Stitching a square of images together in Lightroom

Name
Kell
Edit My Images
Yes
Hypothetical question...

I know how to make Panoramas in Light room, but was wondering if it's possible to stitch images together that aren't all in one line.

For instance, if I was to get really close to a building so that I took 9 overlapping pictures in a 3x3 grid. Could I select them all and then ask Lightroom to make one big image?

Or would I have to stitch the bottom row together, then the middle row, then the top row, then rotate them all 90 degrees and stitch the 3 new panoramas together then rotate back through 90- degrees the other way?

I don't have anything in mind, just curious.

Photoshop does it, if you have it...
Pretty sure there are free stitchers available too.

ICE does that for free. Very clever, and I've had some excellent results. In fact, it saved my photos when in Prague as the shortest lens I took was still too long, so I stitched alot of the photos of buildings together.

OK - so I thought about this for a while and took loads of shots of the building where I work.

Tried stitching together 42 shots, and it almost blew up my computer. In the end, I used 27 to create these: First one is using Spherical and the second used Perspective.

I can confirm that I just selected all the shots I wanted to use and it did the rest.

IMG_7938-Pano by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

IMG_7973-Pano2 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Last edited:
Not tried with LR but have used PS to stitch 5x5 and more grid panos. Photos taken in random order and if I didn't quite get the overlap needed (gap in image) I'd take another 1 or 2. The image was often rotated slightly from shot to shot but PS dealt with it well. I think the highest number of images was about 36 to get a flat object 15mm dia.

PS certainly does work.

Back