Storm Damage

Yes, it's actually Tuesday that I've marked in my diary. That's the point at which I'll be phoning my insurance company and giving them a final opportunity to sort things out immediately.

Weighing up whether I've been waiting too long or not, I would imagine they had thousands of claims flooding in after storm Katie so I've tried to be realistic about their workload. But come next week, I will have run out of patience. Some of the builders told me that it can take weeks and weeks to battle out a resolution. Ugh - I don't need that.

Well, it seems like the ultimatum I gave the surveying company/insurance company in my last (firmly worded) e-mail has worked. I've had two very pleasant and helpful phone calls today from both the surveyors and the insurer, and it appears that everything has now been sorted out.

For information - when you send quotations through the insurance company will of course take the cheapest quote and base their settlement on that, then they will deduct your excess. In my case this is dealt with by the surveying firm, and they did not include the VAT in their offer, which I have to claim back afterwards from my insurance company. Apparently the funds will take 7 to 10 days to come through.

So glad that is finally sorted out, my roof has been getting a bit soggy in the recent rain and I was worried the damage would get worse if this dragged on. Thanks to everyone for replying to this thread.

That's a great result. Just a pity it had to take so long because of the insurance company (or those representing the insurers) were so objectionable.

Dave

That's true, some of the builders I spoke to recently said that they were sorting out roof damage straightaway because insurers generally settle within a week.

One lingering disappointment is the fact that I never had an acknowledgement of the complaint I made in writing on second of April - regarding the behaviour of the surveyors when they came to do their report. I did raise that again today on the phone and they said the complaint will have been forwarded to the relevant department and they will have acted on it. So at least they got it (rolls eyes).

Back