Storm Agnes.

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
This is the first-named storm of the season. Here's a link to 'Walesonline' published at 1152. The storm is now classed as 'a danger to life' for parts of Wales and a yellow alert is in place for the whole of Wales for tomorrow and Thursday https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/met-office-upgrades-storm-agnes-27787998

It seems that the Met Office are having difficulty forecasting exactly where the storm will hit in the UK. The whole of Ireland is in line for dangerous conditions, though.The storm is an offshoot of ex-tropical storm Ophelia which hit the US east coast last weekend into the early part of this week.

Its track with explanation: https://www.met.ie/storm-agnes

My barometer is reading 1027 at the moment, heavy rain. At present storm Agnes is out in the Atlantic west of the Bay of Biscay but as it nears the SW of Ireland and UK it makes a turn north crosses the Jet stream (140mph approx) and the pressure drops rapidly. I heard one forecaster say it was a weather bomb":..ie the central pressure of the storm falls 24 mb in 24 hours The official name is 'explosive cyclogenesis'. Winds of 80/90 mph by 9.00am tomorrow off the SW of Ireland. They think it will 'fill' (central surface pressure rises) as it makes landfall in SW Ireland which will lessen the winds..relatively..to 60/75 mph. The worst for Wales and the NW of England will be around 5.00pm tomorrow.Winds of 70-85mph are forecast as the storm travells through the narrow St Georges Channel so Anglesey will be affected badly. Really, from just south of Cardigan Bay (St Georges Channel) through the Irish Sea into the North Channel. Belfast-Larne and in Scotland Stranraer. Draw a line from Plymouth through Cardiff to Hull and the highest winds are west and north of that. It's through by late Wednesday evening.

It's not just the wind,it's heavy rain and Wales is forecast to be hit tomorrow afternoon (4.00-5.00pm)with a heavy band travelling through Cornwall and Devon,too right through the evening but the heaviest rain will be Carlisle north.The SE won't be so affected. It could have been a lot worse for more of England had it tracked a little further east from the outset. There's another Low developing on Thursday evening which will make landfall in Cornwall about 1600..Very heavy rain and strong winds. Friday High Pressure develops over the weekend but doesn't last.

Hopefully, we'll see some great photos from those who live on or near the coast....safety allowing of course. I've seen some impressive photos/videos from Aberystwyth front during storms like this one. Barra (Dec 7 2021 and Eunice February 17th last year

Last edited:
Very calm here at the moment but will be open to the full force tomorrow ,they estimate 3 pm will be worst thankfully the tides are fairly low This week . But who knows with storm surges etc .. but i’m perched on a hilltop overlooking the dee estuary and Irish Sea with nothing in front of us

Last edited:
Nothing much happening here in Cornwall at present, just a dull mizzle-day and hardly any wind at all.
Got a covid booster this morning so am expecting to feel pretty rubbish for the next few days (they usually hit me hard) so doubt I'll be getting out much.
The hosepipe ban we've had for the last year or so was lifted a couple of days ago - can't see many taking advantage of that quite yet!

8.18 a.m not a breath of wind ,usual morning light grey overcast . Calm before the storm ..Will update later

This is the first-named storm of the season. Here's a link to 'Walesonline' published at 1152. The storm is now classed as 'a danger to life' for parts of Wales and a yellow alert is in place for the whole of Wales for tomorrow and Thursday https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/met-office-upgrades-storm-agnes-27787998

If that's from Wales Online then that could mean a heavy drizzle.

Nothing here but a light drizzle and Ventusky Radar suggesting Light to Moderate rain at worst (30dbz).

Last edited:
They have been predicting this for here for a couple of days, for today.
So far light cloud cover and no wind.
21 Km/hr winds and rain is predicted within the next hour.

According to the rain radar......it is almost upon you

Stay safe all

Hmm, the mizzle has stopped, the 15 drops of rain happened and now its just a grey day with a slight breeze.
I might regret saying this soon, but it's a normal autumn day here, might go for a walk.......

Hmm, the mizzle has stopped, the 15 drops of rain happened and now its just a grey day with a slight breeze.
I might regret saying this soon, but it's a normal autumn day here, might go for a walk.......
Hmm! unless storm level winds are due Cornwall does not appear to be on the firing line for the rain......unlike it seems NI, Irish Sea & North Wales. It seems to be slow moving but very heavy rain showing on the rain radar I linked to.

PS those bright colours= a lot of rain for some folks.

Last edited:
2.43 p.m bit of light rain and winds picking up a bit ,just a normal day so far

2.43 p.m bit of light rain and winds picking up a bit ,just a normal day so far
15:04 Its supposed to be raining, its overcast and light winds, no rain. Its currently 18oC

16.24 pm sky Clearing winds rising and gusty , looks like it’s moving north east so the hills are protecting us

Nothing here, apart from a bit of a breeze and a few thunder spots about half an hour ago.

Extra balls ready for tomorrow's course...

Nothing here, apart from a bit of a breeze and a few thunder spots about half an hour ago.

You were well out of it's range. It didn't track as far east as they forecast but to be fair the Met Office said it wasn't sure of its track and where on the UK west coast it would hit.

Anyway..'till the next one ....:)

You were well out of it's range. It didn't track as far east as they forecast
It was coming here, right up to the minute it didn't :D
Clears sky and mild here ( 17oC outside)

It was coming here, right up to the minute it didn't :D
Clears sky and mild here ( 17oC outside)

I often look at the forecasts and watch how the thunderstorms, out of France, so regularly pass over the SE of England . As you will know, after they pass through, there are often fantastic lightning photos on social media mainly taken in West/East Sussex,Surrey,Kent and superb ones of lightning over the Channel. Their track will take them over London ,Essex,Suffolk and out over the North Sea. It's caused by the Coriolis Effect. Here's a very short video. For Northern France read Texas and for SE England read Delaware. I just have a keen interest in all this and know just enough to understand what's happening but ,as you'll appreciate, meteorology is a very complex subject most of which is way above my head.

Coriolis Effect is named after Gaspard-Gustave Coriolis (1792–1843), who described it mathematically in 1835.

https://education.nationalgeographic.org/resource/coriolis-effect/

so regularly pass over the SE of England . As you will know, after they pass through, there are often fantastic lightning photos on social media mainly taken in West/East Sussex,Surrey,Kent
I'm largely protected by the Chiltern hills, from the worst of it.
However, sometimes the storm gets trapped, mostly snow, goes over and bounces straight back, rinse and repeat until it's worn out.

I'm largely protected by the Chiltern hills, from the worst of it.
However, sometimes the storm gets trapped, mostly snow, goes over and bounces straight back, rinse and repeat until it's worn out.
Snow ? I have to look at photos to see snow :D

Storm Agnes was fairly tame for us. We have been sleeping recently with our windows ajar and the wind catching those last night disturbed us but I have seen/heard far worse.

Last edited:
It got a tad blowy early hours ( when I needed to get up for a comfort break) its calm and overcast now.
Wet stuff predicted in an hour, with no wind.

I live by the coast of south Wales and it was pretty tame here, we have much worse winds and rain with no warnings if I'm honest. The powers that be went into panic mode and the M4 was 20mph (not that anybody took any notice).
As of now 10.42 theres a light breeze and dry but grim looking.

It's supposed to be raining here, I washed and waxed the car during that time.
Still nothing :D

ab0baef0851efdbe071fe5011da9c2fe93d2f533.jpeg

Back