storage ideas please...

Edit My Images
Yes
ok: so i've just accepted a job working with mark warner in egypt for 3 and a half months. I obviously wanna take my camera out (k10d plus lenses) and was wondering what the best solution for storage/sorting would be.

a few ideas so far of mine:

1. computer (laptop)

the best obviously (could put photos on it and use photoshop: so could shoot raw and see them and edit them whilst i'm out there). I may also be able to get internet access and upload to a pro flickr account.
however, expensive and valuable: dont want it to be stolen etc...

2. Storage drive

would enable me to see photos, but not process them untill i come back to the uk (meaning i would have to spend a few days processing i i shoot in raw like i normally do).

3. Lots of memory cards

probably cheaper than the storage device but dont get to have a proper look at the pics before i get back to the uk (the k10d doesn't have the best of LCDs).
Small and easy to use.

any other ideas...?

thanks
Charlie

Looking at what's on the market you are going to be spending the same sort of money whichever option you go for.

Personally I'd leave the computer idea behind. To obvious and too tempting. Loads of cards OK but a bit untidy. Storage devices might be the best option. I've not used any of these, as I use a lap top when out and about. Google for reviews, some I hear are better than others. Also check on how easy they are to recharge.

Got an iPod. May be able to use that to store images. They used to do a card reader for them, don't know if they are still available

Do you have access to a pc near where you are going?

possibly...but not definitely, and if so i most probably wont be able to use it for more than 10-15 mins every few days...probbly way less than that

What about a card reader and a USB hard drive then?

if there will be a pc then just use it to store your photos on something with a large disk space like an ipod....which also serves anouther purpose....

well...i doubt i'll have much access to a pc...if i do i'll be wanting to use it to check my emails and upload a few jpegs to flickr.

Charlie, I'd invest in a cheap laptop (even though I hate them, PCs are soooo cheap these days) and buy a portable drive, something like a LaCie Rugged (the rubberized one) and sort everything through that.

Portable storage drive might not be big enogh for nearly four months of pics.

As for memory cards - they get loast easily and you'll need to use them anyway.

I'd go for the cheap laptop on this one too, OK, it is a bit bigger, but it serves another purpose and even the smallest of laptops will have a much better screen than a media storage device...

Back