Studio lighting day sponsored by Lencarta

Lencarta

Advertiser
Name
Harry
Edit My Images
Yes
This post is just to canvas opinion...

We plan to host a sponsored studio training day at my studio in Bradford, it will be held on a Saturday and there will be space for about 8 people. Most of the cost will be covered by Lencarta but the people who attend will have to make a contribution towards the costs.

Now the question...
Would you prefer to pay the lowest possible price (£10?) with the various people attending 'volunteering' to be portrait models...
This is a sensible approach because there are bound to be people with very different looks, who will benefit from being lit in very different ways.

Or would you rather pay more (£30?) and have a professional model so that we can do some artistic nude shots (which can be difficult to light well)...

Personally i would opt for the £30 as its still a good price imho.

md

I would be interested and would pay the £30. I am looking at getting some Lencarta gear later this year so it would be a good chance to test drive the equipment. I've never done any studio/potrait stuff so it would be a steep learning curve.

I would be interested dependant on the date.

Either option would be okay with me, but would prefer the £30 as I've never done any nude/glamour work!

Did he mention the models were guys! :LOL:

Interested, very.....would rather pay the £30 !

I'm paying £90 for a one day lighting workshop at a Studio in Preston in a couple of weeks (6 photographers total). £30 seems an incredible price for a workshop with a professional model.

I'm paying £90 for a one day lighting workshop at a Studio in Preston in a couple of weeks (6 photographers total). £30 seems an incredible price for a workshop with a professional model.

I don't think you're paying too much @ £90 if it's a good workshop, as I pointed out, this one is a Lencarta-sponsored event, designed to help people to move their studio photography onwards and upwards.

Oh, I know I'm not paying too much @ £90. He's a great photographer, and really knows his stuff with lighting setups, so I'm really looking forward to it.

My point was that £30 for such an opportunity is a fantastic price. Having a real model with some experience, that knows how to pose well, will make a huge difference to their speed of learning (vs. random volunteers who may not have done it before). It's a lot easier to learn about the lighting if you're not having to worry about trying to learn how to pose a model at the same time.

Mrs_C and I would go for that, again either option but would prefer the £30 option.

Hi Gary
If there is a place available, would be happy to pay £30.00, as I already use Lencarta lights and would like to use them to there full potential.

I can think of another 3 plus myself that would be happy to pay the £30. You might have to do a couple of days looking at the response. :D

Kev.

I would love to come along to this . please put me on your list. regards colin.
Prefer the £30,00 option.

£30 shot as it would be nice to come away with inspiring shots. Not that anyone on here wouldn't be inspiring but you know what I mean:puke:;) Me please Garry:)

Last edited:
I will be considering buying some Lencarta bits later in the year...and it would also have been great to have tried them first...

Afraid this is a bit far from me...so wont make it...but if its a success...and I hope it is...then maybe a photographer in Scotland will be get the chance to do something similar...

And if they do...my name is in there for #1 place...

Good luck with the shoot...!!!

STEVIER

OK, an update on this so that everyone knows what's happening...
As the first post says, this post is just to canvass opinion, no decisions have been made yet (or at least nothing is carved in stone yet) so, at the moment, the price isn't fixed, the model hasn't been booked and we don't have any dates.

What I can tell you though is that it will happen, there will be a professional model, the cost will be subsidised by Lencarta and that it will be a regular thing, not a one off (making it available to more people and easier for people who can't manage a one off date).

But I don't make the decisions, I only advise, and these things take time to organise anyway. Right now I'm trying to find the right model and finalise dates, course content and various other details.

Once that's done, you will be able to book your place on the Lencarta website. I will update this thread as soon as it's on the website so you might want to use 'Thread tools > instant notification by email' to make sure that you don't miss it - I'm guessing that the places will be taken up quickly.

And finally, this is part of the Lencarta ongoing commitment to help people learn about studio lighting. Although they are subsidising the cost of these events there will be no sales pitch (there won't even be an opportunity to buy there and then) and participation will be open to everyone, whether they have or want to have Lencarta studio equipment or not, and whether they have studio experience or not.

I'd be very interested in this, and would prefer the £30 option.

i may well be interested in this, as long as whoever is running it is very experienced in working in the field..

Hi Garry

We run similar events at out Birmingham studio and I can safely say, 8 people will be to many. We limit student numbers to a maximum of 6. This gives everyone a decent amount of time with the model and minimises the time hanging about.

If you charged £40 for the day per person, this is still exceptional value for money, and you would be able to get a pro model. Using someone not accustomed to modelling (but cheaper) will simply slow things down far to much.

Right, I think we're all there now...

Opinions have been listed listened to, (thanks for that) the model is now booked, everything is now organised and there will be a choice of lighting workshops on portrait/fashion and portrait/artistic nude.

They are available now on the Lencarta website on a first come basis

Hi Gary, just booked for the 3rd April work shop. Many thanks for putting this together and a fare warning I'm a studio virgin :D

I want two places but I am working both days. Can't get either off till Monday so will try then. How many places are there, I am particularly interested I the April date.

I want two places but I am working both days. Can't get either off till Monday so will try then. How many places are there, I am particularly interested I the April date.

There are 8 places available on each day, 6 of them are still available for April

I've booked one of each. I'm sure lots of information will be repeated, but hopefully I will still get something from the second day.
Cheaper than going to see the Boro, and probably much less painful.

Looking forward to this. Cheers Garry.

Thanks Gary, booked the 1st May for portrait and the 5th June for the Art Nude.
Studio newcomer, so looking forward to it (a lot to learn ) !

I can't make the two art nude dates so will have to wait until some more dates are announced. I did think about the 3rd April but being Easter weekend my wife wasn't keen on my disappearing for 3 days.

I'm thinking about booking the 1st May session. I know it says all levels of photographers but will my kit be ok for the day?

Back