with your kid is mega. Great idea, well executed!!

I will keeping an eye on this thread :)

I do all my editing on a laptop which changes brightness depending what angle you look at it on, so it's probably not the best :LOL:

Week 4 : Steet

4314223184_39ab0f5445.jpg

For this theme i choose, StreetBall, for something a bit different, editing not that good, may redo it again, but this is it for now, C+C Please :)

I can just see that cheese melting on some toast :D

What does the court look like, maybe shot a little wider. Shme the ball covers the Adidas sign a little. Be interested if you reshoot.

courts look a mess to be honest, thats why i did it like this, there's tennis court's in view too if i did a lower angle

i got a few with the ball in a different place, but was using a slightly long shutter speed, so the ball looked wierd due to the extra movement

Nice shots so far! The only bit of advice I could offer for the last one would have been to try and pan the ball..... That way the ball would be nice and sharp, but the motion blur would have been everything else. Just something to try if you ever re-shoot or do similar! (y)

ooh nice, completely different take than all the others I've seen so far and I like it. Nice, simple, conveys a message.

I very much like the colours and compostion on this. The basket looks really high because it is above the trees, and I am not sure what you have done in the editing but it has a very nice retro kind of feel to it with the strong and interesting colours.

A bit of blur on the ball might have added to the end result but that is a really nice shot anyway.

Well spotted - I like the colours and composition. Ideally I'd like the trees in the background to be more OOF but you might not have the lens to do that.

Nice shots so far! The only bit of advice I could offer for the last one would have been to try and pan the ball..... That way the ball would be nice and sharp, but the motion blur would have been everything else. Just something to try if you ever re-shoot or do similar! (y)

Never thought about trying that, i guess i could of, as i had the misus throwing the ball in the air for me, defo might give that a try, if we get a reshoot card soon

ooh nice, completely different take than all the others I've seen so far and I like it. Nice, simple, conveys a message.

Thanks, didn't want to go a just take a photo of a street, or street sign etc, so choose this for something different, hoping no one else had the same idea :D

I very much like the colours and compostion on this. The basket looks really high because it is above the trees, and I am not sure what you have done in the editing but it has a very nice retro kind of feel to it with the strong and interesting colours.

A bit of blur on the ball might have added to the end result but that is a really nice shot anyway.

i tired some with a slightly longer exposure, but the ball went too misshaped, due to the speed it was moving, will post an example up later of what i mean

Well spotted - I like the colours and composition. Ideally I'd like the trees in the background to be more OOF but you might not have the lens to do that.

cheers, probably would of been better using my 50mm for that. but still i used a highish f/stop so wouldn't of sent them "OFF" that much.
As i said above, i might give it another go, if i get a reshoot card soon, and give myself more time to play with different setup's (y)

that's a different take (y)
I'm amazed how many different ideas people have had

did you get any pictures with the players in action?

I like that, good to see some movement there... nice colours there, deep and bright.

Arthur

that's a different take (y)
I'm amazed how many different ideas people have had

thanks, im going to have to say i cheated a little, and has the misus chucking the ball in the air for the shot :naughty:

I like that, good to see some movement there... nice colours there, deep and bright.

Arthur

Thank's, movement seems to be happening in all of my shot's for this except one at the min, 3 out of the 4 so far :LOL:

i also found the perfect shot i could of used for chopped too, yesterday, so a bit late now.

Isn't that always the way? :LOL:

I do all my editing on a laptop which changes brightness depending what angle you look at it on, so it's probably not the best :LOL:

And I know that problem very well!

I really, really like your shot for "Street".
Totally different to anything else and very nicely executed. I love the trees reaching up in the background and the sky makes a perfect backdrop to it all.

I'm wondering whether it might work well in B&W too . . . not necessarily better, but I'm thinking that the main focal point is the hoop and board which don't have much colour anyway. . . it might be interesting to see what it looks like.

Isn't that always the way? :LOL:
I really, really like your shot for "Street".
Totally different to anything else and very nicely executed. I love the trees reaching up in the background and the sky makes a perfect backdrop to it all.

I'm wondering whether it might work well in B&W too . . . not necessarily better, but I'm thinking that the main focal point is the hoop and board which don't have much colour anyway. . . it might be interesting to see what it looks like.

just tried a quick B+W conversion, didnt like the look of it really, didnt bother exporting and uploading it though

Its a good image for week 4, and its thinking out of the box. Well done m8

said i'd upload one with one of the player's on, here's the ball boy, getting in the way of the shot, misus was hidden out of shot throwing the ball

The height of the basketball net makes my kid look tiny :LOL:

4319423001_9620f4be4a.jpg

Well............

i had planned to take photo's at a trackday today, which i was going to use as my photo for this week, but ended up spending more time in the passenger seat of a 350BHP Nova :LOL:

only took a few photo's on the sighting laps, and was going to use one of my mate Paul's, who's i was in, but only had one photo of it, and missed the focus, and got the bloody merc behind it

Yellow Nova in this photo : http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4026/4335012007_241e519346.jpg

so out of the rest i choose this one, as i like the moody look from the fog, and the light's off all the car's

4335011349_b915f6e35c_o.jpg

That's a great motorsport shot in poor conditions, although for speed as the theme I would have probably gone for a slow pan.

Glad you had some fun as a passenger, I'm not jealous at all :razz:

(y)

That's a great motorsport shot in poor conditions, although for speed as the theme I would have probably gone for a slow pan.

Glad you had some fun as a passenger, I'm not jealous at all :razz:

(y)

thats what i was planning to do, as i didn't have a helmet so wasn't expect to go out, but someone brought a spare, so i got myself signed up as a passenger and not much photography happened unfortunately

defo han fun, 350bhp in a fwd hatchback = wheel spin in all gear's down the pit straight :eek: :cool:

Last edited:
Love it. The yellow RS (?) stands out great.

A very good shot considering the conditions. Agree the slow pan would have added the element of speed to the shot but sounds like you were having too much fun elsewhere :)

I agree that it's a great shot, but it doesn't really shout Speed to me - the cars could be doing anything from 5mph to 100mph. Having said that, I'm sure the owner of the Nova would be happy to have a copy of that image.

I agree that it's a great shot, but it doesn't really shout Speed to me - the cars could be doing anything from 5mph to 100mph. Having said that, I'm sure the owner of the Nova would be happy to have a copy of that image.

but isnt that what speed is, anything, be it 1mph or 100mph?

thanks for the feedback, it wasn't the shot i was looking at doing, and i left it too late todo anything else, so it's all i've got unfortunatly :(

That nova sounds nuts :nuts:

Great shot, really like it! The yellow JUMPS out at you. Great shot!

cheers fella (y)

Love it. The yellow RS (?) stands out great.

thanks, i chose that one, as it's stand's out the most from the couple of shot's i took

thats great, i wish i was nearer to some tracks.

cheers, used to spend more time at oulton park, but changed my days off, so dont get a day off in the week like i used to

A very good shot considering the conditions. Agree the slow pan would have added the element of speed to the shot but sounds like you were having too much fun elsewhere :)

yea, very much so, and then near the end of the day, the track shut early due to the fog, so no chance to get a better shot

Really nice shot Steven - the yellow really screams at you just like I bet the car was!
Would love to see this with the car on the thirds to its lift leaving you with the following cars snaking round behind it - almost like they are queuing up behind the speed of the Nova.

Awesome work that man!

I don't really know much about motorsports, but I do like the foggy feeling in this one - it's really has worked with the headlights.

It may have been more luck than judgement, but I like the recurring yellow tone too - the stripe on the car behind and then the yellow car in the distance.
I agree with cropping a bit off the RHS too. Not only would it help the composition, but you'd lose that white car in the distance and make even more of the yellow theme.

Really nice shot Steven - the yellow really screams at you just like I bet the car was!
Would love to see this with the car on the thirds to its lift leaving you with the following cars snaking round behind it - almost like they are queuing up behind the speed of the Nova.

Awesome work that man!

Thanks for the comments, may try a crop on it another time, t

I don't really know much about motorsports, but I do like the foggy feeling in this one - it's really has worked with the headlights.

It may have been more luck than judgement, but I like the recurring yellow tone too - the stripe on the car behind and then the yellow car in the distance.
I agree with cropping a bit off the RHS too. Not only would it help the composition, but you'd lose that white car in the distance and make even more of the yellow theme.

more look that anthing really, was just a few snaps, i took before jumping in a mates car, i agree, the crop would suit it a lot better, as i said i above i might try it when at a later date when i got more spare time

Hi steven. Missed your thread so far. A good job this week, Good compositon within this image. Keep it up(y)

Thanks (y)

Week 6 : Present

Danbo bring's present for you :)

4354759206_8df87742c1.jpg

the background look's pure white on lightroom, but got a slight tinge to it when exported...
bit of pain to do without a proper lightbox this, just used white paper, and kitchen light :LOL:

Awesome Steven!!!!

I love the attention to detail with the extra torn paper too. Danbo is a dude(ette)!

Been a while since I have seen him in thread - will it be making more appearences?

Keep it up matey! (y)

Very cute. Maybe a little dark. He/she/it hasn't made a bad job considering the lack of digits and the little bits of paper strewn everywhere really adds to the overall impact. Nicely done.

Very well put together, the paper tear offs are the icing on the cake. (y)

Back