Beginner Street photography confidence

Name
Josh
Edit My Images
Yes
Has anyone got any tips for how be more confident when talking pictures in public places, whether the people are part of the shot or not?

I tend to feel awkward even when I'm just there with my camera doing nothing! I know my wife feels awkward because she hurries me along if we're in town and I slow down because I want to get a photo of something!

Thanks
Josh

There was a similar thread a while back and wearing a hi-vis jacket seemed to be a popular suggestion. However, in my experience it is just a case of getting out there and forcing yourself to do it until you gain the confidence.

...it is just a case of getting out there and forcing yourself to do it until you gain the confidence.
If you need to force yourself, perhaps you should choose a different subject?

Really worth watching the video above.
It helped me clear my thoughts a while ago.
When i first started (age of 19) talking street photos(of strangers), i didn’t really lack confidence taking pictures in public. It was actually the opposite, i could get really close to peoples faces without worrying at all about what they’re going to say. Not sure where all that confidence came from.
Fast forward i started taking pictures again after many years ( I’m 35 now) but i quickly realised i was anxious about other people. It stopped me from going out taking pictures for a while. Then i realised I’m thinking too much, I was too much in my head.
I had to ask my self a simple question.
“Do you want to do this or not?”
My answer was simply yes, i love photography as a hobby. I’m not going to be a great photographer but i know it makes me happy, the whole process. Not just viewing pictures in the end.
Try to think more about photography and not so much about the other people. Think of it as meditation. Your brain should be focused on the task of taking pictures.
If you’re not focusing on photography you’re getting distracted, getting distracted means your pictures are going to look bad.
Also don’t take this the wrong way, but nobody cares about what you’re doing with your camera. It’s the truth. Yes people are going to look at you because people are curious by nature but nobody is going to tell you something just because you’re taking pictures.
If you talk to people and you’re not making it look awkward it’s not as bad as you think.
Good luck, i hope you get out there shooting pictures eventually.

Marino

I still feel awkward taking street photos even after years of doing it. I wouldn’t use my setup in my own nearby shopping area! However whenever I go into London or any busy/ touristy area I feel more at ease. Here are my tips which may help. Use a small camera like a digital point and shoot, that way you don’t attract too much attention and make yourself self conscious. Leave the wife at home as her nervous behaviour is going to infect you. Start taking photos of static buildings, keeping images of people to a minimum, until you get used to having your camera out. Join a group of street photographers and practise with them Remember that you need to get out there to get good street photos.

Last edited:
There are different approaches to street photography.

I really loath those who push their cameras into the faces of strangers. It would be fun to see the strangers taking direct action in retaliation!

My favoured approach is to stand well back and use a long lens, to catch the natural behaviour of my subjects...

Two women on bench High Street Exeter G9 P1012192.JPG

I really loath those who push their cameras into the faces of strangers. It would be fun to see the strangers taking direct action in retaliation!

My favoured approach is to stand well back and use a long lens, to catch the natural behaviour of my subjects...

View attachment 398341

The problem with the long lens approach is that it eliminates any intimacy and sense of 'being there'. Look at street photographers through history, from the pioneers of the early 20th century to the outstanding street shooters of today (professionals and amateurs alike), you'll find the vast majority of the successful ones shoot between 28 and 50mm, with 35mm being the sweet spot.

Added to that, if you're 'busted' shooting across the road with a long lens, it can look furtive and creepy. You'll get a much better reception from people if you're upfront, honest and open about what you're doing.

Like it or not, street photography is all about getting close. I know it's not easy at first but with lots of practice it becomes much easier and, eventually, 'normal'.

The problem with the long lens approach is that it eliminates any intimacy and sense of 'being there'.
Like it or not, street photography is all about getting close. I know it's not easy at first but with lots of practice it becomes much easier and, eventually, 'normal'.
That is your opinion and I disagree with it profoundly.

In my opinion, there is something very unpleasant about someone who behaves that way.

Has anyone got any tips for how be more confident when talking pictures in public places, whether the people are part of the shot or not?

I tend to feel awkward even when I'm just there with my camera doing nothing! I know my wife feels awkward because she hurries me along if we're in town and I slow down because I want to get a photo of something!

Thanks
Josh

Hi Josh - maybe sign-up for my street photography newsletter - we often discuss this issue.

It also comes up for discussion on the Street Photography Club group on facebook - it's always good to hear how others approach similar difficulties.

Good luck!

No problem Andrew - maybe street photography is just not for you!
On the contrary, I've taken many photographs in the street.

I simply avoid alarming or harassing other people.

Thanks for sharing my video, @gramps :)

The video is very good.

I think as photographers, we tend to think as soon as we get a "proper" camera out everyone is going to take notice of us, when in actual fact few people do.

We have all been pedestrians when someone is taking pictures and think nothing of it, so it shouldn't change when we are the photographer. It still takes confidence tho' :)

Last edited:
On the contrary, I've taken many photographs in the street.

Ah but - killer question coming - are they any good? I've no idea about your work, Andrew, and I am sure it is excellent, but I must say that most of the people I've encountered who shoot with a long lens end up with random pictures of random people doing nothing very interesting.
I simply avoid alarming or harassing other people.

Me too. I've been a professional street photographer for the last 15+ years (and a photojournalist before that) and I don't think that I have once, in my entire working life, 'alarmed' or 'harassed' one single person (other than perhaps the occasional errant politician).

The video is very good.
Thanks John!
I think as we tend to think as soon as we get a "proper" camera out everyone is going to take notice of us, when in actual fact few people do.
Exactly. People are so self-absorbed that the rest of us are invisible (except the guys with long lenses who stand out like sore thumbs).
We have all been pedestrians when someone is taking pictures and think nothing of it, so it shouldn't change when we are the photographer. It still takes confidence tho' :)
We just need to get it into our heads that we're not doing anything wrong (which, of course, we're not). The confidence usually comes with practice.

"most of the people I've encountered who shoot with a long lens end up with random pictures of random people doing nothing very interesting."
...and I've seen many such pictures that capture interesting moments in the lives of others.

There's little point in arguing about this - we each think the other wrong and there can be no meeting of our minds.

View attachment 398341
Your commentmade me think of that photographer who used to stick his camera right in peoples faces with off camera flash held to the sidein I think New York (cant remember his name) how he never got thumped I dont know. Like the pic.

Bruce Gilden?

There’s even “worse”, like Marc Cohen.
Regardless of how annoying they were their pictures were on a different level. Although some people either love it or hate it

I suppose you have hit the innocuous tourist taking snaps level when your subject apologises for spoiling your photo after walking in to shot.
I know someone that takes some great street shots, he often sees a likely subject, asks them if he can take some shots whilst presenting them with his instagram 'business card', usually they agree, I don't have the confidence to be that direct and I greatly admire the approach.

...he often sees a likely subject, asks them if he can take some shots whilst presenting them with his instagram 'business card'
That seems to me a reasonable approach.

Josh; one very useful tip I was once given, and which is widely repeated, is to avoid eye contact with your 'subjects'. Learn to not look at them directly, especially immediately after taking your shots, just walk past them looking elsewhere and then they will think they were mistaken about you taking their photo.

I must say that most of the people I've encountered who shoot with a long lens end up with random pictures of random people doing nothing very interesting.

Isn't that a definition of most of the material out there regardless of lens and style?

Most of the shots I see that I like are probably taken with FF equivalent 35 and 50.

But most of the shots that I take that I like are taken with equivalent FF 24 or wider. Oddly I just don't get on with that 35 to 50 range on the street. I've become much more comfortable 'mingling' with the wider angle shots where I get lost in the proximity clutter around people. With a 35 or 50 I feel that I'm actually more obvious because to capture the moment I stand apart and am distinct and if I get noticed then I am part of the moment instead of just an observer. I occasionally go out with a 90 and enjoy it though find it frustrating - but - regardless of results - the experience is also completely different.

I would add that I now will ask people for shots - or thank them - which I wouldn't have done a few years ago. Being confident makes things easier in this regard. People respond reasonably to confidence. But the problem is in that mode what you capture is different because of the engagement with the subject.

Last edited:
I've suffered with this to a certain extent so can relate to where you're coming from, but two things that I've found, which may help...

1. If I'm taking photos of buildings etc. then I find I don't notice the people that much because I'm thinking about composition or camera settings, so just focus (no pun intended) on the technical aspect and you might find you don't notice the people so much because you're wrapped up in the thinking.

2. A well known technique if trying to get a photo with a person in is to be patient and try to see the shot before the person gets close, then I can frame the shot and wait for them to walk into the frame. In that situation, they may feel more like they owe me an apology rather than the other way around. I know in reality nobody owes anyone an apology in that scenario but that can kind of be how it feels to an introvert.

These tips might not get you great up close and personal street photography images but could be a stepping stone to get over a small hurdle or two.

Also, you mention your wife feeling awkward (as does my partner if I take street photos when she is with me). Her feeling awkward could in turn make you feel more awkward and rushed (as it does me), so perhaps try an outing by yourself. I like early mornings as there tends to be fewer people around, which could be seen as a negative too though.

You may also find it useful to watch some youtube videos by Sean Tucker as he is quite introverted but has good advice on trying to deal with it.

Back