Steve Jobs, former head of US computer giant Apple, dies

Status
Not open for further replies.
You would have been better off not posting the link as it only draws more into how stupid it is.

Google have put a link to apple on their search page
"Steve Jobs - 1955-2011

A nice touch from a rival organisation.

Consumerism gone mental.

Eltons probably tapping out a tribute song on his iPad as we speak.

if you say so. Personally i think its quite disrespectful to joke about someones death on the day they have passed, but each to their own. A similar joke a few days ago was moderated http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=4024601#post4024601

seems like thats not the case here, but hey ho.

Sorry, I forgot Jobs was a God to you. How about a minute's silence then......

for the 14 workers at the factory in China that produces Apple's products that have committed suicide due to the conditions they are forced to work in (y)

Flash In The Pan said:

for the 14 workers at the factory in China that produces Apple's products that have committed suicide due to the conditions they are forced to work in (y)

You boycott Chinese goods then? ;)

I have to say, I find the outcry of the general public when the famous die a little weird.

A case in point... When Amy Winehouse died a couple of months ago, both my partner and I got a little bored of the "Oh Amy, such a talent, so young to go" style messages on Facebook from our friends. Yes, tragic, but unfortunately she didn't really help herself there...

The really interesting thing was that it was the same week that 60+ students were slaughtered in Norway. How many people even commented on that.. Of the 100 or so friends we have between us on Facebook - not one. I was shocked as that will ultimately affect far more people than the passing of one Ms Winehouse.

Whilst it is sad when someone dies, and especially sad for those truly close to them, they are simply human beings who pass away. You could look at someone making a joke - whether good or bad taste - as an acknowledgement that that person had made an impact and was worthy of comment in some way. After all, there are 6+ billion people in the world, and a fair few die each day. How many of those even get mentioned.....

How about you just keep quiet and show an ounce of respect to someone who has died. Someone who has a family.

Steve Job's people skills were somewhat flawed agreed, but Dell and Acer as well as others also make products in that same Chinese factory. You'd have a tough time laying the blame for conditions there soley at Apple's door

have an opinion by all means but keep it respectful.

Steve Job's people skills were somewhat flawed agreed, but Dell and Acer as well as others also make products in that same Chinese factory. You'd have a tough time laying the blame for condition there soley at Apple's door

I'm not, what I'm highlighting is the outpouring of "grief" for one man, who was essentially just a marketeer, not some sort of god.....

I'm not, what I'm highlighting is the outpouring of "grief" for one man, who was essentially just a marketeer, not some sort of god.....

Fair enough............

My personal opinion is he went a little further then just a marketeer. I'll not have an outpouring go grief for him, but I do think his vision and the things he has been in large part responsible for have a very noticeable affect on many of us.

Great shame he died so young

have an opinion by all means but keep it respectful.

You'll need to explain the difference to me between "respect" and "sycophancy". Job's didn't "change the world" or invent a cure for some life-threatening disease, he marketed computers and phones.

For the record I like both my macbook and my ipad......

Fair enough............

My personal opinion is he went a little further then just a marketeer.

Not really, Apple don't make money based on how much better their products are than those of the competition, they make it through the hype and hysteria that their marketing department are able to whip up.

Jobs was a marketeer par excellence and I have great admiration for what he achieved, but really.......

Not really, Apple don't make money based on how much better their products are than those of the competition, they make it through the hype and hysteria that their marketing department are able to whip up.

Jobs was a marketeer par excellence and I have great admiration for what he achieved, but really.......

but thats only looking at part of the picture, if you look at the whole of what he was responsible for, or involved in then its quite a serious role of achievement and inovation across all the companies he had involvement in.

I know this could go round in circles all night and I don't think its worth going there. Again, just my opinion some of Apples products are better then the competion, some are better marketted, and some got where they are by virtue of being the first and truly innovative.All in all it is fair to say he had a very noticeable affect on many of us.

How about you allow other people to have an opinion :LOL:

How does having a different opinion make it ok to crack jokes about another humans death on the day they died. You aren't exercising a different opinion you are just being disrespectful. Nobodys asking you to agree or like someone. I'm asking you to be respectful about somebody's death, in other words just show simple human decency. Is that possible?

Flash In The Pan said:
You'll need to explain the difference to me between "respect" and "sycophancy". Job's didn't "change the world" or invent a cure for some life-threatening disease, he marketed computers and phones.

For the record I like both my macbook and my ipad......

You could say that apple under Steve jobs command developed some technology that changed a lot of people's lives.

I mean let's face it without some people driving forward technology we'd still be in the dark ages.

Thats why, I may not like some of apples methods of working, but you have to respect the guy and they way he drove the marketing and r&d of not only apple but for raising the likes of pixar etc as a business also.

As for the Chinese foxconn factory and it's workers, as mentioned many other manufacturers use the same factories yet I don't see anyone boycotting their use so let's not get the hypocritical soap box out on that one.. ;)

I agree with boyfalldown... yes, Apple has a good marketing team - it's part of what keeps them in business - but it's probably no better than that of other IT companies. Including Microsoft, who don't even develop some of the products that they badge... (I was once interviewed for a job with one of the companies that produces some of their software...) Besides, anyone remember the frenzy surrounding the releases of Windows 95 and 98? And they were primarily DOS shells with little substance beneath them.

What I believe set Apple apart from the rest is the ability to produce and market their concepts - and I think that Steve Jobs had a lot to do with that...

The first major manufacturer to bring a graphical user interface to market, the first major manufacturer to use a mouse... heck, I even remember the first audio I heard on a computer other than a simple 'beep' being Hey Jude - played on a Mac in the late 80's. Then there's the iPod, the iPad, the iPhone...

I'm not saying that Steve Jobs was some kind of demi-god to be revered and exhalted, but credit where it's due. Yes, it's always sad when someone passes, whether they're high profile or not. But the fact that he had any sort of profile at all means that a lot of people are bound to be affected by his passing in some way - that's just human nature.

May he rest in peace. And for the thousands of others that pass on a daily basis, as long as their memories are cherished by those people that were touched and affected by their own lives, then they've left behind a similar legacy, if you ask me.

Last edited:
I agree with boyfalldown... yes, Apple has a good marketing team - it's part of what keeps them in business - but it's probably no better than that of other IT companies. <snip>

What I believe set Apple apart from the rest is the ability to produce and market their concepts

A contradiction, surely?*

* cue the Airplane! jokes.

How does having a different opinion make it ok to crack jokes about another humans death on the day they died. You aren't exercising a different opinion you are just being disrespectful. Nobodys asking you to agree or like someone. I'm asking you to be respectful about somebody's death, in other words just show simple human decency. Is that possible?

It's called "gallows humour". If you reread my original post you'll see it's not making fun of the manner of Jobs' death, but rather Apple's marketing and the "lost" iphone prototypes.

It's called "gallows humour". If you reread my original post you'll see it's not making fun of the manner of Jobs' death, but rather Apple's marketing and the "lost" iphone prototypes.

I get the joke, thanks for explaining it :wacky:. It's still in bad taste on the day he died in a thread where people are showing their respect and condolences.

Seems like you are incappable of remaining respectful though so I'll leave you to it.

The key word was 'concepts'...

I reckon the key word with Apple is "marketing", it's their ability to differentiate their products from those of the competition and effectively control the sales channels that sets them apart from the competition.

Jobs was part of the marketing, it was his dynamism and promotion of the products that drove the brand, coupled with the tightly-controlled sales channel it put Apple in a unique position. They didn't, however, invent the computer, or the mobile phone etc.

I get the joke, thanks for explaining it :wacky:. It's still in bad taste on the day he died in a thread where people are showing their respect and condolences.

Seems like you are incappable of remaining respectful though so I'll leave you to it.

I'll leave you to your tears and black armband then :)

Jobs will go down in history as a person who has had an amazing impact on everyones lives. Marketing or not he changed the music industry, He changed animation through Pixar, He changed the computer through Mac.

The guy has head an effect on many lives indirectly, and I found the way he did things inspirational. Want to know how to market your brand, look at Apple, the perfect example of it.

Not saying he was a nice man all the time, quite possibly the opposite, but in the same way Al Davis of the Oakland Raiders also died, I have a lot of respect for what they have achieved in their lives, and in my eyes the world is a worse place without those people here.

Some arguments and jokes are just pathetic.

Next time there is a dead soldier thread, I'll start cracking jokes. Wonder if they would be left up or whether I would get some long term time off. At the end of the day it is exactly the same. Mocking the death of a family man.

In the same way as people are saying the outpouring of grief is stupid, spreading jokes about the death of a person to cancer being acceptable because they are famous is ridiculous!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back