studio in a corner.

33L

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
No
Hi All.

first question is it a big no-no for a studio to be in a corner of a room?

My idea is for 2 backdrops (one on each wall) and have them mounted in a way that there is a slight over lap.

the above idea is not going to be hard to arrange, however i dont want to start doing this unless i know i can get good lighting.

for the subject i know the lighting will be okay as not really dependant on the back drop. The back drop on the other hand will be lit by flash guns (till i can afford proper lighting). I have 3 that can be used with optical slaves to trigger but i am thinking 2 will be fine.

the back drops will be roughly 1.5m wide each along each wall if that helps.

The studio I use has a similar arrangement, with a 2.8 wide system on one wall and a narrower one on the other, with a ceiling system for 2 heads and wall mounted brackets for a further 2 heads. It works fine for me. I think this is what you meant, apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick!
EDIT: This is the studio I'm talking about
http://www.studiodecor.co.uk/images/other/studioweb2.jpg

yeah something like that, im glad it wont be too hard to sort out!

Hmmn...
That pantograph arrangement is expensive, doesn't allow for a lot of creativity and requires at least 14' in height...

I get what you're saying Garry, but I actually found it easier than using stands (the first time I used the studio the pantographs were out of use) The prices the supplier for those gave me actually weren't masses more than a set of top notch stands though. (If memory serves lol) The wall brackets I really like though, and no more expensive than normal stands.

i will be using stands for the time being but its more the layout that i wanted to get my head around.

Those backgrounds don't over lap mind you...and it's a chuffing big studio lol

mine is nowhere as big, but then its a project at the moment - may go back to a single wall concept but will have a look over christmas, when i am a bit less hectic.

mine is nowhere as big, but then its a project at the moment - may go back to a single wall concept but will have a look over christmas, when i am a bit less hectic.

Just remember tape measures, drills & lager aren't always a clever mix. Funny yes. But not clever :D

Just out of interest, why were you looking at 2 background sets?

limited space - more length in the diaganal.lighting can be place further away from subject.

If you look at the thread somehere about someone having the studio conversion in the garage - once you have all the lights set up you soon run out of space with tripods everywhere.

i am toying with ideas and comparing them against effieceny (sp), and space to play with. I will have to have test run withsome sheets for scale and how easy it is to light the background and use my wife and other props:p to see what limits i may have. once i know what i can do i can invest into some half decent materials to fit the purpose.

Fair enough, a sensible way to approach it too! What about instead of 2 BG sets, why not one across the corner. Might take some careful mitre cutting of timber to make a stand offs, but you may gain some space, not to mention some space behind the background for storage etc.

what about the join between the floor and backdrop? I know i can edit in post but curious i would like a nice even light on the floor and background with no sudden effects at the join.

Background with a train? Not sure of exactly what you're after lol, these are just ideas I've had in the past!

sorry , just realised what you meant. yeah thats another possability, i think the tape measure, calculator & parcel string (to mark things out) are going to be needed.

justthing ing about it that idea may take up more userble space than the one background on one of the walls.

What about getting an extension built? :D

Back