STOLEN D3s + D300s & more :(

I know how you feel…….
I have heard of this was advise to not set it on the home button but put it in a saved name call it what you like. I not put in address but when parked in my road I do ‘set this place’ as long as it in your road that’s good to get you home.
The worst part I found after having my car stolen and all my camera kit gone was not the loss of the kit but that someone had been in my space I wish I never got my car back as it was never the same also they had thrashed the engine and tried to torch it all fuel pipes was cut and lead under the bonnet ripped out. It only lasted a mth after, I would have been better off if they had torched it as then I have a claim on insurance.

This sounds like an "inside job" if you ask me

As your keys were lifted from your pocket at work how would they know where your car was parked?

Also how would they then know where your home was? (unless you had a sat nav in your car with your home location set)

Inside job or not this sucks big time

Will be sure to keep any eye out on fleabay and the like and let you know if anything comes up

This is the first thing that I thought, sounds to me like they knew all that camera gear was in there if they targeted it.

Either way, it's an absolute shocker, I'm gutted for you. I trust you've passed your suspicions on to the police and they'll be knocking on someone's door soon. Has the car been recovered or did they leave it at your home?

wow.. that's terrible mate... hope at least your insurance will cover all that gear.

Sorry to hear the news. Hope you and others reading this thread will learn from it.

Modern thieves now target getting hold of the car keys. Via fishing rods or other methods threw letter boxs, or in the work place, public places where people leave there coats, bags. So simple rule one keep your keys on you as much as possible when out, and not on the table by the door at home.

As already been said the cars been ided by walking around the car park pressing the fob. Nothing you can do to stop this other than keep your keys on you. When in the car as most people have a sat nav; the thief will look it over and find home. This along with keeping all keys together means the theves have about a hour to get there and nick what they can. So simple rule 2 use the town center or as I do the local police station as the home location. You should be able to find your own way home from there. Rule 3 never leave documents with your address on in the car.

Another simple rule to help the emergancy services in case of a accident is on your mobile phone put "(ICE)" next to the people you would want to be informed next to there name. Save them going threw everyone in the phone book.

Hope this does not sound to patronasing. Its meant to be simple advice to help stop the same thing happening to anyone else.

Hope you get everything sortted.

That's some good advice for everyone i think. (y)

My satnav is set to the neighboorhood but will have to change it somehwhere further now...

Ryan,

Very sorry to hear this mate - that's terrible news.

Really hope you sort this out, and they catch the buggers responsible..

Sorry to hear about this and i hope you don't have any difficulties replacing what was stolen.

I would say they didn't have a clue what you had in your house and were only looking at stealing things that they can sell without to much difficulty and were light weight enough to be carried.
Check if any bags are missing from your house.

Also just check your rubbish bins outside if they have dumped anything to be collected later.
The stolen items will probably be fenced on for next to nothing.

Get a burglar alarm as this was the 1st thing we did after we are experience.

Thanks jaymd. They pinched a pillow case off my bed!! Never occurred to me how resourceful burglars are.

Was going to ring cash converters to alert them but guess what? - no national phone number. Well done Cash Converters - keep the nations burglars in business!! Idiots!

Ryan my greatest condolences I found myself writing a very similar post to this some 7 weeks ago on here, we were asleep in bed when they stripped our window out took all our camera gear and got away in the focus ST.
sadly none of the items have been recovered and im hopefull things will be replaced soon.
This is a terrible ordeal plagued with stress and I can totally relate..
I hope things run smother for you than they have for us in getting replacement items and if I can help in anyway with how the process goes through etc.. i would be more than happy to help just pm me

just for a speed thing make sure your insurers apply for the police report immediately these can take up to 40 working days and the insurance will do bugger all till they have it!
best of luck in sorting it all out. make your house secure ASAP as you dont want sleepless nights...
get yourself a safe!
chers Andy

Bastids :shake:

At least if you've got a "suspect" for the police they have something to work with. This open plan ideal in benefit offices is a nonsense - when I worked there we had an inch thick panel of reinforced glass between us and our "customers"...

we had an attemped break in last week

window smashed
window frame prised open

however they were disturbed by neighbours

just not a nice feeling

we have just had an alarm fitted. many come with key fobs like remote alarm for cars, i guess a downside to this technology if keys were nicked and address was known ;-(

Some people need shooting, simple as that.

Assuming you're fully insured I'd also think about a lock-box for the house in case they return after you've replaced. It sounds like the police should have a good chance of getting them though.

Glad to hear the house side of things is getting sorted quickly...have you told the police everything you said on here re: your client and his friend?

Also, have you "made the call" to the camera insurers yet? Let me know how it goes and whether they will still be trading after they've paid out!

julian

Glad to hear the house side of things is getting sorted quickly...have you told the police everything you said on here re: your client and his friend?

Also, have you "made the call" to the camera insurers yet? Let me know how it goes and whether they will still be trading after they've paid out!

julian

Hi JF

I spoke to my camera insurers today. They've taken details of all that was stolen and are now going away to sort out replacements. Apparently they use 1st Cameras for replacing the kit.

I've told them that the D3s and the 24-70 need to be replaced yesterday and they are seeing what they can do.

Will keep you informed.

wow.. that's terrible mate... hope at least your insurance will cover all that gear.

That's some good advice for everyone i think. (y)

My satnav is set to the neighboorhood but will have to change it somehwhere further now...

Set it to your nearest police station!

Sorry to hear of your plight Ryan. I notice you are in Cambridge which isn't a million miles away so if you want to borrow my D3 you are more than welcome, it's not the 's' model unfortunately and I need it for a couple of jobs next week (Weds/Thurs and Saturday) but let me know if you need it any other time - lenses also available if required.

This reeks of an inside job. They could have followed you home one night which means they knew which car you drove and when you would be home.

Still, thankfully there was no-one home or it could have got ugly.

Mate this is awful news. Hope it gets sorted in the easiest way possible.

Have you checked your wallet?

Update #234 - Locksmith has just left - all sorted on that one.

Mate this is awful news. Hope it gets sorted in the easiest way possible.

Have you checked your wallet?

Yes mate - keys were in the coat but my wallet was in my back trouser pocket as always (thankfully)

Christ, that's terrible - good luck getting everything replaced.

I think it's persuaded me to get insurance... which insurer to do you use for your stuff?

I've only just spotted this thread, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. I just hope your insurance sorts this out promptly and the police catch whoever was involved. Best of luck.

Just a thought, but you might want not to tell the insurance company that you left your car and house keys unattended in a public area.....

Best to stick with the truth. If the police have been told where the keys were the insurance will need to get the same story.

I am sad that this has happened to you.

Personally, I have my GPS set to one of my neighbours houses
(however, I do have my insurance certificate with my address on it in the glove compartment :-( ).

Bad news indeed and very sorry to hear it. You are taking it all very well, considering.

Hey Ryan, I don't suppose there's any CCTV about is there?

Just a thought, but you might want not to tell the insurance company that you left your car and house keys unattended in a public area.....

I certainly wouldn't advocate defrauding your insurance company by witholding material facts. You'd risk not getting paid for your loss plus a whole heap of other trouble! :thumbsdown:

I really feel for you on this one! October last year I had my car broken into and a few items were stolen, thankfully nothing of much value, but its really heartbreaking!
sounds like you've got your head screwed on though as nearly everything seems to be sorted! Hope the Police catch whoever did this!

Ryan - just a thought and assuming you bought the d3s on the credit card, do they not have to insure it for a certain amount of time afterwards?

Awful Ryan, I dont have much gear but if I can lend you anything please ask.

Hope the insurers give you great service

Best to stick with the truth. If the police have been told where the keys were the insurance will need to get the same story.

It's ok - all parties know the exact truth. I told them I am a muppet and that I left the keys in my coat. No one has decided they won't pay out (yet).

I certainly wouldn't advocate defrauding your insurance company by witholding material facts. You'd risk not getting paid for your loss plus a whole heap of other trouble! :thumbsdown:

I perhaps worded that wrongly, what I mean is that Ryan has openly stated on a website that he left his car and house keys in his jacket pocket, unattended in a public area. I believe the relevant term is "reasonable care".[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/FONT]

Back