Stopped Smoking

Edit My Images
No
Well after 20 years of smoking, i decided a the weekend that i was stopping today on my wifes birthday, not had a ciggie since last night at 10pm, a bit of a struggle as ive decided to leave the pack of fags in the house, rather than not smoking cos i have none. I also err smoked bad stuff too over the years so had to come to terms with that too. So far i dont feel too bad, just a feeling in my chest like I WANNA KILL SOMEONE but asides that i think its going good.

My wife suggested patches but i am determined to do it cold turkey, well today at least.

The reasons - well im getting to the stage taht i dont think i will see my youngest sons 16th birthday. and on the weekend when i lit a ciggie, he asked me to stop cos it made me cough all the time and that was a shocker to me.

So wish me luck folks, cos i think im going to need it.

The very best of luck mate.

I am sure Marcel will be along very shortly with some excellent advice and a link to a special book that comes highly recommended apparently. ;)

The very best of luck mate. :thumb: I really need to kick the pathetic habit myself, and I promised my brother who died just before Christmas that I would.

Best of luck :)

I packed up drinking alcohol last year after I added up that I'd got through more than 90 pints in under three weeks. I'd mostly drink at home so I'd drink myself stupid as I didn't have to worry about finding my way home after.

What worked for me, was finding something to replace it with. I started drinking mineral water instead and I was getting through four litres of it per day at one point. I just needed to be drinking something.

Now, I couldn't care less about getting drunk. There are times and occasions when I want to have a drink and occasionally I do, but for the most part I don't bother with it any more. Life's been a bit stressful of late and I've had a couple of "I could do with a pint or six" moments, but so far I've kept it all under control. ;)

Congrats on packing up smoking anyway. You'll live longer and people won't be able to smell you coming a mile off. ;)

Thanks guys, my main greiff is really having smoked canabis too for many a year, im giving up both, not sure if its sensible to do that, but lately ive been taking or leaving it, not the ciggies though, im not a drinker but do like a tin of millers at night in front of telly. Im actually struggling at the moment quite bad, all my thoughts are cigarettes, but i think i can fight on. Im just looking to get through today, if i can do one day then thats a milestone and il work on tomorrow when it comes.

Thanks for the support folks.

Goodluck Barrymoir, as stated by yourself you have the best reason in the world to give up - so stick with it:clap:

:thumb:

Best of luck with it, I managed to quit for 2 years using the patches, then made the massive mistake of starting again, not sure how, biggest regret of my life so far.

Patches are ok, easy to roll - b*****d to light!

Liberalis said:
Best of luck with it, I managed to quit for 2 years using the patches, then made the massive mistake of starting again, not sure how, biggest regret of my life so far.

Patches are ok, easy to roll - b*****d to light!
Stick one over each eye so you can't find your cigs. Sorted. :thumb:

Best of Luck . Ignoring the obvious health aspects you can look at it as a Photographer , Pack in smoking and you can buy a brand new 'L' class lens and take a Carribean holiday each year :D

I gave up 12 years ago. I went from 70-80 ciggies a day to none over night. The first 5 days are the hardest.

What I found worked was everytime i want a fag, I would eat some chewing gum instead.

After 3 weeks I started coughing up all sorts of gunk from my lungs, but you will start to feel the benefits.

just keep with it

Easy for me to say, but I gave up Cold Turkey in 1998 (same week the Berlin Wall came down) my incentive was my (then) GF witholding Oral priveliges until she was convinced I'd quit!

I went onto six packets of Jaffa Cakes a day and couldn't go to the pub for six months (pint in left hand, ciggy in right - it just felt wrong holding a drink in the right hand...).
I then went onto running ten miles a day to work off the Jaffa Cakes.

If you can go for long walks as well, it'll really help the lungs recover faster. Boredom is the worst enemy - you feel bored and to fill the time, will want to smoke a fag. Try doing anything to fill your time - anything that doesn't involve just sitting still.
I also started making Airfix kits again, just to occupy my hands - had dozens of bloody Spitfires, Hurricanes and FW190's all over the place - went to great detail, finding original photos of real aircraft and re-creating them.
I even built a Huey Gunship with a "Rambo Combat Chopper" as the base and scratch-built all the internal cockpit detail using photos and drawings supplied by Bell Textron in Texas.

I'm not suggesting you go that far, but you'll need something...

I smoke approx 5 a day but have done for 15 years. Must give up at some point.

Wishing you the best of luck. I suppose at least you won't get the munchies as much... (my brother stopped using cannabis after Christmas and lost almost 2 stone in a month!)

You have the best reason in the world to give up, and with a bit of willpower, you can do it.

Best of luck mate, i really hope you do it.

Unfortunately i still smoke, and am under constant pressure off the offspring to stop, which i realise i must do.

Have stopped a couple of times for 3 months, using patches, but the wont power took over and i started again.

I have just been to the doctors for other problems, and of course he brought the smoking issue up again, he suggested using "Zyban" tablets, but after reading a few report relating to this drug i am not so keen to try it, so it looks like patches again, but i really want to stop.

Mike

Best of luck matey

I packed up just over four years ago, I went from 40 a day to 0 a day in one move, it wasn't easy but I found that setting my goals low to start off with and then as time went on I'd set my goals to be that much harder.

Start off slowly, watch out for the munchies. I found that having sugar free gum worked for me.

Don't forget that national no smoking line they keep advertising on the telly you could always give them a ring for help and advice.

Thanks for support folks, so much appreciated, just bought myself a wad of gum, and chewing when i need a smoke, the morning craving has gone now so i feel quite good so far now. Just binned anything smoke related in the house except for 10 ciggies, if i bin those then im stopping smoking cos i have none rather than stoppping smoking cos i want to. So wife has put them away for me.

Best of luck mate,
don't give up on giving up.

I am into my 18 month now after puffing (in more ways than one) for forty odd years,put a lot of weight on,but I can walk upstairs,run for a bus and sleep at night without waking myself up wheezing.

I did it on a course of patches from my surgery,wished I'd have known how easy it was years ago.

I'm addicted to chewing gum now.
John.

i gave up a while ago too, and im pleased i did. Just knocked it on the head one day, sorted!

All the best mate, good on yer, I gave up cold turkey for 3 months and found that if I replaced the cigs with something else it helped. I bought a cheap set of golf clubs (£65.00 from argos) and took up golf. The exercise helped keep the weight down and I actually enjoyed it.
The worst thing I did was accept a cig at my dad's funeral, I was back on 20 a day in a week.
Since then I have tried again but it is so much harder the next time.
Good luck and best wishes

I gave up years ago, so well done for trying mate !

The worst thing you can do is say "well just 1 wont hurt!!!" because it usually does as several people have already confessed ! :)

If you can find soemthing else to do it will help keep you busy and occupied and stop the idle hands looking for the fags ! ;)

Keep it up and best of luck !

As someone who has never ever tried a cigarette it is hard to see what the initial attraction is - but I don't doubt its addictive power.
Having seen what my father went through as he slowly lost his fight against lung cancer I would not wish that on anyone.
So come on - show us your will power :)

well done mate, i smoked for over 20 years , but packed up 19 months ago,on D-day, just so i remember. have put on a stone in weight, but hey, it got me my 350d so chin up and think of the smoke free future, you wont regret it.

Arkady said:
Easy for me to say, but I gave up Cold Turkey in 1998 (same week the Berlin Wall came down) my incentive was my (then) GF witholding Oral priveliges until she was convinced I'd quit!

Your selling yourself short Arkady ..... the wall came down in November 1989 :banghead: You've been 'clean' longer than you think.

I gave up smoking for GOOD on June 1st 2004, after 40 years...I started smoking when I was 11 years old! I've tried many methods to stop smoking, including patches....... and eating anything and everything I could until I put too much weight on. I also started to smoke the occasional cigar, which soon became one a day, then a pack of cigars a day, then 2 packs a day!!! The method I've used to stop for good was listening to a hypnotherapy CD of Paul McKenna's. Now before anyone says anything, there was no bigger sceptic of hypnotism than me..... but I haven't smoked for over 20 months now, and I've no intention of ever starting again.

Good luck to you whatever method you use Barry :thumb:

Mike

You're a better man than me Gunga Dinn! Good luck. I've not had a ciggy for about 20yrs but have always puffed on a pipe for nearly 50yrs and coming under increasing pressure to give that up - even the Government is going to make it more difficult!

well thats me on day 2, i never slept a wink last night, and i am really struggling lol, not enought to start though i hope, im on my 5th pack oof airways chewing gum. Last night was really really hard though.

Thanks for all the support again, i really do appreciate it, some have smoked longer and more than i have and if u can do it then surely i can.

Keep going, thats the spirit. Like the others have already said, find something to keep you busy and take your mind off it. :)

Mr THX said:
Your selling yourself short Arkady ..... the wall came down in November 1989 :banghead: You've been 'clean' longer than you think.

I'm always doing that - I've 'lost' a decade in there somewhere... now where did I put it...

I quit smoking on bonfire night 2003. Still clean now, and I know I'll never smoke again.

I quit using Allan Carr's "Easy Way To Stop Smoking", bought from Amazon for about 6 quid.

I have lent the book out and recommended it to people since then, and I have a hit rate of roughly 10 out of 11 people. (The 11th never finished the book).
You have to keep smoking until youve finished the book, and once you get to the end, it's like some magical switch and been flicked.

I got to the end, and was smoking my last cigarette, and was gagging on it. For some reason it just tasted disgusting. I was heaving. I almost got to the end and stubbed it out. Leaving two dimps in an ashtray on my shelf. Over the next 3 weeks or so I would take a sniff of the ashtray every now and then , to serve as a reminder, and I never wanted to go back.

All I could think when I finished the book was "Why the hell did I smoke for so long? It's horrible!"

He doesn't preach on about why you shouldn't smoke, he instead, explains why you DO smoke, and once you understand why, it is soooo easy to say "Well there's no point in me smoking anymore is there?"
He blows all the excuses out of the water, such as "It relieves my boredom", or "It calms me down" or "It's habit". All rubbish, and he explains why.

Can you sum it up in a single para please, I'm far too busy to read it.....

;)

Well good luck to you Barry, from someone who quit seven years ago myself. I understand the battle and how hard it is! Fell off the wagon once but, never went back after that. Just think of your kids yes, you'll find the strength within. Life is too short as it is, it's so not worth it!

Good luck to you once again,

Jewel :)

Marcel said:
I quit smoking on bonfire night 2003. Still clean now, and I know I'll never smoke again.

I quit using Allan Carr's "Easy Way To Stop Smoking", bought from Amazon for about 6 quid.

I have lent the book out and recommended it to people since then, and I have a hit rate of roughly 10 out of 11 people. (The 11th never finished the book).
You have to keep smoking until youve finished the book, and once you get to the end, it's like some magical switch and been flicked.

I got to the end, and was smoking my last cigarette, and was gagging on it. For some reason it just tasted disgusting. I was heaving. I almost got to the end and stubbed it out. Leaving two dimps in an ashtray on my shelf. Over the next 3 weeks or so I would take a sniff of the ashtray every now and then , to serve as a reminder, and I never wanted to go back.

All I could think when I finished the book was "Why the hell did I smoke for so long? It's horrible!"

He doesn't preach on about why you shouldn't smoke, he instead, explains why you DO smoke, and once you understand why, it is soooo easy to say "Well there's no point in me smoking anymore is there?"
He blows all the excuses out of the water, such as "It relieves my boredom", or "It calms me down" or "It's habit". All rubbish, and he explains why.

It took him long enough but I knew he would post it. ;)

Can I say I told you so? :p

Back