Stick Men

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
No
This is something that I'm doing a lot of now, and have had a recent exhibition of them on canvas. I'm looking for other media to print them too, but I thought I'd share them. I'll post a few that I've done, in chronological order, as I've been progressing, and doing specific shoots for people!

It's something I love doing, and it seems to have gone down well with friends and the public alike, which is why I'm out looking for all sorts of opportunities do put them in!

This is the very first one I did, and has done me well so so, mostly because it envokes a parental emotion -

IMG_2473 copy (Large) by donnyburger, on Flickr

and a couple from the very first 'location shoot' - a wood just down the road from where I live.

IMG_2477 copy (Large) by donnyburger, on Flickr

this one is a more 'fun' image more than anything else!

IMG_2476 copy (Large) by donnyburger, on Flickr

One from a kids park in a village nearby, taken around midnight -

IMG_2900 copy (Large) by donnyburger, on Flickr

I'll keep updating this thread as I do them! :)

Last edited:
The onus for me is on capturing an emotion, at least it was initially. As I'm doing more and more, it's becoming more of a story, or a 'life and times' of the stick man. He's going to have a few jobs and hobbies over the next few weeks, and has had plenty already!

Last edited:
Very clever!
They made me smile (y)

Thanks guys. There's quite a lot more, I'm just busy (work and play!) at the mo. Will post more in the brief minutes I get a chance!

well, it different I'll give you that :clap:

Les :D

Haha, thanks. Trust me, the more recent ones are better!

Very impressive! They give a nice emotional connection, I'd say. When i try light painting I end up with limbs floating in mid air, heads especially, you've got my respect with these.

Thanks. It's taken a little time, and some refining of technique, but I'm getting there. I have to really, got some commissions coming up, and they'll need to be right.

Very cool.

A few of them you need to remember not to keep the torch in the same place for too long as some bits are uneven and big blobs of strong light. Very left of pic #4 being a prime example.

Great idea though. Love the first fixing of the car pic!

I really like these pictures, such a fun idea!

If you dont mind me asking - what light source did you use for these, just a basic torch?

Rich

Yeah, I just use a small £2 torch, the duller the better.

I kind of like the bright spots, and there's a few where you can see a shadow of me in it, which I never shop out, because its part of the story of how the image is created. I like the simplicity of it. The simpler the better, and leave the viewer to fill in the blanks, or make up the story that may be in it.

Last edited:
Later the same evening, I went to Miller Ground, a popular place for locals to swim, play, have picnics etc. It's fair to say it was a still night, there wasn't a single stir for the 2 1/2hours I was there, and I was starting to work with longer exposures, the last one being 62 minutes, showing the star trails more prominently.

IMG_7492- copy (Large) by donnyburger, on Flickr

IMG_7493 copy (Large) by donnyburger, on Flickr

IMG_7500 copy (Large) by donnyburger, on Flickr

IMG_7498 copy (Large) by donnyburger, on Flickr

Excellent

Is this just using a torch or do you have a diffuser to give you a little ball of light to work with?

Just using a torch. A non-LED cheapo one. LED's are too bright for this, and create quite large flares at small distances.

Said torch has gone missing this morning, mild panic, as it's created virtually all images to date.

I am really enjoying these. Well executed with thought and good humour.

I kind of like the bright spots, and there's a few where you can see a shadow of me in it, which I never shop out, because its part of the story of how the image is created. I like the simplicity of it. The simpler the better, and leave the viewer to fill in the blanks, or make up the story that may be in it.

I like your philosophy.

Shades of Antony Gormley's Another Place at Crosby? ;)

THis one was done at the weekend as a tongue-in-chek commemoration to on a VW forum I go on!

IMG_1306 copy (Medium) by donnyburger, on Flickr

Shouldn't we have a NSFW tag on the thead now? :thinking: :LOL:

Last edited:
I am really enjoying these. Well executed with thought and good humour.

I like your philosophy.

Shades of Antony Gormley's Another Place at Crosby? ;)

Shouldn't we have a NSFW tag on the thead now? :thinking: :LOL:

Thanks. I know of the Gormleys, just didn't know who it was, I'll be back to create another one, but with more people.

As for NSFW, :LOL: I aim to keep the people as sexless as possible, again, leaving the viewer to fill in the blanks!

Thanks Donny, I might give these a go sometime, they look fun

No worries. :)

Last edited:
these do look good!
this and light painting is new to me ... photography in general is to be honest, but i like these a lot (y)

I've been seeing a lot of amazing shots here in TP lately and the ones in here are no exception. Those are one amazing set of light painting photos, I really can't find any faults with any of them as they all are so good!

Wow, thanks.

It's something I need to keep on at, they have been a source of income in the last 2 months, helping me effectively pay for my camera.

Probably not for this thread, but how easy is it to register with the tax man? I'm beginning to make a couple of quid here and there, and I feel it should all be counted for. I've a few things that I can use to prove I've not actually made any profit as yet (purchase of camera, mainly!), but I think its something I'm sure I need to do.

Any help in this respect would be massively appreciated.

Anyone? Or is it best I ask in another area within the forum?

As you'll see by my post count, I've not been on this one long, so you'll have to bear with me for a little while whilst I find my way around!

Additionally, I do lots or car shoots (static), where would be the best place to put them, as there's a motorsport area, but these don't really count! EDIT: Just spotted the 'Transport' bit, will put them in there yes?!

Last edited:
Back