Stop Xfactor being christmas No.1

I think anyone who buys this song specifically for the purpose of stopping Matt Cardle reaching number 1 is an idiot. On balance, I think anyone who pre-ordered "The X Factor Winner's Single" before they'd even heard the song or known who had won is also an idiot.

I remember when buying music was about loving music, I think the chart should reflect this and not be about whether you happen to dislike The X Factor.

Hasn't a large selection of the Beatles back catalogue recently been issued on Itunes? Surely some of that will hit the top of the charts.

I remember when buying music was about loving music, I think the chart should reflect this and not be about whether you happen to dislike The X Factor.

Agreed.

Hasn't a large selection of the Beatles back catalogue recently been issued on Itunes? Surely some of that will hit the top of the charts.

No because almost everyone who likes the beatles will have it on CD due to it not being on MP3 legally. Therefore no one is really buying it.

Not a good move Steve, not a good move.

The only single I support is 4'33 by cage against the machine as the money goes to charity.

Buying a song to stop x factor being number one is as stupid as buying the x factor single.

I suppose Art Brut said it best

"popular, culture, no longer, applies to me"

If you go via 1 retailer you can do it effectively for free, twice - as there's a code for £1 free credit and then the song costs £0.47, so it's free.

Just thought I'd post it on here anyway, I didn't start it :)

John Cage for number 1

When I was told someone was putting out 4'33" as a Christmas single I didn't believe the person telling me, but it's the best idea I've heard in years.

There are too many songs and campaigns now to stop it getting to Number 1. Last year everyone focused on RATM but it wont work this year. In anycase I dont buy music anymore!

Does it really matter? if you like a song, go and buy it. If you don't like it, don't.

Why get fussed over what everyone else does?

I might well be wrong, but "Take That" is probably a strong contender to keep it off of the #1 spot :shrug:

Everyone moans about Cowell seemingly dominating the charts and the X-factor being a farce but I find it strange that people would follow a random Facebook request (maybe from the execs behind the artist) to nominate a different song to keep the X-factor winner off the top.... the irony

The Trashmen - Surfin' Bird - what a load of rubbish....

RATM got to number one as it was a strong song to start with.

not keen on that song, and agree with the irony point, and with the buy music cos you like it but too. Cardle should have recorded The First Time as he knocked that one out of the park.

Does anyone really care these days what single is number one.

It only take a few thousand sales to hit the top of the charts, 99% of the xfactor/you got talent winners are only going to be around for a week or two anyway.

The real problem is other artist are not getting their stuff heard, ANY singer will get to number one if the have them on prime time TV week after week.

Does anyone really care these days what single is number one.

It only take a few thousand sales to hit the top of the charts, 99% of the xfactor/you got talent winners are only going to be around for a week or two anyway.

The real problem is other artist are not getting their stuff heard, ANY singer will get to number one if the have them on prime time TV week after week.

That is why I think it would be funny if 4'33 got number 1.
It would show people the stupidity of fixing number one spot.

It would also be a good reference as to how many people do not like X-Factor.
People can vote for X-Factor, but in reality there is no way of voting against X-Factor.
It is an artificial concept, and the television is used to 'encourage' people to spend money on purchasing what will possibly be a mediocre tune.

It is an artificial concept, and the television is used to 'encourage' people to spend money on purchasing what will possibly be a mediocre tune.

Compared to buying 4 and a half minutes of silence? :wacky:

It's like creating a file 800x600, completely white and putting it up for crit here.

X Craptor is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo frickin' Crap !

why is it even being discussed on this good site ??

The advantage of buying the silence, is that it is more a statement, we would rather listen to nothing, than listen to something which has been created, not for art, but to make money.

A white box, is a good analogy, yes. Would you rather look at a blank piece of paper, than some of the 'art' which wins some contests.

A white box, is a good analogy, yes. Would you rather look at a blank piece of paper, than some of the 'art' which wins some contests.

What I would rather do is irrelevent though - because it's Art, if 1 person likes it (including the artist) then it's done it's job.

I don't really care about who's at number one. It was humerous last year with RATM got to it supposedly via facebook, but to try and do it again probably wont work and doesn't have the same appeal (a bit like XFactor/Britains got Talent/Big Brother etc etc) the second, third, fourth.......

What I don't agree with is someone presenting an A3 sheet of plain paper and stating it's "Art" (and I am sure this has been done a million times) - that's just ridiculous, because ANYONE can do it. It takes no talent or work whatsoever. I could have conducted that orchestra.

The advantage of buying the silence, is that it is more a statement, we would rather listen to nothing, than listen to something which has been created, not for art, but to make money.
Then don't buy anything at all - silence is free. ;) :LOL:

What I would rather do is irrelevent though - because it's Art, if 1 person likes it (including the artist) then it's done it's job.

I don't really care about who's at number one. It was humerous last year with RATM got to it supposedly via facebook, but to try and do it again probably wont work and doesn't have the same appeal (a bit like XFactor/Britains got Talent/Big Brother etc etc) the second, third, fourth.......

What I don't agree with is someone presenting an A3 sheet of plain paper and stating it's "Art" (and I am sure this has been done a million times) - that's just ridiculous, because ANYONE can do it. It takes no talent or work whatsoever. I could have conducted that orchestra.

Then don't buy anything at all - silence is free. ;) :LOL:
But that wouldn't register with the makers of the trollop, that people
(or at least myself) are fed up with the tripe they produce

That [the statement] is something I 100% agree with

But that wouldn't register with the makers of the trollop, that people (or at least myself) are fed up with the tripe they produce

Most of the music released in this country is tripe - 99% of the "artists" can't sing for toffee and it's all amended in a studio. Get them on a stage and they sound awful.

If anyone is planning on spending money on a silent track can buy some ear plugs from me. They're re-usable so you can have your moment of silence anywhere! No need for batteries either. :wacky:

Most of the music released in this country is tripe - 99% of the "artists" can't sing for toffee and it's all amended in a studio. Get them on a stage and they sound awful.

You mean the music you hear on commercial radio, there is a huge amount of great music from the UK, it just does not fill the middle of the road pap most radio plays.

You mean the music you hear on commercial radio, there is a huge amount of great music from the UK, it just does not fill the middle of the road pap most radio plays.

Not really, I'm a country music lover so theres not much choice apart from Dolly Parton and Willie Nelson tribute acts :LOL:

Four and a half minutes of silence will probably sound good after hearing some of the singing on the xfactor.

History shows that even X Factor winners who get the Xmas no 1 have a limited if not a non existent shelf life so other than adding to Simon Cowell's obscene bank balance it does sod all.

I shall continue to listen to proper music

I saw this on facebook, LOL'ed at the video, even if the song is a bit naff

x-factor isn't much better and tbh the music I listen to isn't "conventional" anyways

:)

Leona Lewis has done well for a winner, likewise Will Young, some of the losers have done well too, JLS being a good example

Didn't work did it!

I always think of things like this as walking into a room and trying to change the channel on the telly just because you don't like what's on. Doesn't matter if someone else was watching it.

Anyway, 4'33" was never going to challenge as no way were that many people ever going to be persuaded to buy it.

Damn! I hate X Factor. Not so much of Cowell, but the rubbish they have in. I mean, singing different styles of music... Can you imagine the likes of Elvis, Jagger or Bowie doing this? None would have a hope of winning X Factor. It is bland pop, end of!

Back