Beginner Stick to one AF mode, or choose for the situation?

Name
Conan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey people, had another day enjoying using my camera, and was delving into the settings.

I realise for focus mode the difference between settings, and tend to stick with AF-A, sometimes using AF-S if needs be.

However, when it comes to the viewfinder AF-area mode I am unsure what to use. For a long time, I had set the camera (D3500) to single point AF, and chose the focus point I wanted to use with the button wheel.

I did some reading, and tried the other modes. I found the Dynamic area AF to seem no different to single point, but the 3D tracking (11points) I can see if I focus on say the middle point, and either move the camera or the subject does, it flashes red at the point I originally focused to keep focus there.
Auto area AF I do not see the need for, as it seems to select multiple points of focus- I may be misunderstanding the idea behind it, but selecting where I want to focus seems intuitive, whereas the camera choosing random points seems, well, random.

I guess that the 3D tracking may be best for me to use as it does this, but wondered if there are any drawbacks to this? Should I choose the mode depending on the situation, and if so, what situation would single point be of benefit over 3D tracking?

Af area to suit the situation really, I generally rate them in my own level of success or hit rate. (I’m not sure which of these you have on yours but I expect something similar)

Single normally gives the best/highest keeper rate.

But if it’s tricky or moving fast with decent contrast (white bird with green background or red bike with tarmac background etc) you could/try 3D tracking I do find anything other than single a little hit and miss sometimes.

But they all do a job to some degree, so use what’s best for that situation, generally single point but as above with enough contrast the camera will do a pretty decent job of choosing the right AF point.

Back