Stranger Things.

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
Partly tongue in cheek this one but some seriousness involved too, as I'm open minded. I am also (as far as I know) 100% sane.

I've not really been one to believe or disbelieve in the supernatural. I have experienced odd happenings but I can usually fathom a way of rationalising these things.

I have experienced odd sounds, things out of the corner of my eye, that kind of thing, as most of us have, especially as a child. As an example, my father told me a story one night and I 100% believed him and still do. He saw somebody at night on a remote but lit road. There were no buildings and the guy walked by, said 'alright' and my Dad turned round to reciprocate but they were gone.

I used to suffer night terrors, still do now and again and I try to call out in my sleep. I woke one night during a night terror a few years ago with what felt like a hand on my arm, as soon as I was fully concious, it went away. My wife was fast asleep, snoring away.

Today though, I have had an unsettling experience.

Most of you will know about my passion for Kingfishers, I spend hours and hours at the river where they frequent. There is also other wildlife, including damselflies and sometimes, dragonflies, so plenty for me to chase. Going back about 5 years ago, I was at a particular spot, that is on my route. I started feeling sick, which is unusual for me. I shrugged it off, and put it down to a few beers I'd had the previous evening. Long story short, I soon started feeling worse and I will save you the details here but I headed for home and felt really ill. I started vomiting and also had a very upset stomach, which I won't go into here but you get the drift. It was no 24 hour thing either, I was ill for almost a week.

When I felt better, I thought nothing of it, as far as I was concerned, it was just one of them things. I returned to my haunt with no problems, a few times. On one occasion though, I was very nearby to where I'd fallen ill previously and started feeling dizzy and also, like I couldn't focus my eyes. I was losing my balance and my legs turned to jelly. I had no sickness this time though. I had to sit down or I would've fallen over.

Again, when I'd recovered, I carried on with my day, didn't think much more about it and put it down to coincidence that it was almost in the same spot as previously. I have had this happen one other time since, in the same spot.

Until today...............

So I'm there again, not thinking about anything other worldly, although it is quite an eerie place, being an old wood and there are remnants of very old, disused open cast, on a very small scale. In the right light, it can be quite spooky but I don't think about that at all. There is a loch that is the gravel pit that was flooded when the mine closed and it is teeming with wildlife. I was near the loch today, the other side of the river to my odd experiences previously, almost opposite. I felt fine, apart from being on the tail end of a migraine, which was (is) all but gone. I started feeling dizzy again, my eyes felt disjointed and heavy and my legs went like jelly, to the point that I knew if I didn't sit down, (not easy on a dry part of river bed) I would've fallen over. I ended up sitting on my leg, bent underneath me. I stayed like that for 2 minutes or so then started feeling better. Today, I was now begining to make the connection with that spot. I would put it down to my migraine , or some other quirk of my health that I don't know about but 4 times now, in the same place.

As mentioned, it is quite a spooky place on its day and with the ancient mine workings, I'm guessing a few souls would have been lost back in the day. There was also a dead body found nearby about 8 years ago now, in the river, caught up in the overhanging tree roots, something to do with a drug fued. I never saw the body but I did smell it. I thought the smell was a dead animal but the body was reported later that day.

I was stone cold sober everytime this has happened, I don't touch drugs, I don't smoke and as far as I know, I'm fit, healthy and sane.

I can't explain it, I'm still saying 'coincidence' to myself but it is very real.

Last edited:
There is more in heaven and on earth than is written in your books.

I have no doubt whatsoever that there are existences, words are difficult here, beyond ours that we occasionally glimpse in some way.

Last edited:
Yeah, why not.

I've experienced several interesting and baffling things which have happened in my life and as I'm a geeky sort at heart I always analyse everything to the nth degree but some things aren't easily or even at all explainable.

I do believe that some phenomena is linked to places but that doesn't necessarily mean it's supernatural as it could be just some natural phenomena as yet not identified and explained which causes a reaction in our bodies or minds which we interpret as an eerie, supernatural scary thing.

Or... it's glitches in the matrix.

Last edited:
There's plenty of things we don't know and there's plenty of things we experience unexpectedly but there's no need to invoke the supernatural.

Many people experience dizzy spells without warning (I have myself) and there are a surprisingly large number of places in the UK and elsewhere that have been the site of violent or unexplained deaths. If you experience unexpected giddiness and then learn about an incident, your brain looks for a pattern, because that's what humans have evolved to do.

The world is stranger than we think but seldom if ever stranger than we can explain.

In Dale's case the cause could conceivably be environmental. Some animals sense things and move away and maybe people or at least some people can too?

Along these lines... When I was a little boy I had night terrors and they were just awful. In later life I read about nightmares, not bad dreams but the old hag experience. This phenomena seems to affect affected people in different locations but also people who've never experienced a nightmare in this sense may have one in a place thought to induce them. I find this fascinating as why should a place or some environmental factor induce such a specific experience if it's not what it appears to be, a supernatural "attack." However, the experience could be triggered by some environmental factor which our minds interpret as an old hag attack.

Last edited:
Migraines can be funny things and can be triggered in many ways. Knowing that you suffer from them, my GUESS would be that the spells are an aspect of them, possibly brought on by association on a subconscious level.

One investigation I was on, a town pub,
the staff described symptoms the same as your's day times, but "worse" at night, and in the cellar.
Long story short, it was EMF ( electromagnet field) pulses causing it, from a high voltage cable running under the cellar,
that it seems no one knew was there. Why worse at night? generally people tend to be more tired and more susceptible while working "late"
Given how you describe the location, I guess we can rule that one out.

The mine, is there a possibility that many years ago, toxic chemicals were buried underground and are "leaching" ?
This was the way they were disposed of, years ago.
A little something left over from the war perhaps?
Or indeed pockets of methane that are rising to the surface?

Lay lines, have a look on a map, some maps will show these.
Some believe that they are the earths natural magnetic fields.
Some people believe they are "good" others believe they are not so.

I'm not saying I disbelieve you in any way, but these are usually a good starting point in any investigation.
99% of investigations were proved to have a logical explanation, as to the other 1% well that's a whole new story...

Last edited:
There is more in heaven and on earth than is written in your books.

That is true.

I'm not a Christian but 2 of my besties are. I have witnessed unexplained things with this too, particularly around healing but that's a whole new debate.

Yeah, why not.

I've experienced several interesting and baffling things which have happened in my life and as I'm a geeky sort at heart I always analyse everything to the nth degree but some things aren't easily or even at all explainable.

I do believe that some phenomena is linked to places but that doesn't necessarily mean it's supernatural as it could be just some natural phenomena as yet not identified and explained which causes a reaction in our bodies or minds which we interpret as an eerie, supernatural scary thing.

Or... it's glitches in the matrix.

It made me think, knowing some of the history of the area and also, a gruesome, quite recent past can make me shudder there sometimes, although generally, I don't scare easily, it's just unsettling. I can't explain the episodes I've had there although I'm sure it's a rational one. It's certainly prime for investigating further. (y)

There's plenty of things we don't know and there's plenty of things we experience unexpectedly but there's no need to invoke the supernatural.

Many people experience dizzy spells without warning (I have myself) and there are a surprisingly large number of places in the UK and elsewhere that have been the site of violent or unexplained deaths. If you experience unexpected giddiness and then learn about an incident, your brain looks for a pattern, because that's what humans have evolved to do.

The world is stranger than we think but seldom if ever stranger than we can explain.

I wouldn't say I'm entirely invoking the supernatural, although I am now considering it as a possibilty, or more, not ruling it out as I just don't know. I am sure there is a rational explanation, it could be many things, it could still be coincidental or a subconcious connection and those are the most likely and it could also be environmental. It would be interesting to hear if anyone else has had this experience there.

In Dale's case the cause could conceivably be environmental. Some animals sense things and move away and maybe people or at least some people can too?

Along these lines... When I was a little boy I had night terrors and they were just awful. In later life I read about nightmares, not bad dreams but the old hag experience. This phenomena seems to affect affected people in different locations but also people who've never experienced a nightmare in this sense may have one in a place thought to induce them. I find this fascinating as why should a place or some environmental factor induce such a specific experience if it's not what it appears to be, a supernatural "attack." However, the experience could be triggered by some environmental factor which our minds interpret as an old hag attack.

As a child, my night terrors were awful too, I had pnuemonia aged 3 and hallucinations with the fever. I never forgot that and I would dream about the same things I saw as a child, later in life. It's strange, as I never slept in that bedroom after I'd recovered, I wasn't scared but I just couldn't, up to the day I left home as an adult. I think this was definately a subconcious thing for me.

Migraines can be funny things and can be triggered in many ways. Knowing that you suffer from them, my GUESS would be that the spells are an aspect of them, possibly brought on by association on a subconscious level.

I think the subconcious element is very important and some kind of association with being ill there might be a factor. Also, I may be subconciously remembering its grizzly past, maybe even remembering the smell of the dead body. That's a smell I'm used to, in Wales, on the hills, there would often be dead ponies or sheep. It's a smell I won't forget.

One investigation I was on, a town pub,
the staff described symptoms the same as your's day times, but "worse" at night, and in the cellar.
Long story short, it was EMF ( electromagnet field) pulses causing it, from a high voltage cable running under the cellar,
that it seems no one knew was there. Why worse at night? generally people tend to be more tired and more susceptible while working "late"
Given how you describe the location, I guess we can rule that one out.

The mine, is there a possibility that many years ago, toxic chemicals were buried underground and are "leaching" ?
This was the way they were disposed of, years ago.
A little something left over from the war perhaps?
Or indeed pockets of methane that are rising to the surface?

Lay lines, have a look on a map, some maps will show these.
Some believe that they are the earths natural magnetic fields.
Some people believe they are "good" others believe they are not so.

I'm not saying I disbelieve you in any way, but these are usually a good starting point in any investigation.
99% of investigations were proved to have a logical explanation, as to the other 1% well that's a whole new story...

The pub investigation you mention has reminded me of the thing that was happening at US Embassies recently, the Havana Syndrome thing. Maybe there is some kind of similar phenomena occuring naturally where I am experiencing this, it does sound quite similar.

I have noticed the water in a stream that feeds into the river, it's always got an oily scum on it, and I've seen it an orange colour, probably rust or something like that. Could be buried old mining machinery or chemicals and could be leaching gas too. The water quality is excellent though, the main river is teeming with aquatic life.

I will read into lay lines, it's something I've heard of but not considered.

I am inclined to think it's a perfectly rational explanation, although until I know for sure what it is, I'll keep an open mind. I will do a light touch regarding the history of the area and see if anybody else has had a similar experience.

:)

I am inclined to think it's a perfectly rational explanation, although until I know for sure what it is, I'll keep an open mind. I will do a light touch regarding the history of the area and see if anybody else has had a similar experience.

:)

Just in case this is all in your mind somewhere... Maybe you could take someone with you next time or if going alone change things up somehow by, oh I don't know... taking a radio with you and listening to some music as you're getting there or do something else to change the mood and maybe distract you from dwelling on your own thoughts?

Something like that could maybe break the spell and let you enjoy the place again.

PS.
I feel a bit guilty posting the above.

I think I should add that even if this is all in you and generated by you rather than being ghosties or chemical poisoning or magnetic fields or some other external thing acting upon you there can still be very real physical effects. For example I have a stressful life and I suffer very real physical symptoms brought about by my reaction to words and circumstances so I can imagine you suffering very real symptoms even if this originates and is caused by some subconscious feeling within you.

I hope that you can either get over this or find some reason for it, and then get over it :D

Last edited:
PS.
I feel a bit guilty posting the above.

Don't worry about it, no offence taken. (y)

Besides, what you say is valid, the sickness and dizzyness are very real but who knows where the connection actually lies, or even if there is one besides coincidence.

Ì have always had night terrors, sometimes find myself halfway down the stairs in abject fear. Also a chronic cluster headache sufferer and find it hard to believe that the two are unconnected.
My guess is that some sort of neurological disturbance is the cause. One other issue is that I cannot take hardly any drugs, most give me psychological problems. Even something innocuous like antibiotics or PPI's affect me quite badly.

Don't worry about it, no offence taken. (y)

Besides, what you say is valid, the sickness and dizzyness are very real but who knows where the connection actually lies, or even if there is one besides coincidence.

One thing that went through my mind is is there any physical exertion required getting there? Is it a long walk? Is the going difficult? Does getting there involve bending and twisting or anything physical and slightly out of the ordinary? That sort of thing. One worry could be... and sorry if this worries you... could be that any specific to that area physical exertion could be aggravating a medical condition. You'll know if that's possible or not but if it is at all possible a visit to the Dr might be in order.

To give one small example... at work once someone's car wouldn't start so I gave them a push and afterwards I felt so bad I literally thought I was going to die but as it turned out it was "just" an inner ear thing and I wasn't actually going to die :D

Ì have always had night terrors, sometimes find myself halfway down the stairs in abject fear. Also a chronic cluster headache sufferer and find it hard to believe that the two are unconnected.
My guess is that some sort of neurological disturbance is the cause. One other issue is that I cannot take hardly any drugs, most give me psychological problems. Even something innocuous like antibiotics or PPI's affect me quite badly.

I remember my night terrors but thankfully I grew out of them.

I've had some experiences really all through my life that are hard to explain and I think that this is common and not all of them happened when I was alone and of course if other people are involved that brings up many more questions.

I wont say that I have no fear as that wouldn't be true, you should see me when there's a big spider running across the floor... but paranormal type things don't seem to cause a fear response in me and instead I just have to investigate. You know those horror films when someone goes to open the door and everyone shouts "NOOOOO!!!!" It would be me opening the door :D

I hope your symptoms can fade, somehow.

Last edited:
I started feeling dizzy again, my eyes felt disjointed and heavy and my legs went like jelly, to the point that I knew if I didn't sit down, (not easy on a dry part of river bed) I would've fallen over. I ended up sitting on my leg, bent underneath me. I stayed like that for 2 minutes or so then started feeling better.

This sounds a lot like vertigo (of which I have extensive experience unfortunately) even more so with the vomiting the first time. There is such a thing as ‘migrainous vertigo‘ aka vestibular vertigo.

If you’ve only ever experienced it at one place it seems unlikely to be that unless there’s something environmental triggering it.

One thing that went through my mind is is there any physical exertion required getting there? Is it a long walk? Is the going difficult? Does getting there involve bending and twisting or anything physical and slightly out of the ordinary? That sort of thing. One worry could be... and sorry if this worries you... could be that any specific to that area physical exertion could be aggravating a medical condition. You'll know if that's possible or not but if it is at all possible a visit to the Dr might be in order.

To give one small example... at work once someone's car wouldn't start so I gave them a push and afterwards I felt so bad I literally thought I was going to die but as it turned out it was "just" an inner ear thing and I wasn't actually going to die :D

There are 2 ways to access the spot. One is not much of a walk from where I park, literally a few minutes. This is where I'd walked from the first time I experienced being unwell there. I can't remember in fairness though, if I'd gone straight there that day, I may have been chasing damselflies prior.

Yesterday though was different, if I want to be the other side of the river but directly opposite, it's a fair old trudge in and it's now getting more and more overgrown this time of year. It was quite humid, warmish and I had one too many layers on, one of which I took off after the dizzy spell. I was on the tail end of a migraine too, so maybe that's all it was, together with coincidence.

It's a maybe though, I'm not really sure either way.

Back in the late seventies, I stayed over at a girlfriend's house after we had been out for the evening. They were all upstairs and I was asleep on the sofa downstairs. Around two in the morning, I woke up suddenly and was aware of something or someone in the room with me, so I held my breath and good hear breathing. Eventually, tiredness got the better of me and I fell asleep. The next morning my girlfriend asked if I had a good night's sleep and I lied and said "yes". She then asked me again, because one of her friends had slept over and had pretty much the same experience as me and wouldn't stay there any more.
There is a lot more to life (and death) than we yet know about.

There is a lot more to life (and death) than we yet know about.
True enough...

...but the simplest explanation is always the best the start with, as Ockhams's favourite son was (allegedly) fond of saying.

I've had a strange occurrence a few years back, not with ghosts but with time, I was in Dedham standing in the field next to the river, it was like time had stopped, there was no birdsong, no wind and looking out into the distance, there was a little house on a hill, the whole of that scene looked like it had been painted, it was just flat, the episode lasted around 10 mins, but it was the longest 10 mins I had experienced at the time, really bizarre. As it passed everything just went back to normal like nothing had happened.

It's nothing supernatural, that's make believe, it'll be something environmental predisposed with the fact you remember being ill there once and thats compounded every time you're nearby and remember the episode. Ghosts etc, especially when associated with places where there may have been deaths is, well, make believe.

Spell... Broken! :D

I'm glad for you. Enjoy :D

PS.
Post a picture :D

AND you found a camera!

Lovely spot to spend a while, Dale.

AND you found a camera!

My littlle M5, brilliant camera and easier to carry in there than the housebrick that is the 5D.

Lovely spot to spend a while, Dale.

Yes, it's beautiful, that pic does it no justice. I will take better pics soon. 8 Kingfisher encounters yesterday too but not on my perch, as of yet.

Reactions: Nod
I've had maybe a moment of clarity, regarding the dizzy spells.

I have been genuinely ill twice at this spot, which is probably coincidence. I may be able now to explain the other 'episodes' though. I was in a totally different place yesterday but doing the same thing. Several times, I'd be looking at the river, it's quite fast flowing at the moment and when I looked away, at the trees, sky or whatever, I felt dizzy a few times, to the point of having to steady myself by holding onto a tree at one point.

It seems the transition between motion (flowing river) and still objects (trees etc) is playing with my brain. You could call it a type of vertigo.

So maybe that's it.

I stand by my original thoughts though, there is a lot of history at the original spot, some of it macabre. I always feel uneasy there.

Back