Stormy Lyme Regis

Purely my opinion, for me, too many people in the shot and also nothing to say it's Lyme Regis really... I was expecting a moody shot of the Cobb! But the main deciding factor is, do *you* (and the mrs) like it. It's your lounge wall not mine. :)

Bright and punchy colours
accurate WB
clever tonal ratios
and properly dramatic…
do it again, Terry! :)

Not sure about on the wall, but it's got a certain 'Martin Parr at a distance' feel about it. Very British seaside shot, make the most of the weather. Needs to be seen large

I like the light and scene Terry also like the pano view. It looks much better on flickr, but there are a couple little D&B marks from processing, 99% of people won't see them so it's not really an issue, but just thought I'd mention it.

Im with the wife , get it up on the wall , lots of interest , colour , dramatic lighting , very nice

Remember ! , A Happy wife = a Happy life :cool:

Thats a great shot! I love the juxtaposition of the moody sky and holidaymakers on the beach

Thanks all. I've been out of sorts for a while and have not taken anything I've liked for ages.

This may be the push I need.

I'll get to the D&B marks Neil (well spotted)

I agree with @DorsetDude about the amount of people in the images. I've seen an image in my camera club (I live about 5 miles from Lyme) focusing on the colours of the beach huts and it seemed to work well. So if you had your images with the doors on the huts all shut and no people in the way I think it would make your images better. That's NOT saying they aren't any good in the first place.

Every time I photograph Lyme I try to do images that are different from everyone else's, so no Cobb. So well done you for posting something different.

Last edited:
I really like it. For me the people give it more vibrancy, and the fact that the sun is shining where most of the people are, yet with dark and moody weather looming, makes a great portrayal of British holiday weather. Well done for not going for the obvious. The white balance looks a touch on the blue side to me.

I agree with @DorsetDude about the amount of people in the images. I've seen an image in my camera club (I live about 5 miles from Lyme) focusing on the colours of the beach huts and it seemed to work well. So if you had your images with the doors on the huts all shut and no people in the way I think it would make your images better. That's NOT saying they aren't any good in the first place.

Every time I photograph Lyme I try to do images that are different from everyone else's, so no Cobb. So well done you for posting something different.
EDITED: I forgot to put the NOT in, sorry lol

Last edited:
I noticed lol.
Don't worry I knew what you meant.
digging-himself-a-hole.jpg

Yes hang it up. It's fab. Means even more to you and the Mrs as you were there. The people were there it's life and they add to it. There are hundreds of images without people in them which are also great but this is better for them in it imo :) (Keeping it real)

Gaz

Cheers Gaz,

My other half loves the people sunning themselves on the beach whilst a ruddy great storm passes by.

I'm going to get this printed big I think.

I normally use Pro Am Imaging but I'm not sure if they can deal with non standard sized prints.

Loads to look at in this shot so I think it would work very well, printed big and hung on a wall.

This might just be me but I would have a quick go at cleaning up the edges. In the small TP version I thought the two guys in hats on the far right were distracting but not so in the larger one on Flickr. But the person wading in the water right against that edge of the shot caught my eye (as did the black thing above his/her head). Similarly, on the left edge there is a bit of blue rope(?) intruding at the bottom and there is a white triangle just above the bricks. These have zero impact on the image which is lovely, but if it is on a wall and I am looking at it day after day these little things catch my eye. I say this from the experience of having a pano right opposite where I sit down to eat and one tiny aspect of the print really bugs me now.

I normally use Pro Am Imaging
Hi Terry. My Mrs would like that aspect too she loves images that you can keep going back to and picking things out that you don'e see on first glance.
Pro Am not used them. I used Dscl like most people whom I know use them. Not sure how big you planning. At Dscl if they don't have the size of paper the correct size. You normally select one larger if poss and create a document that size/res an drop your file into it. This maybe teaching you stuff you are already aware of and i'm no expert but thats what I do.
Hope it looks fab :)

Gaz

Loads to look at in this shot so I think it would work very well, printed big and hung on a wall.

This might just be me but I would have a quick go at cleaning up the edges. In the small TP version I thought the two guys in hats on the far right were distracting but not so in the larger one on Flickr. But the person wading in the water right against that edge of the shot caught my eye (as did the black thing above his/her head). Similarly, on the left edge there is a bit of blue rope(?) intruding at the bottom and there is a white triangle just above the bricks. These have zero impact on the image which is lovely, but if it is on a wall and I am looking at it day after day these little things catch my eye. I say this from the experience of having a pano right opposite where I sit down to eat and one tiny aspect of the print really bugs me now.
Thanks Ian. I shall be going over it with a fine tooth comb over the weekend

Terry.

Light looks good to me! And if it's a nice memory of a holiday or the like, I'd be sticking it up on the wall!

Does appear to be a bit busy for me with no particular detail to pick out sorry.
GEORGE.

It's a Martin Parr plus. Great shot, but too much for the wall.

Love it it tells the story of our love of a day at the seaside and chance we as brits take with the weather hang on the wall and love it

Not my type of shot at all but I really like it (y) The contrast between beach/buildings and the clouds caught my eye first and then I got sucked into exploring the detail and people.

Back