Stop-down metering - Praktica/Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar

Name
Keith
Edit My Images
Yes
I picked up a Praktica MTL5 with a Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm 2.8 on Friday. The metering button works, but the lens doesn't automatically step-down, it always stays at the aperture I've set it to. Is this normal for this lens - ie, is the auto-stop-down metering something that not all lenses support? And if so, I should just focus wide-open and manually stop down and meter? (If so, I kinda like it. I really have to stop and think instead of snap-shooting.)

Cheers!

You should have a switch on the side of the lens that has 'A' on one side and 'M' on the other make sure its at 'A' which is the setting for auto iris.

Quite normal if this a full manual camera. Unless it has a aperture priority
option that is not selected!

I picked up a Praktica MTL5 with a Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm 2.8 on Friday. The metering button works, but the lens doesn't automatically step-down, it always stays at the aperture I've set it to. Is this normal for this lens - ie, is the auto-stop-down metering something that not all lenses support? And if so, I should just focus wide-open and manually stop down and meter? (If so, I kinda like it. I really have to stop and think instead of snap-shooting.)

Cheers!

Just push the pin in at the back of the lens to see if working, that is what is used to stop down............. by the camera body

Found this on a Photo.net thread re: the MTL5 and its lens

Chris Dzombak , Aug 12, 2008; 10:44 p.m.

It turns out that the lens was stuck in 'manual' mode, meaning that the automatic step-down was disabled. The switch for M/A was stuck, so I figured that since it only cost $10 it couldn't hurt to take it apart. It wasn't too bad - I only took off the very back ring that mounts to the camera. I found that a small bearing which the switch relies upon had fallen out of place, so I replaced it and now the lens works almost perfectly. The diaphragm blades are still stick sometimes; I think there's a little oil on them.

The full thread is here

Back