Stepping up to the next level....

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Have had a camera for more years than I care to mention, but only in the last five years have I really started to understand the whole picture - so to speak.

Whilst Im reasonably happy with my output, when I look at some on here, and listen to them on threads, it would seem I still have a lot to learn.

Whats the next step , how do I go about things in terms of improving the quality of my output ?

Im not talking about spending ££££, altho I appreciate it has "some" bearing on quality - more about maybe understanding the tringle of exp (for example) more in depth....

I know practise helps, which is why Im doing the TP52 - an enjoyable project that gets the mind working.

There is no magic formula :)

As with anything - practise, practise, practise...

There is no magic formula :)

As with anything - practise, practise, practise...

Oh I know that, I wasnt looking for one either. I wondered if any of the proliferation of courses were worth doing for starters ?

Or even something like joining a camera club.

Hi

I'm not sure of your current output or what you like shooting.

My step up (in my eyes) came from when I started using studio lights - made me think a lot more about lighting in all my pics - even naturally lit pictures.

Doesn't have to be expensive. I used the least expensive lencarta lights. Bought second hand.

Also led me to read more about it through tinterweb and books!

To be fair, I learned through magazines back in the 80's. Mainly Practical Photography and Amateur Photography.

Nowadays there is a more available resource in Youtube. I kind of like Matt Granger. Not everyone's cup of tea but he is down to Earth.

You can get arrested for that. :)

Cool occupation, BTW.

The D300 is still a very capable camera, I still use a 200

Last edited:
Since I have joined this forum I have really tried to push my self, looking at taking a shot at an angle that others might not.

Indeed.Im always looking for the non cliche angle, altho its not always a possibility - Motorsport for example.

I prefer a reportage style, in that I shoot what I see - but I like to get an angle that may have not been noticed. I aslo like to shoot animals - specifically zoo stuff.

Try thinking about making sets of photographs as projects that hang together on a subject or theme rather than making individual pictures or jumping about the genres.

I'd pick a genre or skill that you wanted to get better at then find out the best workshop you can afford.

A few years ago I spent a few hundred quid on a full day one to one with a chap who is one of the best digital black and white practitioners around. Best investment I ever made in my photography, took me further forward than if I'd spent two or three times that amount on gear.

Post photos on here! I've learnt so much just from feedback and CC from other members on this forum. YouTube is great for learning stuff I find also.

Hi

I'm not sure of your current output or what you like shooting.

My step up (in my eyes) came from when I started using studio lights - made me think a lot more about lighting in all my pics - even naturally lit pictures.

Doesn't have to be expensive. I used the least expensive lencarta lights. Bought second hand.

Also led me to read more about it through tinterweb and books!

This literally describes me, nearly word for word lol

IMHO.
you've got some ok shots on your Flickr stream, there's some evidence of a lack of attention to detail.

The 'step up in quality' you're looking for occurs in the viewfinder, it's in the planning process.

When you see a subject to shoot, you see 'the subject', when looking at a photograph, the viewer examines every element in the picture, so when looking through a vf we have to ensure that everything we see there 'belongs' in the final image.

e.g. So if your subject is a symmetrical building and the point of that image is the simple lines that show that; make sure you're shooting from centrally and holding the camera perfectly straight, otherwise it becomes a 'wonky snap' of the building.

Hope that helps.

Post photos on here! I've learnt so much just from feedback and CC from other members on this forum. YouTube is great for learning stuff I find also.

This literally describes me, nearly word for word lol

I feel I'm starting a bit from scratch again as I'm delving into film photography.

After looking at lighting, I think more about the foreground and background than I used to; not just the subject.

IMHO.
you've got some ok shots on your Flickr stream, there's some evidence of a lack of attention to detail.

The 'step up in quality' you're looking for occurs in the viewfinder, it's in the planning process.

When you see a subject to shoot, you see 'the subject', when looking at a photograph, the viewer examines every element in the picture, so when looking through a vf we have to ensure that everything we see there 'belongs' in the final image.

e.g. So if your subject is a symmetrical building and the point of that image is the simple lines that show that; make sure you're shooting from centrally and holding the camera perfectly straight, otherwise it becomes a 'wonky snap' of the building.

Hope that helps.

Id agree fully with that Phil, its something Ive picked up on very recently.The bold above is/was how Ive been working for sure.

Back