Street Photography - which lens?

24-105 for me. Sometimes from the hip, sometimes just view finder. Depends on the subject.

Lately I started using 185mm 2.8. Now I'm getting an EM1 with 75mm (150mm eq)

I like subject isolation

Lately I started using 185mm 2.8. Now I'm getting an EM1 with 75mm (150mm eq)

I like subject isolation

Brave move matey - im sticking with my main DSLR and just experimenting with different lenses - I've been using my kit 18-55 recently but going out this week using the 50mm 1.8 prime to see how I get on with that.. (y)

Going to be an interesting experiment with it as there's no zoom.. lol

Brave move matey - im sticking with my main DSLR and just experimenting with different lenses - I've been using my kit 18-55 recently but going out this week using the 50mm 1.8 prime to see how I get on with that.. (y)

Going to be an interesting experiment with it as there's no zoom.. lol

It feels mighty brave to walk around with a huge DSLR in my hands :) I think I'll be more comfortable with something smaller.

The 75mm 1.8 seems achievable of nice bokeh and subject isolation - how well that works for me I don't know. Then I might also get the 25mm 1.4 - since I'll have a smaller camera I might be ok getting closer to people.

Worst case scenario, I hate the IQ/isolation and i sell it all and maybe lose a weekends hire cost.

Fair point matey - I did consider getting a Fuji X100s but difficult to justify the £700ish at the moment.. I want to run through using the lenses I've got for street stuff to see if any of them suit street photography specifically for me when out and about on my mobility scooter.. If I can get on with one in particular then jobs a good 'un.. If not its going to be a case of digging deep and looking at the X100s again.. lol

35mm sigma 1.4 art or any 35mm. You must come closer to people but separation between object and background perfect. My mind 35mm range lens is the best for street photography with no reason you can buy leica or Fuji with the same range. Once again 35 mm ;)

35mm sigma 1.4 art or any 35mm. You must come closer to people but separation between object and background perfect. My mind 35mm range lens is the best for street photography with no reason you can buy leica or Fuji with the same range. Once again 35 mm ;)

I've already moved onto using my manual zeiss lens, 35mm 1.4 distagon, for street photography now - really enjoying it

Looks very well. What you do to photograph the people from close distance like that?
They ask you "why you photograph me? Or do you take my picture?"

Looks very well. What you do to photograph the people from close distance like that?
They ask you "why you photograph me? Or do you take my picture?"

There's a lot of hip shooting involved - but not all the time. One person recently asked why I took a photo of him, and threatened to call the police - didn't take long to cool the situation down.. but he did rabbit on abit afterwards...

Sometimes when I could quite easily use the viewfinder, I'm confident enough to frame using hipshooting - because it's quicker and I like the lower point of view.

Before I settled on the 35mm, I did a fair bit of telephoto shooting - which included street photography with a 200mm f2 - some people asked me about it, but it was all quite positive - they'd ask me what it was, I gave them technical detail, whereas I discovered all they wanted to hear was 'a lens' :)

Here's telephoto street
https://www.flickr.com/photos/62198876@N02/sets/72157643448738663/

Well dancook
I would not say that you have failed because I like you pictures and thats a good thing ..;)

Some great images there dancook. I particularly like the two guys leaning on each other, rather amusing!

I've not actually managed any yet, but I want to get out into Limassol as the tourist season is up and running and there are some interesting sights!!!

Depends - I've recently been prowling the tube with a 14mm or my 24-105 on a 5D mk3

14mm super wide, walk close with the camera by your side and trigger as you go poast. Remember to use silent shutter and turn beeps off.

I saw a guy on the beach in Greece walking up and down doing that - my thoughts? Dirty b*****d! Lol:exit:

A totally laid back friend of mine walks right up to people and chats and asks if he can take their picture. He says 9 out of 10 have no problem with that. He's in his 20's and has a manner about him that seems to put people at ease. Not easy for everyone though. So I think you have to see which of the techniques suggested here suits you. Candid with a long lens. Up close and personal, with a wide lens. From the hip with a flip out LCD. Whichever feels right for you or your subject type. I'm not as bold as some people, so I'm trying to become more confident.
At the moment I find it easier asking people who are doing an activity, where they expect to be seen. Like roller bladers, skate boarders, street basketball. Police or military. Even people in big tourist groups seem to respond well if you call out to them and wave. You'll get eye contact and many smiles. And you don't feel sneaky afterwards. Some here:

In the rain
by ianp5a, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back