Street photography problem

Edit My Images
No
Hi!

I have a small problem. I always wanted be a photographer. What it means for me "to take decent pictures with story, not just push the button and that's it".
I never have idea for myself what kind of photography would be good for me. And recently I have just discovered YT channel with perfect stuff for me. It was street photography in style which I loved.It is full of fun, patterns, contrasts, perfect spotted moments etc.And is really inspiring for me, but when Im out with my camera I have nothing to shot or probably I dont see good things to shot, those contrasts, patterns etc. And then is realy demotivating me...
Maybe I need to go to busy place like London? But Im not sure if it changes that I will suddenly notice above things.
And my second problem is Im not feeling confident close to people. I have 2 main lens 17mm (35 FF) and 42.5mm (85mm) And 17 is too wide for me, because I need to come a bit too close, 42.5mm is of course to tight. Do you thin 20mm or 25 will change something for me?
I will be really grateful for any advice! Somehow I know this is something for me, but I need to find my way / style. That is why Im asking more experienced photographers.

I use a zoom 70-200 f2.8. I go to a busy place like a bus station, interchange or city centre square where there are lots of passing people. I just sit on a seat and snap as they go past.

35mm full frame is perfect for street photography and a classic focal length. A 70-200 is just going to remove you too far from the action.

Sounds more like a confidence issue. Have you tried becoming part of a scene by sitting or standing in an area where there is some interest and seeing what comes by? Sometimes it’s easier for your subject to come to you rather than constantly looking.

I live in Leicester and nearly always go back home with a grand total of zero shots. I find my own city and its people uninspiring.

I don’t know where you live but maybe you should try somewhere like London or Manchester to start with for example. This will help a bit if there is a confidence issue.

I’d probably try this before shelling out on a lens.

A busy place like London certainly opens up a lot more possibilities. And you should use whatever lens(es) you feel comfortable with. I've used my phone for shots from right next to someone, an 18-50 (or currently 16-50) kit lens, a telezoom (currently 55-210, previously 50-200), and my current favourite the Sony 50mm f/1.8 (previously Nikon and Canon 'nifty fifties').

To get into the habit of spotting good subjects, as you walk around noticing what's around you, think about what would make the scene a good shot. For example, outside Burger King, how about a hen party with a bride wearing a crown. With a fashion shop with a female redheaded mannequin in the window, someone looking similar (or with blue hair) leaning on the window. Or, as I found recently, a guy standing outside Five Guys, making Six Guys in total, which started off a small ongoing collection.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/garryknight/28393919409/in/photolist-24bYEnw-26HwAms-Kg5g1D

As other examples, here are some interesting situations that I've found.

A woman making notes outside a cafe called Notes:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/garryknight/41380202214/

A couple carrying a plant past a shop with a very similar plant:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/garryknight/42166491471/

Three guys at different places in the street, coming face to face to face:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/garryknight/28119639958/

A group of friends walking past graffiti'ed words "Forever Team":
https://www.flickr.com/photos/garryknight/41846422861/

One man and his dog walking past a slogan about "two muppets and a dead dog":
https://www.flickr.com/photos/garryknight/41785118361/

A queue of people going one by one into a shop called One by One:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/garryknight/39847468530/

These are just a few recent shots, and I'd better stop there as I've got quite a few more. If you check them out, you'll see that a couple of them are backdrops that I've spotted and then waited for the right subject to come along (Forever Team, Two Muppets), others are situations where I've noticed something interesting, odd, or coincidental about the subject/background combination (Notes, Plants, One by One), and one is simply because I noticed two guys passing in the street and didn't notice until I got home that there was a third (Face to Face to Face). But looking out for this kind of situation and getting to where you either recognise a good background waiting for the right subject, or notice the kind of odd situation that you've previously predicted, is really what you need to get some good street shots. I should also add that they're only a little bit less rare than hen's teeth, and you'll throw a lot of them away.

And you'll also curse yourself for missing a lot of possibles. For example, standing at the top of Carnaby Street in central London, I noticed a big white pantechnicon. Shortly afterwards, a guy walked from that direction past me carrying a road cone over his shoulder. After that, I saw that the pantechnicon had the name of a famous orchestra on the side. If I'd managed to get a good shot of cone guy with the orchestra lorry in the background, it would have been (for me, at least) a good comedy shot, as the road cone resembled a wind instrument. In fact, there's one guy that sits around various places in central London making noises through a road cone as if it's a trumpet.

There will also be some shots you decide not to take. For example, there's a sign inside the Whole Foods shop in Glasshouse Street that says, "Hand-Tossed Pizza". Outside there was a guy leaning on the window, obscuring the word "Pizza". I just chuckled and walked away.

Anyway, if you want to heed shapeshifter's advice, you might like to go dressed like this guy:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/garryknight/27994585378/

A busy place like London certainly opens up a lot more possibilities. And you should use whatever lens(es) you feel comfortable with. I've used my phone for shots from right next to someone, an 18-50 (or currently 16-50) kit lens, a telezoom (currently 55-210, previously 50-200), and my current favourite the Sony 50mm f/1.8 (previously Nikon and Canon 'nifty fifties').

To get into the habit of spotting good subjects, as you walk around noticing what's around you, think about what would make the scene a good shot. For example, outside Burger King, how about a hen party with a bride wearing a crown. With a fashion shop with a female redheaded mannequin in the window, someone looking similar (or with blue hair) leaning on the window. Or, as I found recently, a guy standing outside Five Guys, making Six Guys in total, which started off a small ongoing collection.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/garryknight/28393919409/in/photolist-24bYEnw-26HwAms-Kg5g1D

As other examples, here are some interesting situations that I've found.

A woman making notes outside a cafe called Notes:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/garryknight/41380202214/

A couple carrying a plant past a shop with a very similar plant:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/garryknight/42166491471/

Three guys at different places in the street, coming face to face to face:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/garryknight/28119639958/

A group of friends walking past graffiti'ed words "Forever Team":
https://www.flickr.com/photos/garryknight/41846422861/

One man and his dog walking past a slogan about "two muppets and a dead dog":
https://www.flickr.com/photos/garryknight/41785118361/

A queue of people going one by one into a shop called One by One:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/garryknight/39847468530/

These are just a few recent shots, and I'd better stop there as I've got quite a few more. If you check them out, you'll see that a couple of them are backdrops that I've spotted and then waited for the right subject to come along (Forever Team, Two Muppets), others are situations where I've noticed something interesting, odd, or coincidental about the subject/background combination (Notes, Plants, One by One), and one is simply because I noticed two guys passing in the street and didn't notice until I got home that there was a third (Face to Face to Face). But looking out for this kind of situation and getting to where you either recognise a good background waiting for the right subject, or notice the kind of odd situation that you've previously predicted, is really what you need to get some good street shots. I should also add that they're only a little bit less rare than hen's teeth, and you'll throw a lot of them away.

And you'll also curse yourself for missing a lot of possibles. For example, standing at the top of Carnaby Street in central London, I noticed a big white pantechnicon. Shortly afterwards, a guy walked from that direction past me carrying a road cone over his shoulder. After that, I saw that the pantechnicon had the name of a famous orchestra on the side. If I'd managed to get a good shot of cone guy with the orchestra lorry in the background, it would have been (for me, at least) a good comedy shot, as the road cone resembled a wind instrument. In fact, there's one guy that sits around various places in central London making noises through a road cone as if it's a trumpet.

There will also be some shots you decide not to take. For example, there's a sign inside the Whole Foods shop in Glasshouse Street that says, "Hand-Tossed Pizza". Outside there was a guy leaning on the window, obscuring the word "Pizza". I just chuckled and walked away.

Anyway, if you want to heed shapeshifter's advice, you might like to go dressed like this guy:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/garryknight/27994585378/

Some great street photography there Gary. Your shots tell a story rather than candid portraits of people like shapeshifters. There’s nothing wrong with shapeshifters portraits but it’s no more street photography than it is landscape photography. Your shots dont have blown out backgrounds, indeed the background adds to the story, more so is essential to the story.

There’s lots of techniques to covert street photography close up even with a ff dslr where your subject won’t even realise you’ve taken their shot, add in a small mirrorless and you can be practically invisible.

Thanks, Mark. On the other hand, if you were to check out my Flickr, you'd find a lot from me that aren't like that. Apart from my ongoing 999 Strangers set (head shots of people I find interesting), there are a lot of shots just of people on the streets doing everything and nothing.

To be honest there's a lot of rubbish posted in this thread.

Alternative advice :-

1. Street photography is frustrating, despite the location. Some days you won't find anything interesting to shoot. Some days you'll shoot one photo that will be the best thing ever
2. Equipment doesn't matter. Really, it doesn't.
3. Understand why you like shooting street, and be comfortable with it. 99% of nerves with shooting street is because you feel like you're doing something wrong.
4. Practice, practice, practice.

35mm full frame is perfect for street photography and a classic focal length. A 70-200 is just going to remove you too far from the action.

This isn't true. 35mm gives a certain effect, 70-200 gives a different effect, you use the lens you want to get the effect you're after. If you want to isolate someone and generate a feeling of being alone in a crowd, a 70-200 is perfect. You won't get that with a 35mm. If you want 'the viewer to feel like they're right there', then you need short focal lengths. But one is not inherently better than the other, one is not inherently more street than the other. All focal lengths are valid. Street is content, not style.

If you use a 35mm lens please make sure you have private health care as you cannot get teeth implants on the national health. Good luck.:LOL:

That's just not true either. The vast majority of people will ignore photographers, even up close. 35mm doesn't mean you're constantly pushing the camera into someone's face, even though there's plenty of famous photographers who do and don't get attacked.

Yes, 35mm means you're closer to the subjects, and you need to feel comfortable doing that, but there's no reason for people to feel frightened. If you try and photograph a drug deal with a 35mm, be careful, if you photograph a normal group of people in public, it's unlikely to cause any concern at all.

To be honest there's a lot of rubbish posted in this thread.

Alternative advice :-

1. Street photography is frustrating, despite the location. Some days you won't find anything interesting to shoot. Some days you'll shoot one photo that will be the best thing ever
2. Equipment doesn't matter. Really, it doesn't.
3. Understand why you like shooting street, and be comfortable with it. 99% of nerves with shooting street is because you feel like you're doing something wrong.
4. Practice, practice, practice.

^ This. So much.

For the OP -

Shoot photographs that mean something to you. Ignore everyone else. Don't shoot street because you feel you want to, shoot street because you know you need to.

There's a particular genre of street which juxtaposes interesting backgrounds with people. It's really hard to find those in a place without big art work, posters, shop fronts, etc. So you'll struggle if that's the kind of thing you want. Equally, it's hard to get 'one person in a crowd' in a town or city which doesn't have any open spaces where people mill around. You can score a lot of 'people carrying weird objects obscuring their heads' if you live near a place where people, buy and carry weird objects. Some of what you can achieve depends on where you are, much like landscapes. So you need to find the subjects, genres, you can shoot in places you can get to.

Remember, that much of the 'best' street photography is one shot from a series of 12, 24 or more, and only very rarely a single shot from a single moment. Also, many of the best street photographers public their best 20 pictures from a 2 or 3 year stint. Took me a long time to realise that I wasn't going to get 10 shots every time I went out that I felt were worthwhile, although I might get 10 shots I think are worth the effort, it's different.

p_Z_EeKVmCvsFAJWXR9gKjq3o7fcChgx0JuYcRPe3wVa_Xec5Kf6uSqb9VcP6rQEIP6rdj5HqiKDb19OEjeltRsMT53qzXk4CNJ0wx2zX5agQzBqV0gVZSCNcgYyHxdzF-5hi7fAb-0U2ANtZYl5COwQPyW4YtkgTFS765KfYLVlJmFpol8nxTamoLhQ4mDjLiLD4DvjXCVZ9tsx1oct2vwVshvHiKa8SHbHQtfKcTYsPYolnZpiPSluyI87o52IPVQev846RGQIt9MyymOwm3lR1cR97hPX3vIK3U5vdsBRixqcDuzjw08RIH-m07NwItJk12wCBwbn9TVdgEs-QaJX7Tr7L2gEyWcruXNq8Dm1QGVSoM5lOyCdQ64FttYFzGAtO6TNjPPvtVEL9j7F5K3Tm4rWjFWus3wbm0Djsm8OmQ7zBFXNgYqrZngbUKqNsKiAhBO8Vh9XGqVDP6-8tZMS9dTmGLL_QimN7Zj4VhJ3crwT8I-COKvs9OdQyQZhaRK3ijrLXsAkgbQV1srj4SGGuuv77Tf34sqjP5DFtu0vuRSHwPowSDhbwS4Gcf3_1hlxYIUB3IIcTF2Tx9ZhAf7x5GDGULFyuvsi_tg=w1089-h885-no

yhaYgnqjlNmM2xdho-K-LnZdBWGkcmBi9tsC3QmWEonqKCttcrquaLUQOVanR6DxQU-pm-36PN3gSjxUwbZfjAOrIW5BnIoybqIC5qG-YxbbQDKm1hCHexrTPCeFVQi-FjEJ_Ig1kNoqw2E2PWCnxCzW5D3AvCWSH_S6xAtQJcP3HMVcT9gIeJ5ze6Mp5CZzUnz0dDOKXQ6CkUR5b1iGfBh-EIYdMeK1tbAiwt_Spfgh5Fmhv4ZltOq6skBVKpcqMGdmNoBiHR1Vof5rO83-V33VCNS_YxJ-JwmiZ4ooVU-Zivcf_jyzJrbLncO9HdgAw5mbI1w6F_e4LUi8VhVrNavZEk7QaOQI-ckO1PQTDr5pJZUCdhk4gmL8pjGmTOxreC1YveqdqmHsdmNubF8qqIE6rZcBBGCuwTKQhfahFAZxPLXILsbOGUpSTGFSNvnlSiytt-6pM6pwG7vvTeWzg-zcDogJiysbM8OhD7n_YncNg-EBDnYdLu9jTFNWVx0d0FEcztc5hm_IcWYtmacKtj8ybmPFxcbIwgjNoTSck_mKsgqUkBvb8OTCse_bJzjPYHjp9ME51pqfpMQzD_Nr3Y70sAws-VM9OpXNUKW6cMtRPwSFRfanjSYjcOxBKBasScNnOkvra4w748Y-ZcI6ArN2hrUzxtJz=w1619-h885-no

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> A couple of examples of getting right in there where the action is. I use a little G7X with tilt up screen shooting from the hip.

Just get closer and shoot and isolate that person then?
This isn't true. 35mm gives a certain effect, 70-200 gives a different effect, you use the lens you want to get the effect you're after. If you want to isolate someone and generate a feeling of being alone in a crowd, a 70-200 is perfect. You won't get that with a 35mm. If you want 'the viewer to feel like they're right there', then you need short focal lengths. But one is not inherently better than the other, one is not inherently more street than the other. All focal lengths are valid. Street is content, not style.

For those shooting full frame or 35mm film, I like the 40mm pancake lens for use in crowded environments such as town and city street scenes. It allows more of the scene to be captured than a 50mm lens, which can often be too 'tight' in its framing, but the images aren't as remote-looking as a 35mm, which can often capture too much background clutter so the main subject becomes lost in the background rather than being put in context. Also, the photographer doesn't have to be 'in someone's face' to get a shot. A 40mm pancake lens is very low profile, couple that with a small DSLR body and it lessens the chance of drawing attention to the photographer. Anyway, thought I'd mention it as this focal length doesn't seem to have been suggested yet for full-frame/35mm film use.

I quite like a 35mm equivalent for street. However I don't think there's ever going to be a 'right' focal length - sometimes I've been too close and wished I had a 28mm on, other times I can see something happen in the distance and wish I had a tele on. You can use your feet of course to close or get a bit of distance, but quite often you'll have lost the moment by doing that.

I think people can be too snobby about zooms. I suspect it's a historical thing (Cartier-Bresson didn't need a zoom !!!), but modern tech has come a long way with compact zooms. I quite like the tiny Panasonic 12-32mm (24-64mm equiv) for m4/3 - set it at 17/18mm for my usual focal length but with the option to go wider or closer should I need too.

Two techniques of not appearing to take a photograph I've used is to stroll about carrying my camera attached to a monopod with a remote shutter release, and angles so that it's pointed forwards when I'm carrying the monopod in my hand. My other hand is in my pocket with the radio trigger. Wide lens. aim and shoot blind. Here's one I shot like that, camera about knee height and upside down.

The Three Faces of Eve: 2 by Chris Malcolm, on Flickr

Another technique is to set up my camera on a tripod in a busy location, and then stroll impatiently around it as though waiting for my model to turn up. In fact it's pointed at an interesting backround while I wait for some interesting people to populate the scene. Remote shutter trigger again. Here's one I shot like that, sneaking a glimpse of the upturned live view to catch the moment.

My pretty red dress by Chris Malcolm, on Flickr

If there are people, you can do street photography. Doesn't have to be in London/New York/Paris, although the sheer density of people in those cities helps, even then you'll get many poor shots.

Be open, be confident, don't be afraid to talk to people. Sneaking in shots will generally result in poor photographs. Remember that a photograph only captures a millisecond of a moment, so that person who appears to be mean-mugging the camera could well be joking with the photographer afterward or having a little chat with them before going about their day.

My favourite shots tend to be in the 28mm - 35mm range, but I've seen some interesting work done with longer lenses. Nick Turpin's Night Bus series for example.

Hi!

I have a small problem. I always wanted be a photographer. What it means for me "to take decent pictures with story, not just push the button and that's it".
I never have idea for myself what kind of photography would be good for me. And recently I have just discovered YT channel with perfect stuff for me. It was street photography in style which I loved.It is full of fun, patterns, contrasts, perfect spotted moments etc.And is really inspiring for me, but when Im out with my camera I have nothing to shot or probably I dont see good things to shot, those contrasts, patterns etc. And then is realy demotivating me...
Maybe I need to go to busy place like London? But Im not sure if it changes that I will suddenly notice above things.
And my second problem is Im not feeling confident close to people. I have 2 main lens 17mm (35 FF) and 42.5mm (85mm) And 17 is too wide for me, because I need to come a bit too close, 42.5mm is of course to tight. Do you thin 20mm or 25 will change something for me?
I will be really grateful for any advice! Somehow I know this is something for me, but I need to find my way / style. That is why Im asking more experienced photographers.
How about finding a person / organisation who run work shops on street photoing. you can interactively bounce questions and get affirmation of idea. When you get to the pint that you disagree with the instructor then you will have found your style and understand enough to challenge their philosophy. Then you can run the workshops.

Something that might help you with your confidence is meeting up with other photographers.
Have a look at the meeting and find a tog buddy sections on here.
I've not done a meet for years but they are great fun and you get to meet some really nice people.

Someone mentioned that equipment doesn't matter, and they are 100% right however IMO a more compact camera does help as walking around with a big DSLR and a zoom lens does make you stick out. I'm a lot more comfortable walking around with my x100s.

Someone mentioned that equipment doesn't matter, and they are 100% right however IMO a more compact camera does help as walking around with a big DSLR and a zoom lens does make you stick out. I'm a lot more comfortable walking around with my x100s.

It doesn't make you stick out. It only feels like it does to you. And once it feels like that, you'll start behaving in a way which does make you stick out. Photographers notice other photographers, but the general public often doesn't notice a bloody thing.

Two techniques of not appearing to take a photograph I've used is to stroll about carrying my camera attached to a monopod with a remote shutter release, and angles so that it's pointed forwards when I'm carrying the monopod in my hand. My other hand is in my pocket with the radio trigger. Wide lens. aim and shoot blind. Here's one I shot like that, camera about knee height and upside down.

The Three Faces of Eve: 2 by Chris Malcolm, on Flickr

Another technique is to set up my camera on a tripod in a busy location, and then stroll impatiently around it as though waiting for my model to turn up. In fact it's pointed at an interesting backround while I wait for some interesting people to populate the scene. Remote shutter trigger again. Here's one I shot like that, sneaking a glimpse of the upturned live view to catch the moment.

My pretty red dress by Chris Malcolm, on Flickr
There is the school of thought though that this covert method comes with suspicion. If you openly take photos and then are asked what you are doing you can be open and explain. After all if you were doing it malevolently it would be usual to be so conspicuous. If people object then you can either do the ok i'll delete, or play the i am within my right and try to diffuse the situation. If however you are spotted doing it covertly that immediately raises questions as to what you are doing and why and the situation becomes harder to diffuse.

I think you need to have the right type of personality to be good at (and enjoy) street photography. I think some of the best images out there are taken on the streets but if you're not comfortable taking photos of strangers relatively closely when they know you're doing it then it's unlikely you're going to get great shots. Some people just have the knack of being able to do that and not get a negative reaction......not me unfortunately. If I were to try that it would end in trouble and/or more stress than I would like. The only time I feel this doesn't apply would be at some sort of public gathering (carnival etc.)

I agree with this quote totally. You can see in many street photos the suspicious look on people's faces. If they see someone taking photos with a dslr they think you're a weirdo but think nothing when hundreds of people around them are taking photos with their smart phones.

I stumbled across the following image on Flickr some time ago (not my image) and really liked the photo but also the comments summed up the common issue that prevents a lot of people being able to enjoy street photography ....

Untitled by Stephen Griffin, on Flickr

Disclaimer: This is not my image but I assume ok to link as it's publicly available on Flickr.

Last edited:
I stumbled across the following image on Flickr some time ago (not my image) and really liked the photo but also the comments summed up the common issue that prevents a lot of people being able to enjoy street photography ....

The thing is, it's NOT common. It might be a belief many people hold that it is common, but for people who do street photography it's a very uncommon occurrence. I've had one confrontation (event management staff at a public event), and one amusing reaction (someone who thought I was taking a photo of him sticking his fingers up, when I was taking a photo of someone else). In five years. And I'm out pretty much every weekend with a DSLR and bulky lens.

So it's not common. I've had a single comment on Flickr that I felt was inappropriate (commenting on the looks on one subject, male as it happens) which I had removed, otherwise, nothing.

So don't let the fear stop you - because the actual situation is different to the misconception. Confrontations, responses, accusations, are extremely uncommon.

The thing is, it's NOT common. It might be a belief many people hold that it is common, but for people who do street photography it's a very uncommon occurrence. I've had one confrontation (event management staff at a public event), and one amusing reaction (someone who thought I was taking a photo of him sticking his fingers up, when I was taking a photo of someone else). In five years. And I'm out pretty much every weekend with a DSLR and bulky lens.

So it's not common. I've had a single comment on Flickr that I felt was inappropriate (commenting on the looks on one subject, male as it happens) which I had removed, otherwise, nothing.

So don't let the fear stop you - because the actual situation is different to the misconception. Confrontations, responses, accusations, are extremely uncommon.

It may not be a common occurrence based on your experience (and my lack of) but I'm pretty sure it's usually not far from people's minds (possibly more women's minds than men's) when they see someone on the street taking photos and using a dslr. Just because they don't say it, you can often see it in people's faces on photos, which does make me feel uncomfortable because I am in a state of alertness in anticipation of a problem. How relaxed you are about a potential problem I think depends on your personality type (i.e. an extrovert isn't as aware of his/her surroundings as much as an introvert type of personality is).

As I say... I haven't done much street photography but still had a young woman shout down the street at me calling me a pervert even though I was about 50 yards away from her and she just happened to walk into the empty street I was photographing. So potential problems like that make some people wary and others not.

It doesn't make you stick out. It only feels like it does to you. And once it feels like that, you'll start behaving in a way which does make you stick out. Photographers notice other photographers, but the general public often doesn't notice a bloody thing.

Yes. I watched this guy shooting video for some time outside Shoreditch Station in East London. I spotted him as soon as I got within about 30 feet but it appeared that no one else did. And none of the passers-by, nor the two women in this picture noticed me at all. I could have stood there for quite a while getting as many photos as I wanted. I bet the video guy also noticed me, though.

Candid Video Man
by Garry Knight, on Flickr

I haven't done much street photography but still had a young woman shout down the street at me calling me a pervert even though I was about 50 yards away from her and she just happened to walk into the empty street I was photographing. So potential problems like that make some people wary and others not.

This might be down to the geographical area in which you're doing your photography. For example, there are some areas of south-east London in which I wouldn't use a camera near a pub at certain hours of the day when some people are a little worse for 'wear'. I also hear that parts of Glasgow are similar, but I've never been there :)

Yes. I watched this guy shooting video for some time outside Shoreditch Station in East London. I spotted him as soon as I got within about 30 feet but it appeared that no one else did. And none of the passers-by, nor the two women in this picture noticed me at all. I could have stood there for quite a while getting as many photos as I wanted. I bet the video guy also noticed me, though.

Candid Video Man
by Garry Knight, on Flickr

This might be down to the geographical area in which you're doing your photography. For example, there are some areas of south-east London in which I wouldn't use a camera near a pub at certain hours of the day when some people are a little worse for 'wear'. I also hear that parts of Glasgow are similar, but I've never been there :)

Ha! That's kind of funny. Is he for real? He certainly doesn't look real. And, thinking about it, not particularly anonymous either.

It may not be a common occurrence based on your experience (and my lack of) but I'm pretty sure it's usually not far from people's minds (possibly more women's minds than men's) when they see someone on the street taking photos and using a dslr. Just because they don't say it, you can often see it in people's faces on photos, which does make me feel uncomfortable because I am in a state of alertness in anticipation of a problem. How relaxed you are about a potential problem I think depends on your personality type (i.e. an extrovert isn't as aware of his/her surroundings as much as an introvert type of personality is).

As I say... I haven't done much street photography but still had a young woman shout down the street at me calling me a pervert even though I was about 50 yards away from her and she just happened to walk into the empty street I was photographing. So potential problems like that make some people wary and others not.

I'm a huge introvert, I spend a lot of time worrying about how my actions affect other people, so I get it, I really do. I hope moments like that don't put people off, and my only point is that they are generally rare.

@slayerq

I've had a few reactions when people have noticed they happen to be in my image ;) no one has 'had a go' (yet anyway), but these are some of the good reactions i've found...

DSCF2914-Edit by Ash Smith, on Flickr

Barista by Ash Smith, on Flickr

DSCF2763-Edit by Ash Smith, on Flickr

DSC_0053-Edit-2 by Ash Smith, on Flickr

The barista guy spotted me taking the image and then struck a funny pose when he realised he was on 'film' - i'm going to take him a copy of the image next time I head into town.

I think one of the best ways to overcome the worry about shooting strangers is to "shoot through them" - for example I like to find a back drop that I think will work for an image and then compose asif I'm just shooting the arhitecture or whatever and then wait for the right person to walk into the right place - mostly people will walk on through without giving it a second thought... Each of these was shot like that...

DSCF2862-Edit-2 by Ash Smith, on Flickr

DSCF2968-Edit by Ash Smith, on Flickr

DSCF2877-Edit by Ash Smith, on Flickr

One other thing you could try is shooting somewhere with a high tourist population - that way people are used to hordes of cameras wandering around the place!

Last edited:
We all have our own opinions on what street photography is and in my defense, I cannot think of any revered street photographer who uses a tele. Taking candid headshots from 100m away I feel is not really what streetphotography is about.

OP keep practising with the 35mm. Like someone mentioned 90% of the time you get nothing it's like fishing. You could even take the same approach and find a spot and setup your shot and wait for the bite.

Last edited:
We all have our own opinions on what street photography is and in my defense, I cannot think of any revered street photographer who uses a tele.

Revered by whom? That's a self selecting prophecy. You only revere photographers who use a certain focal length, and so you can't think of any revered photographers who use a tele. That's no different to saying you prefer and most enjoy non-tele street photography. Of course, that's perfectly valid, everyone's entitled to prefer a certain style, but defining the whole genre by a focal length restriction is short sighted (excuse the pun).

Back