Stock Photo submission - Commercial or Editorial

Raymond Lin

I am Groot
Name
Raymond
Edit My Images
No
I travel a few times a year, take pictures, but I do nothing with them, I don't print them, I don't even blog them, it just sits in my computer doing nothing so this week I thought I might as well put them on Stock photos sites and see what happens, even a penny earned is a penny more than have for them before now.

The question is…what Usage to categorise them as? Most of these will fit under Commercial as they have no logos, no people faces, it's often back of people's heads and cityscapes.

Like this

8tVyOAS.jpg

75ZAgKh.jpg

Should I put them all as commercial use?

Last edited:
A property release provides written permission from the property owner identifying the subject and consenting to its use for commercial purposes. Without a release, your photographs can’t be used for commercial purposes.

Property types that may require a property release:

• Famous landmarks, historic locations, and modern architecture
  • Copyrighted works like art, books, maps, fictional characters
  • Identifiable exterior or interior of private homes and buildings
  • Distinctive product shapes like toys, bottles, luxury furniture, vehicles, airplanes
  • Unique animals, such as race horses, famous pets, certain zoo animals
  • Properties with photography policies, which may include stadiums, museums, concert venues, amusement parks
The above was taken from alamy help...

If you zoom in at 100% and any logos or company names are visible they’ll be rejected as commercial. You can either blur or clone these or just submit as editorial. I avoided editorial for ages but now find they sell just as much if not more than commercial. Not a huge amount of money in it but as I see it they’re earning nothing sitting in my hard drive. Good luck.

Right I see, so I guess more cityscapes will be editorial since they often have iconic landmarks which is the point.

If you zoom in at 100% and any logos or company names are visible they’ll be rejected as commercial. You can either blur or clone these or just submit as editorial.

Getty took some of my shots from Cornish harbours but I had to clone out all fishing boat ID's before they were accepted.

Getty took some of my shots from Cornish harbours but I had to clone out all fishing boat ID's before they were accepted.

Only signed up to Shutter Stock so far. Getty seems a lot more strict, so not crossed that bridge yet.

Question, do you always submit the max number of pixel resolution from the camera?

Question, do you always submit the max number of pixel resolution from the camera?

My experience is very limited but I have successfully submitted cropped images from D3S & D4 files ... I believe there will be a minimum size though.

No help whatsoever but love the Honkers shot(y)

GC

Back