Beginner Street Shots

I like the 2nd with the obvious interaction and dog-appeal but I'm not drawn to #1 in any way. :)

Yep, the second for me too! (y)

Yep - No1 is just two people and although there the question of what they are looking at - it isn't enough.

No2, however, is a great moment captured :)

Personally I love No1 - two people deep in thought and 'looking out of the frame' adds intrigue. Pin sharp as well :)

Thanks guys. For number 1, I kind of thought there might be enough sense of wonder (e.g. what are they looking at?) for the image to hold up, but I guess not. Cheers anyway :)

No2 for me- I feel street images should tell a story or hint at one- No2 does this for me

Les

I like #1, I think it's because I'm instantly drawn to the eyes, but it's composed wrong. Theres too much dead space behind them and it would be a much stronger image if the subjects were to the right of the frame and the dead space was where they were looking.

#2 needs the same processing applied to it as #1 has, crisper, brighter, more punchy, but the subject matter is good. Perhaps experiment with cropping a little tighter to the right and top?

Last edited:
You've got edit ticked. Just to show you what I mean with #1 I've done a quick and dirty cut off the right, inverted it and stuck it on the left. I might even consider cropping to the back of her head
Now if you compose in camera it's easier ;) :D

Untitled-2.jpg

I had the discussion with someone about the people being positioned to the right of the frame and 'looking into some space', but the counter argument was that they had just walked out of the doorway to the right and then 'spotted something'. I guess there is no right or wrong answer?

I had the discussion with someone about the people being positioned to the right of the frame and 'looking into some space', but the counter argument was that they had just walked out of the doorway to the right and then 'spotted something'. I guess there is no right or wrong answer?
Your absolutely right. Sometimes it works either way. In this case I prefer the edit though.

Compositionally I like the edit by Byker but I would much prefer the original color version.

It's not a great edit though, just a bit of a bodge to suggest a different composition. Sometimes it's not possible because of other items out of frame that you've cropped out in the shot, sometimes you see other things.

But it's a suggestion, as the op is identified as a beginner, that sometimes it's better to have people looking through and out the frame, not to always have subjects central.

Last edited:
Back