Street Photography - Beginners "Guide"

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
I wrote a short 'guide' - which I prefer to call 'brain vomit' - however as an introduction it might help someone.

removed - don't want to encourage bad habits.

At the very least I hope it gives people their own ideas, maybe introduce people to zone-focussing and get them to ask their own questions about it.

Last edited:
I don't carry-out this type of photography myself, but I like a nice street photo and you post some crackers. Myself, I have learn't a lot from this forum and it's from people like yourself, which have helped and I thank you for taking the time and effort to write the article.

Last edited:
You need to include more pictures and adapt your writing style to make it interesting.

If it's a beginners guide wouldn't you want to talk about basics? I've been shooting 20+ years and DoF calculations were enough to stop me reading further.

Maybe start with composition? How to tell a story? How to look out for interesting backgrounds? Lines, shapes, repetition.

Take a look at other blogs and see what makes them interesting. DEDPXL is a good place to start.

.....Has potential though (y)

I wrote a short 'guide' - which I prefer to call 'brain vomit' - however as an introduction it might help someone.

https://cookphotography.wordpress.com/2015/03/17/street-photography-advice-and-techniques/

At the very least I hope it gives people their own ideas, maybe introduce people to zone-focussing and get them to ask their own questions about it.

Thanks for sharing. I'm no street photography expert but I strongly disagree with this statement:

Out of the three options you are most likely to draw attention to yourself by bringing the camera to your eye and shooting using the viewfinder.
Following a weekend spent with multi-award winning Observer photojournalist Antonio Olmos I became convinced that what draws attention is attempting to be sneaky - that includes shooting from the hip. Much, much better to be quick. Frame an image mentally. Have the exposure (almost) pre-set. Pre-focus if you like that kind of thing. Then camera up, click, click, camera down. A photographer becomes invisible when they look as though they belong - and that means being comfortable and confident.

So what if someone notices you? They'll either move on and disregard you, or you'll have got the shot before they do notice you. Once in a blue moon someone might question what you're doing; just explain.

PS the flickr link on the blog page doesn't work.

Thanks for sharing. I'm no street photography expert but I strongly disagree with this statement:

Out of the three options you are most likely to draw attention to yourself by bringing the camera to your eye and shooting using the viewfinder.
Following a weekend spent with multi-award winning Observer photojournalist Antonio Olmos I became convinced that what draws attention is attempting to be sneaky - that includes shooting from the hip. Much, much better to be quick. Frame an image mentally. Have the exposure (almost) pre-set. Pre-focus if you like that kind of thing. Then camera up, click, click, camera down. A photographer becomes invisible when they look as though they belong - and that means being comfortable and confident.

So what if someone notices you? They'll either move on and disregard you, or you'll have got the shot before they do notice you. Once in a blue moon someone might question what you're doing; just explain.

PS the flickr link on the blog page doesn't work.

Thanks for you view on it, I'll consider giving it a go :)

You need to include more pictures and adapt your writing style to make it interesting.

If it's a beginners guide wouldn't you want to talk about basics? I've been shooting 20+ years and DoF calculations were enough to stop me reading further.

I think the DoF guides were included because that his style of shooting, zone focusing, I think he explicitly mentions it in his OP (y)

I like the article. My own contributions might be:
  1. Look at lots of other people's photography. Flickr is a great place to make some cracking contacts, but I'd dare suggest go old school as well - books
  2. Gear is NOT important, but I'd recommend not using a DSLR with grip, telephoto, flashgun, Canikon strap, tripod and camera bag. My main weapon of choice is a small 35mm film compact camera. It's zone focus by design. It doesn't scare people.
  3. Look at other people's work including printed work.

Interesting but the hip method is really hard to frame. It's better to compose and shoot. Street photography is about seeing a picture before it happens and confidence to take it. It really suits two types of personalities, the very self assured and very personable friendly people. (you will get spotted taking street photos by the subjects at some point unless you are using a verrrrrrry long zoom)

Zone focus is pretty much a MUST with street as it will beat a camera's own AF system most of the time.
A good thing to learn is "focus by feel" rather than having to study the distance/dof scale on the lens.
I know that if the focus tab on my lens is sort of "4 o'clock" then it's at the infinity stop and if I'm looking at shooting at 3 metres then the tab will be sort of "6 o'clock".
I never really got on with LCD framing, hence the sale of my Ricoh GR in favour of a second hand leica m8.
Tried "hip shooting" as an experiment with the GR but there is no way it felt like street, just a "cop-out" lol
I knew I wanted a compact camera with an optical finder so it was basically a choice of xpro1, m8 or epson rd1.

Try it for a couple of days - and do let us know whether you change your approach permanently!

Problem is I can't see me sitting in a coffee shop racing a camera up to my eye to catch a quick glance, and likely missing it because of the time it would take.

Untitled by dancook1982, on Flickr

I often take more than one photo of the subject, so if I can get away without being noticed I am free to take my time.

DSC03214 by dancook1982, on Flickr

That said I do use all the techniques, depending on which I find to be most appropriate. I use the EVF when I feel comfortable and I see something I really do not want to fail to capture.

The other thing is that I would need to go onto one knee to use the EVF - because as I said in the article, I like the lower POV.

Last edited:
Confidence is the main thing I got out of my weekend with Antonio Olmos. After a couple of days using the VF seems perfectly natural.

I was the same after spending some time with XXXX*. Confidence is such a massive part of street photography and something we all struggle with. The only thing that makes it easier is practice and getting over your fear of rejection/confrontation. Spending time shooting with someone is confident can really "rub off" on you. If that makes sense.

* removed to avoid being accused of name dropping.

Last edited:
Approach of composing through view finder? It's not easy to do that. It boils down to how confident u are

I think it was Erik Kim who set his followers the task of going out shooting street with the purpose of getting ten people to say no when you asked to take their photo. He didn't mean be rude or anything, just use it as an exercise to overcome fear of rejection.

Never tried it personally mind :)

I will remove the "guide" I don't mean to offer advice on the wrong the way of going about street photography, obviously there are people far more qualified to offer advice than I am. I don't mean this in a bad way, it's often what keeps me from wanting to offer advice, ever :) because there's quite the probability I will be wrong.

I'm sure if anyone wants to learn about techniques in street photography there is a wealth of resource on the internet.

I will remove the "guide" I don't mean to offer advice on the wrong the way of going about street photography, obviously there are people far more qualified to offer advice than I am. I don't mean this in a bad way, it's often what keeps me from wanting to offer advice, ever :) because there's quite the probability I will be wrong.

I'm sure if anyone wants to learn about techniques in street photography there is a wealth of resource on the internet.
I think your guide was a legitimate way of photographing street, many use zone focusing. Shame you felt the need to remove it.

I wouldn't remove it at all.

I'd just chip away at it to include more and grow it over time :)

I was the same after spending some time with XXXX*.
* removed to avoid being accused of name dropping.

lol! I ummed and ahhed about leaving Mr Olmos's name in but I enjoyed his course so much that I thought he deserved wider recognition; it seems that he's not that well known as a street photographer or tutor. Not trying to show off, honest!

I think its a shame you've removed this Dan. There are some things I disagree with in there, and some I don't. WEither way its a nice conversation. I don't see it as encouraging bad habits.

Hi Dan,
Keep your book up, just call it your personal journey to street photography. I don't think there is a right or wrong technique, just what works for you and other people may find your way works for them.

I feel bad encouraging people new to street photography to do things like hipshooting, because I feel responsible when other people suggest it's a cop out or that it's not in the essence of real street photography.

If I keep to myself no one can judge me a :)

I deleted the article now, so doesn't matter about that

I feel bad encouraging people new to street photography to do things like hipshooting, because I feel responsible when other people suggest it's a cop out or that it's not in the essence of real street photography.

.. and I feel bad now for seeming to judge you. My apologies; I do think the conversation is worth having. You can clearly produce great results shooting this way which means it's worth exploring further. It's just one option in an arsenal of techniques, though.

Last edited:
Who cares how we shoot a shot? There's no right and wrong as certain techniques won't apply to everyone. Just try them all and go with what works. I've done everything from shooting from the hip to lifting the camera to my eye and they all work but in different ways. I think you just should post you book up Dan and leave it up. People will take what they need from it and leave the rest. Surely that's the best possible outcome? That way people will develop their own styles and methods and move the genre on.
Personally, I rarely use a long lens for street and prefer to get closer up. But that won't suit everyone. The stuff in the street album in my flickr is nothing like the long lens candid street stuff. So my advice and comments wouldn't work for most folk wanting that look. And although it's not how I shoot, doesn't stop me from admiring some long lens work, which although much less raw, can look lovely.

Last edited:

Dan, who cares what people think is real street or not? Who gives them the right to define it anymore than you? You're taking shots of people on the street with a camera. There are numerous groups run by so called street experts who are ultra elitist and snobby when it comes to the genre. And yet some of the chaotic crap they churn out is dire. Full of fashionable tricks of light and little or no substance. Stick to your guns and do what you feel is best.

Here's a 'street' photo which I took on a train ! The guy engrossed in his book was crying out to be snapped - so I just sat my camera in my lap and aimed it in his direction and hoped for the best. I was quite pleased with the result

View attachment 37179

I wouldn't have removed it Dan, I would have liked a read myself. I've been meaning to give zone focusing a try. As far as using the VF/Live view go, I use a combination of both depending on how I feel and how I want to compose the shot, so I would't be embarrassed about that. The best way for you might not be best for someone else, but that's just a personal thing. Present your tips and people can just take what they want from it and develop their own style.

I wouldn't have removed it Dan, I would have liked a read myself. I've been meaning to give zone focusing a try. As far as using the VF/Live view go, I use a combination of both depending on how I feel and how I want to compose the shot, so I would't be embarrassed about that. The best way for you might not be best for someone else, but that's just a personal thing. Present your tips and people can just take what they want from it and develop their own style.
Seconded... I'd like to have read someone else's POV on it. I decided I'm rubbish at street photography after a couple of weak and half-arsed attempts. I worry too much about getting caught! I truly admire the people that can shove a camera with a short lens in someone's face in such a way that they don't get punched... I get the impression its even harder now than it used to be too. I think the general public are more concerned about their image being used inappropriately than they probably were in the pre-internet days.

Present your tips and people can just take what they want from it and develop their own style.

But everyone's a critic :) I'm sure there's enough resources already on the net without me having to stick my neck out.

Back