Street photographers and the terrorist threat

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
No
For as long as I can remember, street photographers have had a tough time from those ‘in authority’ – sometimes for good reason but, for the most part, with no good reason at all. Life has got easier for us in recent years but I have a feeling that things may take a turn for the worse. I've written a brief article summing up the situation which you can read here. It's not an exhaustive overview but I hope you'll find it helpful.

I can kind of see why you would say that, but actually going out all the time and shooting on the streets and seeing/ speaking to the police I tend to find I get less hassle. You are more likely to draw attention of security/ police if you are shooting buildings/ architecture. I think having an online presence/ business card with website etc. on it really helps.

I also think knowing your rights is important. Cooperation without infringing on your rights is fine to. These are people that at least in theory want to safeguard the majority of people. I also find it important to go out and shoot even if there is a threat if imminent attack.

It helps me to remember that people aren't telepathic. They have no clue what you're doing most of the time, and asking (whether police, security guard, or Joe Public) is also not a crime. Of course *how* they ask will ultimately determine my reaction. Polite people get polite responses. Angry people also get polite responses (they didn't always!). If I escalate by stating my rights and arguing, all it does is spoil my day and waste my time. I can't control other people and their (re)actions, but I can control mine. Ultimately, I want to enjoy my photography. Knowing my rights is one thing. Choosing to stand by them regardless of the consequences is another.

'For as long as I can remember, street photographers have had a tough time from those ‘in authority’
Yeah! It's time we stuck it to 'The Man'!
Come back to me when you've got pubic hair...

Tell you what Darren, he's an infinitely better and more experienced photographer than you'll ever be.

I didn't criticise his/your photos. Just the b*****ks about street photographers being oppressed by the Establishment. It's rubbish! Just trying to make money from young people trying to get into photography! New photographers can get much better info for free just by asking on this site?
Armed Police smlst.jpg

For as long as I can remember, street photographers have had a tough time from those ‘in authority’ – sometimes for good reason but, for the most part, with no good reason at all. Life has got easier for us in recent years but I have a feeling that things may take a turn for the worse. I've written a brief article summing up the situation which you can read here. It's not an exhaustive overview but I hope you'll find it helpful.

I find the following advice puzzling and potentially very confrontational, surely it is a matter of individual choice and following this advice may well make an unfortunate situation more difficult ... what do you fear from giving the police your details?

Should you give your details?

No you should not. Whenever you are stopped by the police, they will normally ask for your details in order to identify you. In almost all circumstances, assuming that you are simply taking photographs and that no crime has been committed, there is no requirement to hand over any personal information (such as name and address). Whilst officers may persist, my advice is to stand firm as there is absolutely no need to proffer such information; after all, you have no idea where or how that information could be used. There is a fine line between ‘co-operation’ and asserting your rights.

I find the following advice puzzling and potentially very confrontational, surely it is a matter of individual choice and following this advice may well make an unfortunate situation more difficult ... what do you fear from giving the police your details?

The problem with giving a copper your details when requested is that it invariably doesn’t stop there. Then they start asking the nosey parker questions such as – What are you doing? Where have you been? Where are you going? Then come the dumb questions like they point to your camera and ask – Why have you got that with you?

Well, constable … it’s like this.

Last edited:
The problem with giving a copper your details when requested is that it invariably doesn’t stop there. Then they start asking the nosey parker questions such as – What are you doing? Where have you been? Where are you going? Then come the dumb questions like they point to your camera and ask – Why have you got that with you?

Well, constable … it’s like this
Sorry I really don't see the problem ... if you have nothing to hide then cooperating with the police in these difficult times makes the whole process of protecting the community from harm a lot easier.

@StreetSnapper That's an interesting article you have put together there. However, when it comes to providing personal details, may I suggest that you research the provisions laid down in Section 25 of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984? You may wish to consider rewording that paragraph.

Policemen are people like you and me. Treat them with friendly respect and they'll reply in kind. If they don't, write down their collar number and raise the matter with their divisional superintendent. You might be pleasantly surprised by just how well such complaints are handled.

@StreetSnapper That's an interesting article you have put together there. However, when it comes to providing personal details, may I suggest that you research the provisions laid down in Section 25 of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984? You may wish to consider rewording that paragraph.

What? The section that was repealed in 2006?

'For as long as I can remember, street photographers have had a tough time from those ‘in authority’
Yeah! It's time we stuck it to 'The Man'!
Come back to me when you've got pubic hair...

Took me a while to figure out what you meant lol - but yes - I've only ever had positive interaction with both security guards and the Police when I've been out & about. I organised a TP meet once where about 10 of us met outside the Lowry in Manchester and a Police Officer came straight up to us as soon as he saw us, as the organiser I stepped forward to chat with him and all he wanted to do was warn us about recent thefts of camera gear in the area. He then informed us of an event happening there later we might like to take photos of - hundreds of Santas on a fun run !!! And with a cheery smile off he went :)

I took a peek at the OP's photos online and was surprised how many I found bordering offensive for taking the pee out of folk. I do like humour in Street photos just not at the expense of others

Dave

How does that article try to make money from anyone?
Because that's the way the internet works. Post something controversial, loads of people click & the blogger gets advertising revenue, etc.
Sorry DG, I was a bit exasperated. The idea that police, in Britain at least, are trying to crack down on street photographers is ludicrous. They've got much more to think about?

Clearly the whole PHNAT experience passed you by!
An old campaign (i.e. 2013 or so) that ended up being unnecessary? If you're living somewhere that's oppressing street photographers I'll back you up as far as I can. It's just not an issue for most of us

Because that's the way the internet works. Post something controversial, loads of people click & the blogger gets advertising revenue, etc.

It seems to me that you were referring to something altogether different since you said "just trying to make money from young people trying to get into photography! New photographers can get much better info for free just byasking on this site?"

An old campaign (i.e. 2013 or so) that ended up being unnecessary? If you're living somewhere that's oppressing street photographers I'll back you up as far as I can. It's just not an issue for most of us

Hmmmm. So unnecessary that it was involved in UK legislation being brought before the European Court of Human Rights and found to be unlawful? Yep, that's really unnecessary.

I didn't criticise his/your photos. Just the b*****ks about street photographers being oppressed by the Establishment. It's rubbish! Just trying to make money from young people trying to get into photography! New photographers can get much better info for free just by asking on this site?
View attachment 103169

No one said street photographers are being oppressed by the establishment. Having been a photojournalist for more years than I care to remember, I have first hand experience of how the police interact with photographers - some of those interactions good, some bad.

And what's that about "trying to money from young people"??!! I run workshops: if people want to book a place, they can do - no one is forcing them, just like no-one if forcing anyone to read my blog post. If you don't like it, just ignore it.

I took a peek at the OP's photos online and was surprised how many I found bordering offensive for taking the pee out of folk. I do like humour in Street photos just not at the expense of others

Sure, some of my images and close to the bone. But that's street photography - or at least a part of it. I guess as a wedding photographer your aim is to flatter people - mine is to record real life, however unpleasant or grotesque it may be.

Sure, some of my images and close to the bone. But that's street photography - or at least a part of it. I guess as a wedding photographer your aim is to flatter people - mine is to record real life, however unpleasant or grotesque it may be.

You're making fun of fat people, old people and unattractive ones too. I've seen a lot of great Street but none of those chose to take the pee out of others as you do

Still, there's more than one way to skin the old moggy I guess - cheers

Dave

I've seen a lot of great Street but none of those chose to take the pee out of others as you do

You clearly haven't been looking at the genre much then. All of the lead artists do this. Martin Parr, Bruce Gildern and Dougie Wallace are names that spring to mind quite easily.

You clearly haven't been looking at the genre much then. All of the lead artists do this. Martin Parr, Bruce Gildern and Dougie Wallace are names that spring to mind quite easily.

The ones I like don't - I find it disrespectful walking the street looking for ways to take the pish out of others

Each to their own eh :)

Dave

I think Dougie Wallace found his subjects in Harrodsburg to be absurd but Bruce Gilden identifies with underdogs in society. As for Martin Parr, I think he looks at the world with wry amusement.

If you don't give police your details when asked, you make all photographers and yourself look like a complete bell end.

People that do that are total hypocrites. Moaning about people obstructing them, then they obstruct an officer, who believe it or not puts his/her life on the line every day, because you don't have the balls to.

In officer, who believe it or not puts his/her life on the line every day, because you don't have the balls to.

Not really... In fact..thats quite a pathetic statement.. Your saying anyone who isn't a police officer isn't because they are cowards? not because of any life choice or anything? simply because they havent got the ?

the rest of your post i agree with... just let yourself down with the drama queen ending:)

Certainly it's worth asking for what purpose you're being asked details and reminding the police they're not legally entitled to demand them, and that you're giving them out of pure good will. Have seen plenty of videos where the Police like to give someone a bad day for not cooperating, even if the Police aren't following the law.

Like a terrorist will give them accurate details anyway :rolleyes:

Last edited:
reminding the police they're not legally entitled to demand them, and that you're giving them out of pure good will.

You can do that if you wish, personally I don't see the point, unless you feel insecure in life.

Back