studio set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

StaceysStudio

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
Hi there I am setting up studio in one of my spare rooms but not 100% sure what I need. plan on taking Glamour and Portrait photos.
Am I better with a softbox.
Any help will be much appreciated.

S.S

Why not refer to the pages of advice you have been offered already in the Nude and Glamour section? A really useful link was also posted with some great lighting advice and 'GHP' has even provided a number of example pictures. People have spent a lot of their time trying to help.

Before looking at studio lighting, dishes, grids, snoots etc you really need to get the basics down.

Use the advice offered to fully understand the use of natural light i.e. window light. Take a series of images at different apertures, different angles etc to see how the lighting effects the result.

Once you are happy with this introduce flash light - start with basic OCF and a reflector and again play around to see the results - experiment with flash power, distance, bounce etc.

Only really once you are seeing some consistency would I look at studio lighting. Having the lights will not 'make' the photo.... understanding how to use the light will.

I know there are loads of resources on this if you google it but have a look at some of these;

Tutorial on this forum HERE and HERE

Youtube Videos HERE, HERE, HERE ...and many more

Reading this, this and this

Last edited:
Have you already bought or decided on a flash?

Are you thinking strobist or going for studio flash with modelling lights?

What's your budget?

The truth is that you can start with one flash but you'll soon want another one, and some reflectors, and a choice of modifiers, brollies, snoots and softoxes, maybe a beauty dish.
If you know the kind of thing you're hoping to achieve, then this might help you decide what to buy.

You're close to the wind with duplicate accounts though. Maybe it'd be better if Ian and Stacey both only had one name each on their account;)

Have you already bought or decided on a flash?

Are you thinking strobist or going for studio flash with modelling lights?

What's your budget?

The truth is that you can start with one flash but you'll soon want another one, and some reflectors, and a choice of modifiers, brollies, snoots and softoxes, maybe a beauty dish.
If you know the kind of thing you're hoping to achieve, then this might help you decide what to buy.

You're close to the wind with duplicate accounts though. Maybe it'd be better if Ian and Stacey both only had one name each on their account;)

I thought the user name was different.... phew, thought I was going :wacky:

StaceysStudio said:
Hi there I am setting up studio in one of my spare rooms but not 100% sure what I need. plan on taking Glamour and Portrait photos.
Am I better with a softbox.
Any help will be much appreciated.

S.S

Before you spend any money, I'd suggest renting a studio where the owner will give you half an hours tuition on setting and using lights and modifiers. That and maybe a further session practicing will enable you to make a much more informed decision about what you need for your home studio.

I hesitate to go over old ground here but, Ian and Stacey, I learned loads from the replies in your last thread. The information and advice given was of the highest order.

I would urge you to re-read that thread with an open mind.

Lets get this right the user name was changed to start a fresh that was all that changed.
But if you cant forget about it then don't VISIT MY POSTS.
Phil V
You say about lighting and I am here asking what is the best lights to do what I have said.
I don't have a budget.
As said before I only ask for help I don't need all the silly comments.

REMEMBER I AM STARTING A FRESH SO SHOULD YOU BUT IF YOU CANT DON'T VISIT MY POSTS.

S.S

Lets get this right the user name was changed to start a fresh that was all that changed.
Phil V
You say about lighting and I am here asking what is the best lights to do what I have said.
I don't have a budget.

REMEMBER I AM STARTING A FRESH SO SHOULD YOU BUT IF YOU CANT DON'T VISIT MY POSTS.

S.S

If I was you I wouldn't go spending money on things you may or may not want to use or even need. As has been said try hiring a studio for the day and get as much training as you can before you go spending loads of cash.

Ian, going in with all guns blazing like that isn't exactly starting afresh, is it?
If you're not happy with someone's reply then hit the rtm button and let the site staff deal with it.
This has the makings of a good, informative thread, not just for you but for others too, let's hope it matures into one rather than a slanging match. ;)

Phil V
I don't have a budget.

S.S

Great way to start again :shake: Not sure why I / we need to start again... we just tried to offer advice

As per my post it's not about what lights you have, it's about how you use them. Buying a load of kit is not going to help. Have you looked at any of the links i offered about lighting techniques.

Last edited:
Phil V
I don't have a budget.

S.S

right lets draw a line under this now.

You've asked the question already at least once and had it answered. why start another thread asking the same question again?

Ive been running this forum since it started and modding other boards before that, and honestly my spidey-senses have gone off the scale, also my patience threshold is already running on empty, so perhaps having a little bit of consideration for those offering advice might go a bit further than getting annoyed?

I might just book a studio. To see how that goes before I spend money on lights.
And a Canon EOS 5D Mark III and Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II USM.

S.S

matty
Where in my previous post did I ask what lights would be right for what I want to do.
I asked about Camera settings if you recall.

S.S

I might just book a studio. To see how that goes before I spend money on lights.

S.S

Same setup as I've got almost. The cam is awesome you won't go wrong spending you money on it but the cam you have is fine for what you need right now. Don't spend anything until you know for a fact you going to use it or need it.

Nigpd
I have looked at lens and that is by far the best lens for what I am looking for.

S.s

Are you better with a softbox than what?
Yes, a softbox is a useful tool, but it IS just a tool, it isn't a magic solution. Like all tools, there are a host of different ways of using it, and there are of course different sizes, shapes, qualities etc, and they can be used with or without honeycombs - so, although getting a softbox may be a step in the right direction for you, it will only really help once you understand the principles of lighting - as everyone keeps telling you.

A softbox is just one of many tools. I gather from your other threads that you're into stockings. This photo was taken using a beauty dish, which again is a useful tool - once you know how to use it.

legs.jpg

As other people keep telling you, you need to do some reading, and perhaps go on a lighting course. A good one will be money well spent.

Nigpd
I have looked at lens and that is by far the best lens for what I am looking for.

S.s

I wouldn't spend your money on that lens for studio work there are far better lenses out there.

pepi1967
You are right I need to no a lot more before I spend £4,000 on camera and lens. But that is why I am here.
I no some of the photos or most of them have not been that good. But what I hope for is that yous hang in there with me and see how I improve over the year.
I Just asked in this post what lights would be right for what I am looking to achieve.

S.S

Garry Edwards
Yes I no about softboxs and think that would be best for what I want. But will have a look at beauty dish.
And just to keep you right the photo you post the model is wearing TIGHTS not STOCKINGS.

S.S

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/technical-report/1934957/portrait-lenses

Take a look at this before you decide on a lens. Same with lighting it much better to get into a studio environment and actually get one to one tuition. It's not the cheapest way but its going to save you so much money in the long run.

I had a look but still think my lens is much better i want to use the same lens for must things indoors and outdoors so for me I think 70-200 is bang on the money.

S.S

Garry Edwards
Yes I no about softboxs and think that would be best for what I want. But will have a look at beauty dish.
And just to keep you right the photo you post the model is wearing TIGHTS not STOCKINGS.

S.S

OK, stockings, tights - a truly massive difference when it comes to lighting:shake:

Let's try one final attempt at explaining this: One of the few regrets in my life is that I have no musical ability and get far less pleasure from listening to music than most people do.

Now, assuming that you know more about music than I do, which is a reasonable assumption - I would like to ask you a question.

I have decided that I want to be a musician. Specifically, I want to play the piano like Sara Buechner.

Which piano should I buy?

I had a look but still think my lens is much better i want to use the same lens for must things indoors and outdoors so for me I think 70-200 is bang on the money.

S.S

Well like I said don't spend the cash on it until you have been to a studio. You may regret spending the money on that lens. But it's your cash I just don't want you to regret spending it. Photography isn't cheap at the best of times mistakes can be costly.

StaceysStudio said:

S.S

You really don't need anything like that level of kit to get good results under studio lighting. When you have more than enough light available, you can stop down to the "sweet spot" of the most humble kit lens. Fast lenses and FF cameras have their uses in demanding conditions. The studio is probably the least demanding environment you'll ever shoot in.

OK, stockings, tights - a truly massive difference when it comes to lighting:shake:

Let's try one final attempt at explaining this: One of the few regrets in my life is that I have no musical ability and get far less pleasure from listening to music than most people do.

Now, assuming that you know more about music than I do, which is a reasonable assumption - I would like to ask you a question.

I have decided that I want to be a musician. Specifically, I want to play the piano like Sara Buechner.

Which piano should I buy?

One that is in tune.

One that is in tune.

My mate paid 50 quid for an old upright piano from a church. It's perfectly in tune now. Trouble is, he's a terrible player.

My Auntie Peg used to crash out fantastic music from a battered old community hall piano that had never been tuned for years.

I have now been looking at Beauty Dish is it just a dish that fits over the light or is the light part of the dish.
someone help me out. any links would be a help.

S.S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back