Storing chemicals, room temperature

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello you lot.

We live in an old cottage, the loft is converted into an office where I have been keeping my chemicals in a box, I haven't used them for a month or so and realise now that it may not be ideal as the room gets really hot in the warm weather, the kind of hot where it's stifling and anything more than a pair of shorts is uncomfortable. I take it that this is not ideal for storing chemicals? Are they done for?

The only other place is our larder which is quite stable temperature wise but does get a little damp in the colder months which is why I initially didn't keep them in there, but maybe that would be better?

Since they're in bottles, I don't think dampness would harm them. I keep mine in a plastic crate under the stairs. (Whenever my OH spots them she grumbles about keeping "chemicals" in the house. My pointing out what's in the cupboard under the sink doesn't seem to stop this happening!)

Temperature, I dunno, someone who does ill be along in a bit. Generally higher temperatures are likely to speed up any decomposition processes, though.

You should be able to look up data sheets for the individual chemicals, and most/all of them will have something on storage. I checked for Ilford ID-11 as I have recently made up a batch, and am a bit surprised to see them talking about storage between 4 and 20C.

STORAGE
Always store chemicals in their original packaging
and away from unsuper
vised children and pets.
Unopened packets of PERCEPTOL, ID-11 and
MICROPHEN powder stored in cool and dry
conditions, 4–20ºC (44–68ºF), will keep
indefinitely

. Once opened prepare stock solutions
immediately

Back