Stonechat with Icicle Boots!

Edit My Images
Yes
Posted in Talk Nature as its more for interest.

Yesterday I photographed this Stonechat flitting about a reservoir drain on the South Pennine moors.

Something didn't look right, it wasn't until closer inspection of the photo we noticed ice had formed round both its legs. I thought we might have seen it pecking at the ice trying to remove it but it didn't seem bothered. It appeared to fly fine, if only in short burst, low to the ground.

Its definitely not something I've seen before, hopefully it'll survive until we get a thaw.

Stonechat.jpg

Never seen anything even remotely like that before Phil.
They say that birds have a sort of 'antifreeze' in their feet so hopefully this little fella won't come to any lasting harm, but I have my doubts. :(

Never seen anything like that. poor mite, hope it pulls through.

Never seen anything even remotely like that before Phil.
They say that birds have a sort of 'antifreeze' in their feet so hopefully this little fella won't come to any lasting harm, but I have my doubts. :(

Never seen anything like that. poor mite, hope it pulls through.

It does seem fairly unusual, only had a quick Google but can't find any other photos like it.

What I would say, after spending a good 10 minutes watching it yesterday, my optimism is fairly high for its survival.

Temperatures have been above freezing in the sunshine as well today, hopefully it had the sense to sit in the sun :)

Back