Beginner Street Shooting Styles

Name
Duncan
Edit My Images
Yes
Not so much styles other than... long lens Vs confrontational Vs Surreptitious :)

I'd like to try more street but wondering how others deal with the reactions of the subjects?

I missed a cracking (albeit only on phone camera) shot today of two crusty old chaps playing chess with a breakfast pint in Wetherspoons but as I raised the phone from my table top one looked over with quite the glare... :)

Do I just need to be more hard faced or ??

In my experience the vast majority of people don't notice. People are wrapped up in their own lives. And if they do notice, they don't seem to care.

In my experience the vast majority of people don't notice. People are wrapped up in their own lives. And if they do notice, they don't seem to care.
I'm probably over-thinking it then :) How close generally are you to the subjects when shooting?

Wait for your 'subject' to come to you, that way you are not invading their space.

Yea probably best avoid taking pics of people eating.

If you watch videos of Garry Winogrand, he is very good at kinda looking like a dumb tourist taking pics of everything and searching for pics in his scenery.

I would watch him and see if there is anything about the way he goes about it that you like.

There's a big difference between being out on the street and being inside a public place like Wetherspoons. Inside a pub, people have the expectation of privacy and, even though it's perfectly legal to take photos it's down to you to decide whether it's ethical or not. However, if people didn't do it, we wouldn't have so much excellent social documentary on how things change down the ages.

Out on the street, what Sassafras says above is about 90% of it. Almost everybody is wrapped up in what they're thinking and doing, and they're almost always not thinking about you at all. If they look at you, they're not thinking, "I must ask that guy about photography"; they're more likely to be looking unthinkingly, or at most thinking, "Is he thinking of taking a picture of me?". I said, "almost everybody" because there are other photographers out there and street photographers do notice other photographers and categorise them into other street photographers, pros on a job, people who bought a DSLR because the guy in the shop told them to, and people who might have actually done some research and are serious about their photography, all pretty much unconsciously. Everybody else is thinking about what that *!(£&* called them on Twitter, or whether to go for that pint now or later, or whatever is in their heads at the time.

How well you get on (in terms of how many photos you actually get to take) depends on many factors, but the most important one, IMO, is how 'visible' you are. As I said, people not noticing you is about 90% of it. The other 10% is mostly about not getting people to notice you. You turn up nervously with a Canon 1D with a big white 70-200 f/2.8 and you might as well walk up to people and wave a flag. Or, you look around you a couple of times then lift your phone up as if to check Google Maps, and press the volume button on your headset to take the shot, and you stay invisible - the lost tourist. But it's not just about which camera you use. Some people can still be invisible even with the 1D and the 70-200. It's about your behaviour.

Most of the time, I can stand at Piccadilly Circus (where the whole world passes by) with my Sony mirrorless (or whatever) all afternoon getting shot after shot of people right next to me, across the street, or somewhere in between, and I'm pretty much invisible. And it's because of the way I feel. If I stand there and look at people and realise that they've got their own stuff going on, and that they're not waiting for a chance to poke me with sharp sticks, I can stay relaxed. I can look around and notice potential subjects and let my eyes slide right past without looking at them for any length of time. I know the settings well enough to have the camera set up with only small adjustments needed, even when I'm shooting full manual. I can lift the camera and roll my finger over the shutter button and bring the camera down again smoothly. And only if I think it's necessary, maybe I shake my head and give the camera a small shake as if something has gone wrong, and point it elsewhere and take a shot as if I'm a beginner having camera problems. Or I could lift my camera up and take the shot and then, keeping the camera up, I look around it as if I've just noticed that my subject is standing in the way of my actual subject, something behind them; I can then move slightly and shoot past them. But only if I feel it's necessary because I really want that shot of them. I rarely need to use this kind of trick, but I mention it to give an idea of what's possible, and how you can get a shot of someone even if they're staring at you.

If at some point your brain starts nagging you about that pint, or what's happening on Twitter, ignore it, stay awake, keep looking around. Watch the light to see where it's coming from, what it's doing to the surfaces around you, how it's reflecting, where the shadows are, and so on. You know, regular photographer stuff.

So far I've left out what is probably the number one rule: don't make eye contact with your subject. Unless they actually approach you, that is. Following that rule, I've only ever been challenged once, and that was back in about 2008 by a woman who thought I'd taken a picture of her. I hadn't. I was taking a long-zoom shot past her of the South Bank in London.

Anyway, enough of my rambling. There are quite a few good videos on YouTube about street photography that are worth looking at if you're serious about shooting more street. There are also a lot that are not worth looking at, so look for words in the title like "Tips" or "Do's and Don'ts". Oh, and if you do get some good shots, post them in the Capture a stranger street style thread. We'd love to see them.

A technique that works best for me is that shooting from the hip. Not looking through the viewfinder and in the mean time, hold your camera low is a great way to photograph people without being notice by them. Classic film cameras like the Hasselblad and Rolleiflex were specially designed with large viewfinders on top, making it easy to see from waist-level.

One more from me, especially for situations like pubs: Watch people taking selfies on their phones. Watch their behaviour, notice how they smile or mug for the camera. The next bit works best if you have one or two friends who can help. Aim the phone at the subject but make it obvious you're actually taking a selfie (you're not, of course). Behave in a selfie-taking manner and don't look at your subject at all, apart from on the phone screen. If you want to hold the phone in landscape orientation (most selfie-takers don't), this is where your friend(s) can come in handy. You and your friend(s) move nearer together, facing the phone, so you're holding it sideways to get everything in.

If you think your subject might challenge you to show them the selfie, you could take your photo of your subject, shake your head and tut a bit, then re-take it but as an actual selfie this time.

And this is now starting to get like Spy School 101 :)

I think... shooting sneakily e.g. from the hip is much more likely to lead to problems then being quick and honest.

It's a tool I think in street photographer's arsenal, but not something to be relied on at all times. Generally you want candid shots without the person noticing you* and if that involves shooting from the hip, ill do it.

*To stop the photo becoming a reaction to you, rather then the moment that you where taking a picture of in the first place.

I missed a cracking (albeit only on phone camera) shot today of two crusty old chaps playing chess with a breakfast pint in Wetherspoons but as I raised the phone from my table top one looked over with quite the glare... :)

Nothing to do with being hard faced. The failure was them noticing you, had you made eye contact or had you been watching them for a while before taking the photo ?
Practice with a group of friends in a pub taking candids of them - if they start looking at you whilst your taking the photo, you've failed. It's something I tend to do a lot of now and I've ended up with some great photos.

Ask yourself why are you doing it?

You can look up on Google how to pre-focus, meter off your hand, & then go out on an overcast day with the camera by your side rattling off hundreds of photos from the hip just to get one half-decent shot. I know. I did it. They're all binned now because they didn't mean anything to me.

For me, it's about our human-ness, & it's about how people relate to each other. It's about the story. To get that, I need to park myself and stop so I can watch the world around me and how the people in it are behaving. But that's me - slow and plodding. Zoom lenses don't work because they isolate too much. Hip shooting doesn't work because I can't see what I'm framing. I need to raise the camera and take the photo. If people stop and query, they get - as Simon said - a smile and a mouthed "thank you". If they ask (they did once) I say it's for a project. If anyone ever asked me to remove it - I'd do it despite the law saying I don't need to. I don't want to spoil anyone's day - least of all mine by rowing with a stranger.

Look at the work of Matt Stuart & Elliot Erwitt and their fantastic juxtaposition work (which I love and so rarely get right). Or how about Bruce Gilden's "in your face with flash and give no f***s" attitude. Which is right? There's no answer to that, but you need to know what it is you want before you start looking at techniques. What are you trying to capture? You could even consider something like Iain's "Strangers" project (go look in "Personal Projects & Themes" here) for another different - and amazing - take on people in the wild.

Street Photography isn't just "people on phones" "backs of heads", or "weird angles from the hip". There's thousands of those out there.
It's about work that matters. To begin with at least - make it matter to you.

Hope that helps - only just seen the OP date.. :)

As a seasoned street shooter, I have only had a couple of instances where people have been funny with me taking photos in public. Both weren’t that bad, I think people tend to over think things.

Your best bet is NOT using a zoom lens. There’s nothing more awakward than seeing someone on the streets with a big zoom just lingering about waiting to get a shot. You are far more likely to get reactions from people behaving like this, and you tend to find the photos will not be as intimate shooting with a zoom from afar. I have even had conversations with random people in London, where they have pointed out how creepy the ‘guy with the big lens’ is hanging about. Although they are prime targets for the ‘spotted a photographer’ thread! :p

A good bet is either making it obvious you are a photographer, and people will just assume you are a tourist in most cities, or be really casual and shoot with a more compact camera. Someone mentioned shooting from the hip, which is a handy tool in a street togs arsenal, but it takes practice to nail decent shots.

Be polite, and be ready to give a reason why you are taking a photograph. You tend to find people struggle or just say ‘street photography’, and you will find if you are taking a random shot without a story or substance to the photo, it is awkward to defend.

That would be my main point: Shoot moments, not just random passers by. So many people just take a photo of someone walking past and there is nothing to it, other than a shot taken on the street. Although, you will find the odd photo that comes out great, a random photo of someone with no real context is just a boring snapshot, and you don’t want to clog up forums with these kind of photos (IMO).

I am sure you will get someone chiming in about these comments, but honestly find a street tog you like online, and look at what it is you enjoy about their work. See if anything resonates with you, and take that energy with you onto the streets.

Your best bet is NOT using a zoom lens. There’s nothing more awakward than seeing someone on the streets with a big zoom just lingering about waiting to get a shot. You are far more likely to get reactions from people behaving like this, and you tend to find the photos will not be as intimate shooting with a zoom from afar. I have even had conversations with random people in London, where they have pointed out how creepy the ‘guy with the big lens’ is hanging about. Although they are prime targets for the ‘spotted a photographer’ thread!

I don't tend to comment on these suggestions, because I know it's not a popular view, but you can take street photographs at any focal length. The key is that the image contains an element of humanity and is interesting. There's a very common style which relies on short focal lengths and the sense of 'being there' but it is absolutely not the only way to shoot street photography.

Additionally, it's entirely possible to use long focal lengths, zooms, big lenses, etc. and get totally ignored. It's about confidence (which is possible to learn, even if it's hard).

Also, where you are makes a heck of a difference. If you're in a busy, metropolitan area, you'll get ignored pretty much all the time. If you're in a small town centre, you're going to stick out even if you're wielding a tiny compact. I've seen people shooting street photography with medium format phase one's and essentially being ignored, but it was a very metropolitan location.

I get ignored most of the time, using a fairly large body (Canon 7d2 or sometimes the 6d), and a 24-105 lens. I've sat and shot street photographs with a lovely white 70-200 lens.

Everyone should feel empowered to go out and shoot photographs with whatever they have, getting the emotional effect they want, using a mix of focal lengths, styles, and compositions. There is no single right way.

I don't tend to comment on these suggestions, because I know it's not a popular view, but you can take street photographs at any focal length. The key is that the image contains an element of humanity and is interesting. There's a very common style which relies on short focal lengths and the sense of 'being there' but it is absolutely not the only way to shoot street photography.

Additionally, it's entirely possible to use long focal lengths, zooms, big lenses, etc. and get totally ignored. It's about confidence (which is possible to learn, even if it's hard).

Also, where you are makes a heck of a difference. If you're in a busy, metropolitan area, you'll get ignored pretty much all the time. If you're in a small town centre, you're going to stick out even if you're wielding a tiny compact. I've seen people shooting street photography with medium format phase one's and essentially being ignored, but it was a very metropolitan location.

I get ignored most of the time, using a fairly large body (Canon 7d2 or sometimes the 6d), and a 24-105 lens. I've sat and shot street photographs with a lovely white 70-200 lens.

Everyone should feel empowered to go out and shoot photographs with whatever they have, getting the emotional effect they want, using a mix of focal lengths, styles, and compositions. There is no single right way.

You can take most kinds of photography with any lens, and that goes without saying. I get tired of putting that on every post I make on this forum, but when I don’t it gets pointed out in a very similar fashion lol. Perhaps I should put it in my signature.... though I doubt people would notice ;)

I agree with everything you are saying. However, in my experience what I have stated stands. People can and will use whatever they are comfortable with, but sometimes it is good to step out of your comfort zone and experience different things. Being able to read environments is key, but for someone starting out I feel they should try different things in order to find out what works for them.

EDIT: I love shooting street photography on my Mamiya 645 & Rolleiflex. Film & Sensor size is less relevant to this point than focal length. I would encourage people to try medium format street photography! It is a lot of fun.

Last edited:
You can take most kinds of photography with any lens, and that goes without saying. I get tired of putting that on every post I make on this forum, but when I don’t it gets pointed out in a very similar fashion lol. Perhaps I should put it in my signature.... though I doubt people would notice ;)

I agree with everything you are saying. However, in my experience what I have stated stands. People can and will use whatever they are comfortable with, but sometimes it is good to step out of your comfort zone and experience different things. Being able to read environments is key, but for someone starting out I feel they should try different things in order to find out what works for them.

EDIT: I love shooting street photography on my Mamiya 645 & Rolleiflex. Film & Sensor size is less relevant to this point than focal length. I would encourage people to try medium format street photography! It is a lot of fun.

Indeed, and I certainly wasn't trying to suggest you were saying anything different. Yours was the last post in the thread, and so I just wanted to respond. For some reason, in my experience, street photography excites the '35mm / 50mm is the only way' folk more than say, landscape, fashion or portraiture do. As you say, you need to pick a focal length that gives you the effect you're looking for.

Indeed, and I certainly wasn't trying to suggest you were saying anything different. Yours was the last post in the thread, and so I just wanted to respond. For some reason, in my experience, street photography excites the '35mm / 50mm is the only way' folk more than say, landscape, fashion or portraiture do. As you say, you need to pick a focal length that gives you the effect you're looking for.

It’s probably more along the lines of 24mm and 28mm now ;)

I think the ‘whatever you are comfortable with’ is probably the term that most people jump in with. Let us not feed into stereotypes :)

Not so much styles other than... long lens Vs confrontational Vs Surreptitious :)

I'd like to try more street but wondering how others deal with the reactions of the subjects?

I don’t do “street” but because I often have only one free hand to hold/touch my iPhone I get steadier photos using a Bluetooth release and it seems to me that would work in the situation you describe since it’s not obvious that you are taking pictures. You can get a cheap Bluetooth release with a loop and attach to your belt or wrist or whatever.

I could use my wired remote, but I can do even better than that by using my Android phone or tablet as a remote release, though I'd have to shoot wide and I'd still need three hands. But since my main camera has a flip-down screen, I can just be "a beginner fiddling with his settings" instead. Still, I very rarely do this as I much prefer using the EVF.

While I'm on the subject of viewfinders, people who shoot street using the monitor on their compact or mirrorless, or live view on their DSLR, might find that they're inadvertently flipping their eyes between the monitor and their subject. It's not hard to train yourself not to do that, but if you use your viewfinder you don't ever need to make eye contact after you've made the decision to take the photo.

[And if anyone is reading this who isn't (yet) a street photographer, I want to stress that all this apparent subterfuge is so that the moments we capture are candid - i.e. unposed and unrehearsed. I'm always prepared to discuss this with any subject who asks.]

Personally I find street photographs @> 35mm to be creepy, 21, 24, 28, and 35 are the best (MAYBE 40mm on occasion).

I meter for the highlights, then for shadows, and pick one depending on the conditions. Lens stopped down to f11 @ 1.5m and shutter round 500.

Lift, click, done.

Personally I find street photographs @> 35mm to be creepy, 21, 24, 28, and 35 are the best (MAYBE 40mm on occasion).

This is shot at 60mm on a crop body (so 35mm equivalent view would be 90mm).

Forget whether it's any good - why is it creepy?

Perspective by Tony Evans, on Flickr

This one's at 200mm (on a full frame, so 200mm).

Who Watches the Watchers by Tony Evans, on Flickr

Again, ignore whether you think it's good, interesting, or worth the effort, can you describe why it's creepy?

Maybe a good starting point for the op is, go somewhere where people are expected to be seen with camera's, events, shows, tourist areas. Practice in these places, you will feel less self conscious or go out with a group of friends with camera's.
Some people are more confident than others, that just the way it is, but you can learn to blend in. Just take a camera (a compact would be even better), no bag, no flashy strap with Canon /nikon splashed all over it, walk around your chosen area and look for interesting interactions between people or as someone else said 'juxtaposition'.
Street photography isn't easy, just like most types of photography, it takes time and practice to get it right.

This is shot at 60mm on a crop body (so 35mm equivalent view would be 90mm).

Forget whether it's any good - why is it creepy?

Perspective by Tony Evans, on Flickr

This one's at 200mm (on a full frame, so 200mm).

Who Watches the Watchers by Tony Evans, on Flickr

Again, ignore whether you think it's good, interesting, or worth the effort, can you describe why it's creepy?

I find shots at over 35mm to be more voyeristic for the viewer, I’m not saying EVERY shot at over 35mm on the street falls into that category, but I find < 35mm to be more engaging. To make a decent shot at <28mm you either have to ask permission or be bold, both of which reflect to the viewer.

I find shots at over 35mm to be more voyeristic for the viewer, I’m not saying EVERY shot at over 35mm on the street falls into that category, but I find < 35mm to be more engaging. To make a decent shot at <28mm you either have to ask permission or be bold, both of which reflect to the viewer.
You could ask permission after you've taken the shot/s. I've done this a few times, just says, "Oh I seem to have caught you in my picture, I'm working on a project for the local camera club, I can delete it if you like".

There's nothing like keeping people happy, you don't want confrontation, you want to enjoy your day out with your camera.

Another trick is to snap your subject, then if he looks at you don't meet his eyes, look past him, over his shoulder, maybe give your imaginary friend the thumbs up or something. :)

Maybe a good starting point for the op is, go somewhere where people are expected to be seen with camera's, events, shows, tourist areas.
Good point!

I don't take pictures of people, or anything for that matter, around chavvy housing estates or places where people on disability allowance are employed on building sites!

I go where the tourists go.

Back