Street togging for scaredy-cats (where did you do it first)

Edit My Images
Yes
I bet lots (a few) people on here would love to try it but, they(yes, me too) are scaredy-cats :(

Where did you first try it ? Was it in a tourist hot-spot, where it wasn't unusual for someone with a camera to be shooting away ?

Or, was in your home town, somewhere not touristy at all and you just bit your lip and got on with it, ignoring all the dirty looks ?

This was something that I was interested in but I lack the nerve. I take my hat off to those that can do it.

The only situation where I would do it is in Luke's example if I was somewhere like London as a 'tourist' or at events where people are otherwise distracted.

You can also use a decoy I suppose - a friend (or two) to pose for you and you shoot past them to capture your intended subject. Not sure about the ethics behind this though. I'd feel a bit uncomfortable. I'm a scaredy cat - It's official. It's probably not very practical either. Street scenes can be very dynamic.

If you pluck up the courage to take shots it can be rewarding. The only thing I stay away from is kids, it just feels wrong in this day and age.

That's a given. I have a 2 year old and take my camera out all the time, but when there are a lot of other kids around at parks etc. The camera stays in the bag unless it's clear that I'm only getting him in the frame. It's a sad state of affairs, but this is the World we live in.

I love taking canidid street shots. There does seem to be a knack to it, and a long lens helps. The further away you are the better.
I started taking mine when i was away in Eastern Europe (Estonia) just sitting outside a cafe having a coffee shooting passers by.

It does happen. No big deal though, I can understand why people would mind.

I think it can get blown out of proportion though. Yes, some people do mind and occasionally will make sure you know it. But I'd say that that kind of self consciousness isn't unique to street photography -- people can feel awkward or exposed setting up a camera, tripod, taking a reading, waiting for the light etc etc when out and about doing landscapes (although there's less risk of getting chinned).

It's a sad state of affairs, but this is the World we live in.

No it's the world you choose to live in.

Personally I've never taken street type photo's in the UK I only really feel the need when I'm on holiday and then I stand out like a sore thumb so drawing abit more attention to me is hardly going to hurt. I'm not sure when but every where we go I get picked out as not only a tourist but a British tourist even when with the better half who half the time gets mistaken for a local!

Thinking about it before hand I admit did concern me but as soon as I started taking shots I found I was so engrossed with what I was doing I forgot about all the people around me.

My first time was in Chester city centre the Saturday before Christmas (see thread Street: The Challenge). I was pretty rubbish and really nervous but it was so busy and people were in such a rush that most were oblivious to me. Did get a few smiles...and a few glares hehe!

I imagine somewhere really busy is a good place to start. Who knows what your taking a photo of? I'm sure i'd be much more self concious in my local village standing outside the post office...

anna

Please note I am making no claims whatsoever about the quality of this photo

But it can be a good starting point if you're nervous of taking pictures of people directly to take photos of a building that just happens to have people doing stuff in front of it.

Like ...

2452145251_f38507754b.jpg

I first tried it in my local town but I felt so exposed and self conscious that I didn't take a single photo. Much easier in London where there are far more people to lend in with, especially when so many of them are carrying cameras and, when DSLRs have become so cheap and popular, you don't even stand out with one of those.

I have tried it in this country and felt really uncomfortable.Overseas and obviously looking like a tourist----no problem at all.Perhaps I should dress up like an American tourist and try again.Strangely I really enjoy night shooting in town centres with a w/a but then I am getting close to shopfronts etc and concentrating on the wonderful different lighting,reflection and perpective effects--not on people.Maybe part of it is the fact that Im lugging a gripped DSLR that makes me stand out like a sore thumb.All the greats used those beautiful Leica rangefinders which were much less conspicuous-------Now theres a thought---perhaps I should give it another try with my little Panny? All respect to you Togs who do though.
Pete.

I've done it in Edinburgh city centre a couple of times now, lots of tourists there so you don't stand out too much. I did still find it quite hard though, and found myself taking pictures of peoples backs a lot. It's a learning curve! :)

Hehe I got some funny looks in Princes Street today and I was just holding my A300!

First time I ever got up the nerve to try was this New Years in Barcelona. People there seem to be a touch more friendly/ un bothered about it. Although i've put myself up for the London challenge, so time will tell.

Now where's my old powershot got to ;)

Large numbers of tourists is defiantly the place to start building confidence.. I count myself very luck to have all the choices on my door step, although there are many areas I shoot where still feel uneasy about shoving my lens in faces, especially the poorer areas where I live, people have got enough to deal with without me insulting there personal space.

If I am confronted in any way, apart from just respecting someone’s wishes, I find the main avenues of success are dependant on my attitude and demeanour. If I'm both confident, bold and yet also easy and playful, it’s as if my supposed professional goal is infectious. I shoot with art in mind I say and I'll come out with some arty pharty bull and indicate that if I find the shot works artistically I may keep it and exhibit it at some stage, which is just about true…. people often respond to being part of something rather than the feeling of being taken advantage off I find.

I often speak quite loudly to let others no of my intent, in a local market last winter I even had to share a little bottle of JD in everyone’s coffee just to prevent mass revolt, lol, well nearly! but it didn't half work well, ended up feeling obliged to take all the stall holders shots over the next half our ...all the time knowing I was going throw the lot away after I got home.

I think that's a bit unfair. It's not just me and it's not by choice. It's the way things are.

I don't think hes really having a go Tim, more philosophical.

Its only the way things are because the people before us made it that way, ...now its our turn to make a new better way.:thumbs

i wish i could do street stuff, Blackpool is full of errrrm "interesting" people in summer. Is it cheating to use my 100-400?

Plenty would say you need to get closer, but I say, use what you have and call it your version of 'street'. ... the main give away with longer a lens is the telephoto effect, which clearly shouts 'shot at some distance'. So if you really wanna work the supposed street type keep that in mind, although don't miss that lovely telephoto shot either.

It is a confidence thing I think - the more confident you appear the less people will bother about you - although some may even pose for you! If you sneak around they'll be less inclined to co-operate, and be more suspicious of your motives. One technique is after you've taken the shot to look straight past your subject at something in the background - and they'll assume that's what you were shooting and not them - if they even bother. Be bold and appear confident and you'll be fine. You just have to convince yourself!

Might give it a bash tomorrow when I finally head to Glasgow to replace my kit lens :D

I'm a big scaredy-cat too, going to take a lot of bottle.

I took the easy way out and did my first candids in touristy York city :).

Westminster Square

You stand out there if you haven't got a camera.

Thankfully I was blessed by thoroughly good timing on a red bus and got this tourist's wet dream (apart from the snapper in the corner, but can't have your cake and eat it)

3227895147_de4358b3e1.jpg

London and other popular tourist cities are perfect for this sort of thing, to 'ease' yourself in, as you venture out of the center and all the big landmarks you can go where your comfort level allows you.

Did my 1st candid's on Wednesday, in Inverness, well no one really knows me anyway. Went out with one of the other members of the camera club for moral support and had a good laugh. I had some great shots.

I was nervous at first but once my confidence came up I it was good.

i'm not very experienced in street photography, i need to get out there more and do it, as im going to barcelona at the end of april and i wanna at least be able to get some half decent street shots out there

I have not got out of London much so it always tends to be candids in London. Yeah a long lens does help.

Although I am tempted to try something a touch wider. 50mm 1.2 anyone? :D

I agree with several on here, the only street pics ive taken are in London, where no one seems to take any notice of you standing around with a camera, as there are so many tourists that you dont stand out!

Wouldnt try it in my town, might get punched, lol.

Tracy.

Taking street pics is something i never worried about, if i want a pic i take it, i aint bovvered
who's looking. If it's someone in particular and they're close then i ask if they mind, if they
do then obviously i wouldn't take a pic.

But i have had the look, Lol

street.jpg

I honestly can't remember if I did any 'street' stuff back in Southport (home). It wasn't much if I did. Really got stuck into it over here in Melbourne, and a bit in Sydney. I guess it's relatively easy in a big city, especially Melbourne where every second person thinks they're the next famous what's-his-name with a camera.

I generally don't notice if people react badly or otherwise to me taking their picture. It only takes half a second to shoot it, then I'm looking elsewhere. I've never asked anyone's permission.

Only time I've had any bother was with security in Sydney. He was nice about it, and he did have a point, I was inside his bank.

I love taking canidid street shots. There does seem to be a knack to it, and a long lens helps. The further away you are the better.
I started taking mine when i was away in Eastern Europe (Estonia) just sitting outside a cafe having a coffee shooting passers by.

The furthest _away_? I don't think so. The closer, the better.

I had a wee outing in the Highland capital myself today ,it twas blowing a bloody gale :D

Back