Straightening a bent panorama

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I got this stitched pano today but you can clearly see it is bent. Any tips on how to straighten it with minimal loss too height ? (I guess it will end up distorted tho)

Chris

To be honest with you Chris, on my monitor I cannot tell if the picture is bent or not. As i don't know the location I am not in a position to comment.
However on the plus side, I love the two faces you have captured in the rocks on the right hand side of the picture (y)

To be honest with you Chris, on my monitor I cannot tell if the picture is bent or not. As i don't know the location I am not in a position to comment.
However on the plus side, I love the two faces you have captured in the rocks on the right hand side of the picture (y)

Took a lot of skill to get those faces (he says going to have a look for them).

If you look at where the sea meets the cliff on the left it's skewed 'up'. But thanks for not noticing it.

NOW I see what you are talking about as I can see the dip so to speak. Being a newbie at image manipulation I really cannot offer you any advice on how to fix it.

In respect of the faces, have a look at the big rock face on the RHS. There is definitely a mouth, a nose and a pair of eyes. Then scan slightly left to what appears to be a sunlit rock and there is, to me, an animal face and part body in there as well.

To me it is amazing how we all see something different in a picture and how our mind interprets things.

Main face seems pretty obvious.
The top right rock could be a face in profile.
Can't see the animal though!

Warp tool works in PS.

I suspect you know, but ensuring your tripod is 100% level before taking your photographs will ensure it's level when stitched.

Cheers.

Tripod? Yeah, didn't plan on this today. Wind was howling and waves lapping around my feet.

A couple of things spring to mind:
  • Did you use a wide lens? - that can be a problem with stitching panoramas
  • Re-run the stitch trying both rotational and spherical stitching to see if one gives a better result than the other.

Carry on!

Okey doke. Try this for size.

Faces.jpg

Now if you look at what appears to be the sunlit rock to the left, I can see a somewhat smiling mouth, a nose above it, a closed eye to the right and an open one to the left and the body trailing behind it.
It looks a bit like a prehistoric monster?

Put it in RAW edit and use the correction tool on the right panel. Can't remember what it's called off hand, but it enables you to adjust various distortion factors. Think it's also in main Photoshop menu.

Either reprocess indvidual images and using content aware scale togive more height or just try ythat on the panorama.

A couple of things spring to mind:
  • Did you use a wide lens? - that can be a problem with stitching panoramas
  • Re-run the stitch trying both rotational and spherical stitching to see if one gives a better result than the other.

That is what I was thinking then content aware fill might allow you to turn it a little and fill in more sky.

To correct the image posted In PS the tool I would use is Puppet Warp as you can pin and fix the position of the parts of the image you do not want to move.

Photoshop stitcher is abysmal compared to tools like PTAssembler or PTGui for panorams. as is it has no means of correcting such things.With those two programs you can straighten anything pretty much automatically.

In the first shot The various dots represent control points, and the two orange lines represent two parts that I wanted to make true vertical The various curved oblongs show the outlines of 4 curved Hand held shots. I took more shots than strictly necessary so that I could select the best arrangement of the moving figures.
You can mask shots to show the figures you prefer at what ever level they are in the stack.

I used recti-perspective projection so that converging lines were straight not curved as in Cylindrical projection.

The red line across the centre is the eyeline and can be moved up and down and tilted. If it is moved up or down the image will become curved. so can be used to correct curved horizons.

Last edited:
Thanks for all taking the time to reply and offer suggestions, I will give them all a go over the next few evenings and see how I get on.

One of the key things to remember is to not use wide angle, probably 35mm FF equivalent at most (shoot in portrait to gain image height).

that would be ideal, however the minimum is closer to 24mm, and you can shoot in vertical orientation to get more in.

Back