storing your photos

Name
Kim
Edit My Images
Yes
How does everyone store their photos??
I have nearly filled up my memory card in my camera. I am a bit worried about just storing them on my laptop as that crashed not long ago deleting everything on it. So how to store?! I was thinking of buying a 16gb flash drive usb thingy. Stick them on there.

Just wondering what other people do?!

Hiya

I keep mine on a sep hard drive
Also backed up onto CD's

That way hopefully if I lose one lot:eek: I will also have a back up(y)

Buy an external hardrive. They are very good value these days. The Western Digital MyBook ones are excellent.

as said above, its best on external HDD's....

I have 2 external's, and need to remember to store them separately!!! :O

2 external HDDs and DVD/CD backups as well. Optical disks get checked every 6 months or so (3 or 4 random disks checked by viewing a slideshow of the images) to ensure they're still OK - no probs yet but expecting some after 5 years...

I copy from the card to my Mac. Stored on external drive....then backed up to 2nd external drive...Then backed up to DVD, 2 copies.

If you're going to store them on 2 dvd copies, then it's best to make those 2 dvds different brands.

How does everyone store their photos??
I have nearly filled up my memory card in my camera. I am a bit worried about just storing them on my laptop as that crashed not long ago deleting everything on it. So how to store?! I was thinking of buying a 16gb flash drive usb thingy. Stick them on there.

Just wondering what other people do?!

Hi Kim

USB memory sticks are not really the best option for backing up your photos.

I personally suggest an external USB Hardrive something in the region of 1TB in size, they are very reasonable in price today especially the Western Digital My Books.

My workflow is simple but does work well for me.

1) I use Adobe Lightroom as my catalogue and editing program
2) I store all my images on my Local C Drive in a folder called Master Photos
3) I use a program caled Genie Backup Manager Pro which then copies by Master Photos folder to my external hard drive every day at 11pm

This way I always have 2 full copies of my photos should one of the drives fail.

Ian

Last edited:
Two external hard drives attached to my laptop, and now got a new PC which I got an external Hard drive for a few days ago, important photos are now going on an external on each system, plus DVD back-ups, also I rarely delete off of SD cards, I prefer to just buy more cards though it`s getting a bit silly now as I have so many, so when I`ve done all the transfers to the third HD and DVDs I`ll clear a card or two, well, maybe I`ll clear my 1 and 2 gig cards [ several of ], when I`ve filled my four 4gig, two 8gig and one 16gig cards :LOL:

Can I revive this to ask how people backup from external drive to dvd? Wouldn't you be sitting there for hours swapping DVD's in, as the drives store about 50 to 100 times as much data?

IF you've got a hard drive bursting at the gills with un-backed up files, it could take a while to get them all copied to DVD but if you keep on top of it, it's a quick and easy job. A 4 gig card fits neatly on a single layer DVD.

Just had to buy a new desktop computer and have spent a while (well, the computer has!) transfering backed up pics and other files from an external HDD to the internal one on the new 'puter and that took a while, although it was a completely automatic process (although it did grind to a halt when the default time for the screensaver arrived...)

Thanks. As you say I might have a big job to start with but after that I can keep on top of it. Going to pick up a couple of 1TB western digital externals.

I ahve come to cds from 5 yrs ago.. burnt and tested at the time.. cant access them now... good job I ahve other copies... Now everyhting doubled up on 2 seperate external HDs I dont trust dvd or cd fr long term storage

I don't trust CDs and DVDs full stop, since getting into the habit of burning `em with checksums and parity volumes.

The ultra-cautious should buy their external drives a few weeks apart, to get different batches. Maybe with different drive manufacturers, too. I had an unused drive sitting around for just over a year and it wouldn't spin up when I wanted to use it, so cost £14 to send to Iomega in Holland for a remanufactured exchange. The replacement seemed to be suffering the same fault, until I gave it one last try before boxing it up, when it burst into life. I guess the bearings get a bit gummy in storage. Last week my main internal Seagate drive finally crapped out, after plenty of warnings, and three years into its five year warranty.

I've had CD/DVD completely fail after being stored for a few years too. I suppose it's worth it just as another chance to have important stuff kept. That was a very good point about buying your drives at different times. Wish I read it 2 hours ago :)

Currently they go into a folder on my PC and after a while go on my external, they'll also be backed up to a 2nd external when I get around to sorting it out (not a dedicated external, a standard I popped in a case). While obviously I'd rather not it'd not be a major disaster if I lost mine, so I'm not ovely cautious!

Back