Strange issue - corrupt JPEG files...but if you re-import them, they are OK

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening all,

Ok so this isw going to sound a bit weird!

I've just bought a new camera and am having intermittent problems with it!

Basically if I take a load of photos, then import them to the PC - and let say they are called 001.jpg, 002.jpg, 003.jpg etc

On the initial import, 001.jpg and 005.jpg might be corrupt - and the others be OK.

I then delete the images OFF THE PC.

I then re-import them off my SD card
This time however, 001.jpg is fine, and 003.jpg is corrupt

Viewing the files on the back of the camera - all the pics are OK, its like when importing them, I am getting corruption but on different images each time?!

Also - I have tried 3 memory cards, all doing exactly the same behaviour?!

Any ideas?!

Here's what I mean - this is the same 14 photos - simply imported / deleted / re-imported / deleted / re-imported

First import - straight from camera SD card to PC

p2517143499-3.jpg

p2517143499-3.jpg

Deleted all those photos from PC... and re-imported

p2517143503-3.jpg

And again - same procedure as above

p2517143498-3.jpg

Notice how it is different pictures each time which get corrupted during import!

Last edited:
Are you importing directly from the camera, or have you tried a card reader? Are you copying the files using Windows/MacOS in the normal way (e.g. by dragging them to your hard disk), or are you using dedicated import software?

USB lead or card reader

It's not uncommon, I've just reloaded my pc and found my card reader wouldn't work. It's never needed a driver before but this time it decided it did. After an hours search on the Web I found one and now it works. Computers are fickle things.

Some times drivers and peripherals seem to fail following computer security updates.

Have you tried a different lead?

Tried a different SD reader last night (ancient USB 2.0 one!) and that work flawlessly, but slow!

Got one of these coming today which I'm hoping will resolve things

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00VAGX6MW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been through a few card readers in the past (Lexar USB 3.0 SD/CF ones) I think this latest one is my 4th?! But the others just stopped working - ie plug it into the PC and nothing happens... this one still "looks" like it is working, but corrupts all the files!

I didn't realise external SD card readers contained electronics but could be corrosion or cheap components breaking down.

Hey I faced the very same issue and after a million tricks that didn't seem to work, I had to but a JPEG Repair software.
Have Used Stellar Phoenix JPEG Repair Software for this. I hope it works for you too :)
Like my answer if it works for you too. 'm new to the forum!;)
Do you work for them?

Back