Strange artefact appears in photo

this is why I wondered if it was someone up in the top right behind the trees with a laser, as it seems to go up and through them
Looking at the image in post#17, would have to be a tall person, and there doesn't look like there is anything there.

With the line being in the same place in those 2 shots, it almost has to be something that is/was physically there.

I think the comments suggesting it was in the camera came from (certainly mine) :-

"I took a lot of photos after this image and it didnt appear,"
and
"myself as to why it happened just once and never before or since"

Which I understood as being it was only on one shot !

My comments are certainly not what I think now after seeing the two shots :)

I think the comments suggesting it was in the camera came from (certainly mine) :-

"I took a lot of photos after this image and it didnt appear,"
and
"myself as to why it happened just once and never before or since"

Which I understood as being it was only on one shot !

My comments are certainly not what I think now after seeing the two shots :)
apologies I meant by the one sequence

Is it a location the OP could easily visit again? If so (and if my suspicion that it's a physical entity rather than a camera induced artefact!), maybe they could check to see what it is!

Is it a location the OP could easily visit again? If so (and if my suspicion that it's a physical entity rather than a camera induced artefact!), maybe they could check to see what it is!
Its in Ilfracombe

I can't see anywhere on the ground a laser could come from, the beam would go high above anything

ib.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at the location and guessing (a little dangerous but IF I'm right, it could be important!) that the shots were taken from near "Verity", I still reckon it's a fishing line that the OP didn't spot when he was taking the shots.

Looking at the location and guessing (a little dangerous but IF I'm right, it could be important!) that the shots were taken from near "Verity", I still reckon it's a fishing line that the OP didn't spot when he was taking the shots.
As the info grows, inclined to agree, and being close to the camera could well appear straight, and at the moment is the best fit.

However, with the original info, I wouldn't have thought that :)

Not much to go on in the OP!

Its in Ilfracombe

I can't see anywhere on the ground a laser could come from, the beam would go high above anything

View attachment 415003
In the original posted photo, the RAW file which Andrew forwarded to me, the line extends from a point that would HAVE TO be in the water, all the way to a point in the sky...if there was someone on a boat or in an aircraft of some sort, that would be the ONLY possible explanation of the line extending from bottom edge to right edge of the photo taken!...but I have never seen any laser light of any similarity to the color of that line, and fishing line would not have that thickness.

Last edited:
I can see the line in the sky over the second tree in from the right. Post 17.

Last edited:
In the original posted photo, the RAW file which Andrew forwarded to me, the line extends from a point that would HAVE TO be in the water, all the way to a point in the sky...if there was someone on a boat or in an aircraft of some sort, that would be the ONLY possible explanation of the line extending from bottom edge to right edge of the photo taken!...but I have never seen any laser light of any similarity to the color of that line, and fishing line would not have that thickness.
I agree on the laser colour, very rare in any field, especially of the power needed to see it like that without any haze etc.

The OP also mentioned "true but the hill goes up much further towards buildings" the only buildings I can see in that direction (unless very new) are far away behind more trees hedges.
Looking at the landscape, even if there were new buildings, the line would go well over the top.

If the fishing line was quite close to the camera (relative to the beach), it could well appear as in the photo, you would of course not be seeing the actual point the line entered the water, or the rod end of the line, but just a short section that crossed the frame.
So for now, with the information we have so far, I would think Nod's idea is the best fit.

If you look at where the shot appears to be taken from, you can see that it's very possible for a fishing line to be across the line of view. Look at Google Earth, search for Verity public art and look towards Rapparee Cove. The OP says that the thing in the corner of one of the affected shots is a railing, so I'm fairly sure he was shooting from the area near Verity.

There’s parallax differences visible between the two frames, and fishing line would fit that.

Reactions: Nod
Thats what I though in the beginning.

If during the course of shooting the pano , the sun popped in and out of the clouds then the assumption its fishing line holds as It would only show up in sunlight . I will go with fishing line probably abandoned due to the hook getting caught as there’s no sign of a human presence or possibly a line set up for later retrivial when the tide comes in .
In fact looking at the Ariel photo top of page theres car park to the right ,path down to cove , so depending on actual geology there could possibly be a fisherman out of sight or even one that’s set his gear up and popped back to the car to get something ,or gone for a wee or poo even abducted by aliens .. when in doubt in Cornwall best to call doc Martin or even vera LOL

Last edited:
Looking at the image in post#17, would have to be a tall person, and there doesn't look like there is anything there.
A 6 foot tall fisherman standing behind the bushes Steve with a 13 foot beachcaster the line would be at least 16/17 feet in height steve

If during the course of shooting the pano , the sun popped in and out of the clouds then the assumption its fishing line holds as It would only show up in sunlight . I will go with fishing line probably abandoned due to the hook getting caught as there’s no sign of a human presence or possibly a line set up for later retrivial when the tide comes in .
In fact looking at the Ariel photo top of page theres car park to the right ,path down to cove , so depending on actual geology there could possibly be a fisherman out of sight or even one that’s set his gear up and popped back to the car to get something ,or gone for a wee or poo even abducted by aliens .. when in doubt in Cornwall best to call doc Martin or even vera LOL

Ilfracombe was in Devon last time I checked!

A 6 foot tall fisherman standing behind the bushes Steve with a 13 foot beachcaster the line would be at least 16/17 feet in height steve
:)

And how far would he be from behind that tree/bush to the water?
And if he could cast +-350' and did hook anything how would he land it?
And if the line was in that position, stretched out over that distance, there would be a curve as mentioned

The below image is taken from Google Earth to illustrate where I THINK the photographer was standing (red ring) and where a fisherman MIGHT have been (yellow ring).

Untitled.jpg

It might if it was in close proximity to the lens and out of focus.

Ye
The below image is taken from Google Earth to illustrate where I THINK the photographer was standing (red ring) and where a fisherman MIGHT have been (yellow ring).

View attachment 415099
Yes, both somewhere around that region, point is, close to each other compared to the distance to the beach

Ah it’s Devon . That puts a new light on things definetly aliens LOL

Only some of us.

I mean them!!!

If you look at where the shot appears to be taken from, you can see that it's very possible for a fishing line to be across the line of view. Look at Google Earth, search for Verity public art and look towards Rapparee Cove. The OP says that the thing in the corner of one of the affected shots is a railing, so I'm fairly sure he was shooting from the area near Verity.
OK, even if it were a fishing line as you hypothesize, it would not be absolutely flat in space...it would have some degree of curve along its length....it would have to be absolutely taut metal wire for zero sag. Plus, it would be sufficiently out of focus to not be so perfectly portrayed as a sharp edged feature in the photo, as @Plain Nev points out wouldn't it?!

Last edited:
Under any tension, a fishing line is as near as dammit straight.

As you pointed out in an earlier post, the line has to come from the water and ends in the sky - IMO, fishing line is the only possible answer. On a different computer, I have a similar shot and the line shows as a line as sharp as in the OP's shots.

Would light reflecting off the said 'fishing line', increase the pixel width?

Would light reflecting off the said 'fishing line', increase the pixel width?
It could have the opposite effect, either due to reflection off the curved surface, or due to the "lens" effect of the line.
Take the flash reflection off a bottle, or a bright object behind a bottle of water, if you only saw the bright part of either, both could be smaller that the bottle.

could have the opposite effect, either due to reflection off the curved surface, or due to the "lens" effect of the line.
Take the flash reflection off a bottle, or a bright object behind a bottle of water, if you only saw the bright part of either, both could be smaller that the bottle.
So is focal length the reason why is it so thick when compared to the fence post behind?

...and being slightly out of focus.

Could it be a strand of spiders web blowing in front of the lens and catching the sunlight?

Possibly, but I would expect a bit of web to show more sag than a taut fishing line.

Back