Street? Photography.

Name
Dale
Edit My Images
Yes
As an ageing newcomer to photography, would just like to ask how all your street togs go about getting your content. Is there any technique that you employ? Do you approach your subjects and talk with them? Do you 'secretly' click away? Do you engage them in any way? I just wanted to ask because some of the work I have seen looks fantastic, and I am thinking is it staged, how did they manage that?. Anyway any sort of input would be appreciated.

If I want to get close to people I shoot ‘from the hip’ trying not to draw attention.

Other times I will compose a shot based on the background and just wait for a person to enter into the desired position.

I never engage with the subjects before or after and for me, it’s never staged.

https://www.instagram.com/dancookphoto/

Last edited:
Hi Dan, thanks for the reply. I think when I said staged, I did not mean it in a bad way, I meant if you see an interesting person, subject etc, would you ask that person to stand here, or there to get an interesting perspective.

Hi Dan, thanks for the reply. I think when I said staged, I did not mean it in a bad way, I meant if you see an interesting person, subject etc, would you ask that person to stand here, or there to get an interesting perspective.

Did not mean to suggest it’s a bad thing, I just find it difficult to approach strangers. Go for it!

I take a similar approach to Dan, using a 35mm prime lens and stopping down to f8 for a better d.o.f

and always look for unusual activity or those with some impact

like this

Dg5rsil.jpg

or colour if you prefer

aLeg6TV.jpg

or - seek out subjects in town centres ( obviously stick to social distancing rules )

1T1Tq4A.jpg

Les :)

Very nice les, loving that second shot in colour.

I prefer mono for street photography Dale and PP with high contrast black and white

like this Policeman I just walked up and took his photo :)

DsNvxeY.jpg

I much prefer to stand well back and use a long focal length. My interest is in recording people as they go about their public lives.

Bearded man in wool cap at Exeter bus station 5D IMG_3554.JPG

Bus driver and passengers Exeter bus station _1050218.JPG

Young woman running Woolbrook Road Sidmouth DSC03047.JPG

I wouldn't class stranger portraits as street photography, but it's very much a question of semantics.

One tip is to go to the same place and get to know it. Chester was my "haunt" when I used to be able to get out. Same location, different photos. Similar to what Dan was talking about but rather than the background, look for a place where things "happen" and wait there. Invariably something will. I like to make street photographs that make people smile. Elliot Erwitt was a genius at this and "Personal Best" is a superb book.

All the below taken at different times from the same (rough) place....

The Lone Fan
by Ian, on Flickr

Don't Play All Day
by Ian, on Flickr

No sir, I don't like it.
by Ian, on Flickr

Still having fun
by Ian, on Flickr

Thanks for the input guys, it's much appreciated. Ian that's the sort of thing I would like to have a go at.

Thanks for the input guys, it's much appreciated. Ian that's the sort of thing I would like to have a go at.

Then I'd suggest a copy of "Street Photography Now" as well as Erwitt's "Personal Best".

Just had a look at Amazon, £272 for a copy !!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys - I wrote that book! Yes, it's on Amazon and you can get a signed copy directly from me. I also wrote '52 Assignments: Street Photography'. Please check out my website and blog for all things street photography! Also my YouTube channel, which is fairly new but I'm trying to produce helpful and informative content. Do feel free to shout if I can help with anything :)

I rarely engage with my subject unless I have positive vibes coming off them. As soon as you engage with them it’s not quite street photography. Only you know what works for you according to your personality, comfort zone and equipment you own. Some photography can look staged where you have a composition and wait for something to happen within the composition.

As an ageing newcomer to photography, would just like to ask how all your street togs go about getting your content. Is there any technique that you employ? Do you approach your subjects and talk with them? Do you 'secretly' click away? Do you engage them in any way? I just wanted to ask because some of the work I have seen looks fantastic, and I am thinking is it staged, how did they manage that?. Anyway any sort of input would be appreciated.

Some things to keep in mind.
Most of the great street photography was done in large cities, especially New York and Tokyo.
Most of the great street photography was done in a time past when people interacted on the streets and different tribes existed rather than today's homogenous look.

So how do you do Street Photography in the modern age, in say, Norwich? Don't walk around expecting to get the 'decisive moment' for a start- you'll just end up with a series of dull photos of people walking from one place to another, or looking at mobile phones.

Go out with an idea of what you want to document. Walk lots and get an idea for the feel of places and the people. Don't be afraid to mix up approaches- landscape/urban landscape, portraits, and yes candids. Realise that 99% of the photos you're going to take are rubbish.

Edit - Oh, also enjoy it! Eat some lunch in the area you're photographing, have a coffee or beer. Talk to some people who live/work in the area.

Last edited:
10854429 for print.jpg

Street photography can be done almost anywhere, some places are more photogenic than others but you can make interesting picture almost anywhere.

20141104-IKM22 for print.jpg

33841590.jpg

Keeping your eyes open and in tune with what may be going on around you is essential as is knowing your chosen camera so as not to be messing around when the image presents itself

IKM35146-PRINTBW.jpg

Back