strange ebay bidding

Name
Ujjwal
Edit My Images
No
Please look at the bidding on this item

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280561761746&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

There are 13 bids apparently, but the bid is still at at 99p. How does that work? Is it one person bidding against himself, and no onle else bid, so the first bid still stand? If its teh same guy bidding, why is he bidding against himself for 13 times over a span of a pretty long time. Or is there a scam I am missing?

Never seen anything like this before, and being interested in the item, just curious

Last edited:
All 13 have bid 99p, basically the bidding doesn't go up until someone bids more than the original bidder, if that makes sense. So as it stands, officially there's been one bid, even though 13 have actually bid.

Confused? :D

There's a reserve on the item, so it looks as if the bidder is trying to either find out what it is, or wants to bid the least possible to meet it.

Well he has good feedback, but as you say the bidding is strange, if you click on the 13 bids, you can see that it is by the same bidder.

All 13 have bid 99p, basically the bidding doesn't go up until someone bids more than the original bidder, if that makes sense. So as it stands, officially there's been one bid, even though 13 have actually bid.

Confused? :D

That's not quite correct. Say the reserve is £100, the bidder has bid, say, £5, then £10 and so on up to maybe £95, but because the reserve hasn't been met and no one has bid against him his 99p opening bid still stands.

Clearer? :D

Last edited:
So as it stands, officially there's been one bid...

Actually no, and ebay need to fix this as it enables a scam. :muted:

odd pattern indeed and now currently at £350..........

4***& seems to have bid with regular (automated) increments until £180, and then someone with no feedback has come in at 11pm give or take with £350....

Nothing in between.

Whats a rough going rate for one of these?????? If reserve was £349 then the pattern kind of stacks up........... If reserve was £200 then bid 14 should have it at £200.

Odd.

Hmmm, ok, so I clearly don't know what I'm talking about.

Let me know when it's sold :D

odd pattern indeed and now currently at £350..........

4***& seems to have bid with regular (automated) increments until £180, and then someone with no feedback has come in at 11pm give or take with £350....

Nothing in between.

Whats a rough going rate for one of these?????? If reserve was £349 then the pattern kind of stacks up........... If reserve was £200 then bid 14 should have it at £200.

Odd.

The reason for the gap between the bid of £180 and that of £350 is that £350 was the reserve, so when the second bidder came in and bid that (or more) the bid immediately jumped to that without the need for any bids inbetween.

It all makes sense.

The first bidder is someone I think I have encountered before....and he is ( as far as I could tell) a sensible chap. 180 quids is what a sensible person will bid now; and 220 the max he will go.

The second bidder is a bit strange; and the price is way beyond what these go for ( last 2 went for 175 and 180, but admittedly they were not mint)

Ah well...interesting if there is schilling going on....

Last edited:
I've brought from that seller before with no problems at all, wouldn't pay the current price for the Contax though.

The same person is adding more to their initial bid. However nobody else has bid.

The more I see this one, the funny it gets.

These go for 200 on the ebay; even ffordes have one for 299.

Look at the second bidder. He has no positive feedback, no bid activity in the last 1 month, and this is his only bid.

The reserve was set at 350. And he comes in, and puts his bid at 350 or higher, almost double the last sold price. And clearing the reserve price in the process.

Very very strange.

The more I see this one, the funny it gets.

These go for 200 on the ebay; even ffordes have one for 299.

Look at the second bidder. He has no positive feedback, no bid activity in the last 1 month, and this is his only bid.

The reserve was set at 350. And he comes in, and puts his bid at 350 or higher, almost double the last sold price. And clearing the reserve price in the process.

Very very strange.

One may even think that someone had set up a "sacrificial" ebay account and put a silly high bid in, just to find the reserve price :LOL:

The lack of honesty in ebay descriptions is becoming a real problem. In the vintage fishing tackle world I'm told serious buyers and collectors have abandoned it entirely because of the junk being passed off as kosher. I can see photography going the same way. 'Untested' and 'as seen' have replaced 'completely knackered' as a way of getting round protocol.

nothing unusual . If I look at my bids - there are lots that look like this. I don't use any programs so - I see item, I think of a max bid put it , then rethink, put a higher one and so on. well, but it never looks like this and when somebody comes and puts a lot higher bid then my last max bid, it looks like I'm bidding against myself :)

nothing unusual . If I look at my bids - there are lots that look like this. I don't use any programs so - I see item, I think of a max bid put it , then rethink, put a higher one and so on. well, but it never looks like this and when somebody comes and puts a lot higher bid then my last max bid, it looks like I'm bidding against myself :)

You're missing the point - originally, there was nobody else bidding apart from one guy bidding against himself - gradually increasing bids to find where the reserve had been set! Then, someone else pitches in, with a ludicrously high bid, which reveals the reserve, and leaves the other bids looking like an autobid incrementer...

there was -

click on - "Show automatic bids"

anyway seems that ebay has changed thing or two in these last days.

You're missing the point - originally, there was nobody else bidding apart from one guy bidding against himself - gradually increasing bids to find where the reserve had been set! Then, someone else pitches in, with a ludicrously high bid, which reveals the reserve, and leaves the other bids looking like an autobid incrementer...

Indeed. I now understand the incremental bid thing of the fiorst bidder.

I am now wondering why someone bid almost double the going rate ( the second bidder); which conveniently happen to show the reserve price.

possibly the mystery bidder withdraws, and the other bidder hopes seller makes a "second chance offer"?

there was -

click on - "Show automatic bids"

anyway seems that ebay has changed thing or two in these last days.

The hidden bid was at 22:58 last night, 14 minutes after Ujjwal raised the original question. So - my answer stands.

possibly the mystery bidder withdraws, and the other bidder hopes seller makes a "second chance offer"?

looks like that's what's going to happen. poor guy getting enticed in... looking at his buying/bidding profile looks as though hes a bit of a collector

Hmm the good old "second chance offer" ruse.............

Have been offered a few of those in the past, and always turn them down, because even if genuine reasons the higher bidder has pulled out, I always think i am being ripped off.

do the seller have to pay the ebay fees if the winning bidder doesn't pay, hence the thing doesn't get sold?

43 minultes to go; and not another bid in teh last 3 days.

The first bidder is going to get a second chance offer, no doubt :D

£350 for that little thing! Whats so special about it?

It's normally a £200 camera, but I have suspicions that there's some "Shill Bidding" going on...

Something funny going on, no question about it. I had spoken to the seller the day he listed it; and he told me his reserve price then ( and i told him it cant go at that price).
He also told me he has another one in similar condition.
Giving him the benefit of doubt; I can only assume that someone made a mistake.
Unfortunately my plan of buying the 2nd one off him at the reasonable price of 200 £ goes for a toss now ( and possibly expalins why I was following it up so intently)

I'm sure the lens is a peach but f3.7 - 6.7 limits it somewhat.

Obviously; and the camera with a fast lens is T2.

And I have been hand wringing about this for some time now - zoom with a slower lens or better and faster fixed lens of 38mm.

I am possibly settling for a zoom lens ( hoping that a 400 ISO film will make up for the lens speed), but its a close call.

Obviously; and the camera with a fast lens is T2.

And I have been hand wringing about this for some time now - zoom with a slower lens or better and faster fixed lens of 38mm.

I am possibly settling for a zoom lens ( hoping that a 400 ISO film will make up for the lens speed), but its a close call.

Zoom compacts are neither fish nor fowl, but that's just a personal view. I can conceive of situations where a modest focal range would be an advantage in a pocket camera, I just never seem to come across them. My 35mm Mju gets a walk frequently, the Mju zoom virtually never.

Now a fixed 28mm compact in one pocket and a fixed 80mm in another...:)

Zoom compacts are neither fish nor fowl, but that's just a personal view.

Now a fixed 28mm compact in one pocket and a fixed 80mm in another...:)

I kind of agree with your view.

I haven't seen a fixed 80mm compact; is there one?

I fing anything wider than 50mm not very attractive - 40mm just about.

I kind of agree with your view.

I haven't seen a fixed 80mm compact; is there one?

I fing anything wider than 50mm not very attractive - 40mm just about.

I've never seen a fixed compact lens longer than 50mm, which is slightly odd when you think about it, as I'd guess most are used for shooting portraits of one kind or another.

The wide angle issue is probably just familiarity. At one time I used a 50mm lens exclusively and anything wider seemed like a cheap novelty but if you look through the same lens long enough your brain composes for it, and wide lenses have the advantage of a deeper depth of field for spontaneous shots at larger apertures. Although I have a few zoom lenses I use them as 'multiple fixed' if that makes sense, and much prefer taking two or three primes, even if it means carrying a bag. Trombone-ing a composition into shot is just not a way that works for me.

. Trombone-ing a composition into shot is just not a way that works for me.

Wonderful turn of phrase, that.

Since I almost exclusively use rangefinder, borne out of necessity due to my recurring back pain, I dont have the luxury of zoom lens.

But this one is exclusively for times of travelling abroad, and memory shots its sole purpose. So a zoom might come in handy.

If I fall in love with a compact; and dont like the zoom lens, a minilux is only 125 quids away :D

I've never seen a fixed compact lens longer than 50mm, which is slightly odd when you think about it, as I'd guess most are used for shooting portraits of one kind or another.

The wide angle issue is probably just familiarity. At one time I used a 50mm lens exclusively and anything wider seemed like a cheap novelty but if you look through the same lens long enough your brain composes for it, and wide lenses have the advantage of a deeper depth of field for spontaneous shots at larger apertures. Although I have a few zoom lenses I use them as 'multiple fixed' if that makes sense, and much prefer taking two or three primes, even if it means carrying a bag. Trombone-ing a composition into shot is just not a way that works for me.

erm what about these attachments for a Nikon L35:-
http://www.nicovandijk.net/nikon35af.jpg

Back