Storage problem.

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
I got a 32 GB USB stick (Kingston) and I am wanting to transfer upto 16 GB of music from my phone to the stick for my car.
Now, I know 16 goes into 32, 2 times but I only want to transfer as I said, 16GB but when I try paste the music over it tells me that there is not enough storage space.
Now this has me confused.
I have formatted the stick on the PC that I am using, would it be fair to say that the 32Gb usb stick is no good, dead, useless or whatever?
Looking via This PC, the stick has 28.8 of free storage space so I don`t see there should be any problem.

Are the files larger than 4Gb? If the stcik is formatted as FAT32 then that will be your limit.

Bob

Have you tried transferring a file or two if you plug the stick into a computer? If successful, it makes me wonder if it it a file type question and/ or file structure on the usb stick (FAT, FAT32, ext.......)???

Are the files larger than 4Gb? If the stcik is formatted as FAT32 then that will be your limit.

Bob
Thanks,
As stated, I am trying to transfer 16 GB of music from phone to a 32 GB USB stick or am I confused by what you mean.

Have you tried transferring a file or two if you plug the stick into a computer? If successful, it makes me wonder if it it a file type question and/ or file structure on the usb stick (FAT, FAT32, ext.......)???
Should it be anything else other than FAT 32?

Thanks,
As stated, I am trying to transfer 16 GB of music from phone to a 32 GB USB stick or am I confused by what you mean.

Is the music contained in 1 file or are there multiple small files. If it is 1 file of 16Gb and you are using FAT32 format then it won't work as the maximum permitted file size will be 4Gb

Last edited:
Is the music contained in 1 file or are there multiple small files. If it is 1 file of 16Gb and you are using FAT32 format then it won't work as the maximum permitted file size will be 4Gb
Ah right, multiple files, ie, 1 track each song or album.

Ah right, multiple files, ie, 1 track each song or album.

The devil is in detail, perhaps try transferring a single small file.......one song???

The devil is in detail, perhaps try transferring a single small file.......one song???
Yeah looks like thats the way to do it, I just thought it would be straight forward, seems not.
Thanks for your replies.

The only reason I can think of, as others have mentioned is if 1 individual file exceeds 4gb due to being formatted to FAT32

Try reformatting the stick to NTFS and see if you get the same issue.

Yeah looks like thats the way to do it, I just thought it would be straight forward, seems not.
Thanks for your replies.

I was suggesting the single file as a test.......................I would find it strange that if you are sending a batch of files that would cause an issue with the 4GB limit, as I thought that was a 'per file' max size limit??? But you are talking about from Phone to USB stick, so perhaps that introduces its own "issues"???

The only reason I can think of, as others have mentioned is if 1 individual file exceeds 4gb due to being formatted to FAT32

Try reformatting the stick to NTFS and see if you get the same issue.
I tried your way, format in NTFS and low and behold, it transfers all ok.

Thanks for that.

I tried your way, format in NTFS and low and behold, it transfers all ok.

Thanks for that.

Don't forget to update with 'does the loaded memory stick' work in the car?

With just under 2000 song`s/albums it`ll take all night, yeah I will update.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

With just under 2000 song`s/albums it`ll take all night, yeah I will update.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Crikey, sounds like a big enough library for the car to take you 'round the world'.....................with 2000 playing in shuffle mode (if the in car player can do that?) I surmise you are not likely to hear the same two in sequence in your lifetime ;)

Crikey, sounds like a big enough library for the car to take you 'round the world'.....................with 2000 playing in shuffle mode (if the in car player can do that?) I surmise you are not likely to hear the same two in sequence in your lifetime ;)
Haha, well as it goes, on my phone I tend to hear the same tracks day in and day out with some variation and the phone is not on random either. No idea what`s happening there but I do like what I listen to :)
In the Car I wont be in charge of music play, that`s Mrs Grahams job :(

The question you need to be asking now is will you car audio system read a NTFS formatted memory stick?
Apparently not, Just tried it and nothing found so copy all tracks to another HDD (and wait a long time) format the usb again in FAT 32 and transfer all again (and w a i t) again.

And all works fine now but its just weird that it didn't work before.

Back