Street Portrait Query

Edit My Images
No
I am looking at starting an ongoing series of street portraits, ie ones where I ask someone if I can take their picture rather than dedicated street, my question however, is if (and its a big if!) this project ever developed into something I would like to publish ie in a book, would I need model releases for each person, or would the fact they have agreed be sufficient?

I am looking at starting an ongoing series of street portraits, ie ones where I ask someone if I can take their picture rather than dedicated street, my question however, is if (and its a big if!) this project ever developed into something I would like to publish ie in a book, would I need model releases for each person, or would the fact they have agreed be sufficient?

Rob, I have completed two rounds of 100 strangers now, printed books for both them as a keepsake.
I don't think I'd ever be able to sell any copies though as I had them printed through Blurb and feel they are prohibitively expensive for a book. Cost around £50 each to have them printed.

In answer to your OP, I think permission could be assumed as they have obviously agreed to have you make their portrait, I would say that is suffice.

That's a lot of strangers! I don't really foresee me ever selling any but it was just a what if!

That does seem quite expensive, I had no idea how much it cost. Re the permission, that was my thoughts, I guess unless you're selling the images for advertising etc but that would never be my intention, more just a study of people!

Do you have any links to your stranger projects or just printed copies? PS any tips greatly appreciated!

That's a lot of strangers! I don't really foresee me ever selling any but it was just a what if!

That does seem quite expensive, I had no idea how much it cost. Re the permission, that was my thoughts, I guess unless you're selling the images for advertising etc but that would never be my intention, more just a study of people!

Do you have any links to your stranger projects or just printed copies? PS any tips greatly appreciated!

I got my books printed through Blurb, there are probably cheaper alternatives but I found the blurb software easy to use. It meant I could try different layouts before committing to print.
I went with a portrait per page with the write up on the opposite page, so quite 'extravagant' in the layout.

Back to approaching strangers, I have cards printed with all my contact details on. Its a one way transaction, I don't ask any personal details, that way if the stranger chooses to get in touch afterwards they can. If not, they remain anonymous. I explain to people what I will be doing with their portraits afterwards, ie Flickr, my Facebook photography page etc. So they know from the outset that it will be in the public domain, social media etc. This is where the assumed permission comes from in my opinion.

Expect people to decline having their portrait made, its their choice but don't take it personally. I thank them for their time and move on. In 200 stranger portraits I've had maybe 50 people decline but I've never had a negative reaction.

I have a link to my stranger project in my signature above, I have them all up on Flickr too and as mentioned my Facebook photography page which is public.

Good luck with it Rob, I'm sure you will enjoy it, I know I certainly did/do. Any other queries/questions please fire away.

Rob, you're free to publish the images in a book without their permission - the same goes for publication in magazines, exhibitions in galleries etc. What you can't do is sell the images for third party commecial use without their permission. Having said that, it's usually worth getting people to sign a model release anyway - particularly as they are posing for you and presumably relaxed about being photographed.

With books like this, they tend to work better if there's a strong theme - for example "East End Faces". If your collection is too random it'll have less appeal. I'm currently working on a book called "The Souls of Soho" which is all about the old characters who are in their 70s, 80s or 90s who are part of the fabric of the 'old Soho'.

Good luck!
Brian

Rob, you're free to publish the images in a book without their permission - the same goes for publication in magazines, exhibitions in galleries etc. What you can't do is sell the images for third party commecial use without their permission. Having said that, it's usually worth getting people to sign a model release anyway - particularly as they are posing for you and presumably relaxed about being photographed.

With books like this, they tend to work better if there's a strong theme - for example "East End Faces". If your collection is too random it'll have less appeal. I'm currently working on a book called "The Souls of Soho" which is all about the old characters who are in their 70s, 80s or 90s who are part of the fabric of the 'old Soho'.

Good luck!
Brian

With regards to the part of your post I have highlighted in bold, I would tend to disagree with.
In my experience, asking someone to sign a model release would make the interaction an entirely 'clunky' exchange.
Sometimes, people are 'suspicious' when asking to make their portrait, they wonder what I am going to do with the image afterwards. On the one hand for me to say its for my portfolio, my people photography skills, as a bit of social commentary only. For then on the other hand ask them to sign a model release makes the interaction 'official'.

Perhaps I am projecting my thoughts/feelings onto this but I just think I would be ultimately suspicious and reluctant to add my signature/permission to some random photographer on the street.

All of the above is my personal opinion, feel free to disregard.

With regards to the part of your post I have highlighted in bold, I would tend to disagree with.
In my experience, asking someone to sign a model release would make the interaction an entirely 'clunky' exchange.
Sometimes, people are 'suspicious' when asking to make their portrait, they wonder what I am going to do with the image afterwards. On the one hand for me to say its for my portfolio, my people photography skills, as a bit of social commentary only. For then on the other hand ask them to sign a model release makes the interaction 'official'.

Perhaps I am projecting my thoughts/feelings onto this but I just think I would be ultimately suspicious and reluctant to add my signature/permission to some random photographer on the street.

All of the above is my personal opinion, feel free to disregard.

I think it depends on the photographer's attitude, Iain - and how they approach it with the subject - and I guess their confidence. I've been asking people to sign model releases for more years than I can remember and have never found it awkward or 'clunky' - and have rarely had a refusal. Sometimes I offer to send them a (lo-res) copy of the image, which can be a nice quid pro quo for signing the form.

99 times out of a hundred you won't need one anyway, so it's generally no big deal if they flatly refuse. I just like to have one 'just in case' and to cover all eventualities. There's no harm in asking!

Tips for if you are asking someone for a portrait:

• Talk about what drew you to them- hat, hair, clothes
  • Take slightly more photos than you think you need (don't take just one!)
  • Try and find the background you want first and either find someone near it or ask if they can come to the bakcground

Back