Storm Imogen in Porthcawl

Kei

Name
Kyle
Edit My Images
Yes
Took a trip down to Porthcawl this morning to catch the end of the high tide combined with the strong winds. (insanely strong) Got quite a few good shots of the waves. Only processed two so far, and I've got two films from the 6x7 in tanks ready to process this afternoon too.

Porthcawl Lighthouse Storm Imogen by Kyle, on Flickr

Last edited:
That breakwater is always a good place in a storm and I think you've captured the action admirably

Definitely a case of "capturing the moment" - I would never have guessed there was a lighthouse underneath thet wave in the first one!
Very spectacular.

Was it the waves, or is the horizon really tilted in the second one?
It looks like you levelled the top of the breakwater, not the horizon.

excellent second shot, when the storms approach most run for cover where as most photographers rush for the outdoors

Thank you all for the kind comments. Considering I've been photographing the world for just over 20 years, this was actually a first for me.

Definitely a case of "capturing the moment" - I would never have guessed there was a lighthouse underneath thet wave in the first one!
Very spectacular.

Was it the waves, or is the horizon really tilted in the second one?
It looks like you levelled the top of the breakwater, not the horizon.
Well spotted, thought I'd corrected my wonkyness but I was indeed slightly out on that one. I've ninja edited it now. ;)

A few more from of the digital shots. The tide was well on it's way out by the time the sun briefly came out. Just waiting for the black & white films to dry so I can get on with scanning them.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Du4k5d]Porthcawl Lighthouse Storm Imogen by Kyle, on Flickr[/URL]

Last edited:
I saw the first and thought "Hang on...isn't there supposed to be a lighthouse out there?"
Scrolled down......"Ah yes! There it is!".
Well captured action. :)

Edit....Oh, more! :)
(The horizon is pretty off in the second one of the second set :) )

Last edited:

Yes, that's the way to do it!
Great rendition in #2.

A lovely set, somewhere I should've visited when I lived in The Valleys.

Stunning set of photographs that really depict the power of the sea. Very well taken

I really like the first one on the page... Great capture - I'll be heading back to Wales in a couple of weeks - it'll probably boring and calm when I'm there...

Your first shot in your second posting is simply 'awesome'. Might take a tad of the LHS however.

Great shots. I had hoped to go out myself today but 'er indoors suggested it may be in my best interest to repair the shower instead! :wideyed::chicken::cautious:

Powerful indeed......really like #3! :)

The last one does it for me; it's nice to see something different. If I wasn't working today, I too would have been down there. I captured something similar last year but was never to keen on it as the crop was too tight.

James

Some top work there, really amazing shots.
How tall is that lighthouse? Those waves look frankly scary.

Excellent photographs, really capture the drama.

Thank you all for the comments and any critique.

@julianhj The lighthouse is 30 feet tall.

@Nguss Here are the best of the film shots. Really should have used the 645 instead as the longest lens for the RZ I have is 127mm which is a bit short. There is also a small lag on the RZ shutter plus 1/400s max shutter speed is also a bit low for fast action.

Kodak T-max 400
Porthcawl-400TMY-2-10 by Kyle, on Flickr

Porthcawl-400TMY-2-04 by Kyle, on Flickr

Porthcawl-400TMY-2-08 by Kyle, on Flickr

Porthcawl-400TMY-2-07 by Kyle, on Flickr

Fuji Neopan 400
Porthcawl-400PR-05 by Kyle, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back