Storage bottles

Name
Garry
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm getting prepared to develop some B&W film.
I bought a couple of those AP collapsible storage bottles, and can't say I'm too impressed with them considering how much they cost. I squeezed one down with some water in it, and put the lid on, and an hour later it had extended itself back out again, so not very air tight.

What do you reccommend to use for storing fixer, etc?

Cheers

I don't think fixer or stop bath (if you use it) deteriorate when exposed to air - so any bottle is OK for storage.

I used to use glass bottles for storing developer. Air space was minimised by filling up with glass marbles.

I use the 2 pint milk bottles for storing my developer. They're OK until I've squeezed it down to just less than 1 pint, at which point I transfer it to a 1 pint milk bottle and throw the 2 pint one away. I have one screw top in which I have glued a circular piece of bike inner tube rubber, which seems to help with the air seal.

I'm getting prepared to develop some B&W film.
I bought a couple of those AP collapsible storage bottles, and can't say I'm too impressed with them considering how much they cost. I squeezed one down with some water in it, and put the lid on, and an hour later it had extended itself back out again, so not very air tight.

What do you reccommend to use for storing fixer, etc?

Cheers
Agree about the collapsible bottles and stopped using them years ago. Proper chemical storage bottles aren't cheap, but you should only need to buy them once. The Kaiser ones at the link are £12.99 for 3, or the seller also has them at £4.99 each, all with £3.60 postage. As mentioned above, glass marbles to fill them up works well.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KAISER-S...a=1&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

I use collapsible bottle without any problems. I also use amber glass bottles with those vacuum corks that are for wine bottles.

glassbottles.co.uk

1L Amber Glass Medicine bottles with a Polycone cap. £2.37 each at the moment. My collapsable ones went in the bin. Don't retain the seal, and difficult to clean with all the ridges.

Thanks for the replies.
For the price, I thought mine would have a rubber disc in the lid instead of a piece of card. I'll use my present ones for now, and upgrade next time I'm getting stocked up.

Fixer gets so loaded with silver that it deposits on the inside of the bottle which is a pain in accordion bottles, any bottle that holds the right amount and can be sealed will do

Thanks for the replies.
For the price, I thought mine would have a rubber disc in the lid instead of a piece of card. I'll use my present ones for now, and upgrade next time I'm getting stocked up.
Thats odd as my AP ones came with a rubber disc. Must have changed them, no wonder they don't work for you.

Agree about the collapsible bottles and stopped using them years ago. Proper chemical storage bottles aren't cheap, but you should only need to buy them once. The Kaiser ones at the link are £12.99 for 3, or the seller also has them at £4.99 each, all with £3.60 postage. As mentioned above, glass marbles to fill them up works well.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KAISER-S...a=1&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

I use these kaiser bottles.

Wide mouth makes pouring chems back in from developing tank a doddle with no need for a funnel.
They are air tight and bounce well if dropped, without any leakage of contents.

Easy to rinse out when needs be.

I leave my un-mixed fixer and stop in the original bottles, don't worry about marbles (they go into the HC 110 bottle as it's used up). Mixed fixer/stop is usually in a plastic clip-seal jar of an appropriate size. It's currently a bit confusing as I use 200 ml in the Rondinax or 800 ml (ISTR) in the Paterson tank for 4x5 tacos. :(

Back