studio set up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me introduce myself, I'm just a keen photographer who has been reading and learning from this forum for a while.
This thread has promted me to post, basically the quality of advice here is outstanding but is being totally ignored.
Here is a link to a shot of mine on Flickr they are not the best but it shows my work, I don't want to be seen as a troll (this shot is ok but some stuff on my flikr is nsfw it's glamour)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68248150@N08/8406829222/

Has anyone missed they have a 400D at the moment. That's a huge step up and a big learning curve to a 5D mk3.

Agreed hence my post above. Far more features than they will need or use in the type of photography they are into.

Let me introduce myself, I'm just a keen photographer who has been reading and learning from this forum for a while.
This thread has promted me to post, basically the quality of advice here is outstanding but is being totally ignored.
Here is a link to a shot of mine on Flickr they are not the best but it shows my work, I don't want to be seen as a troll (this shot is ok but some stuff on my flikr is nsfw it's glamour)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68248150@N08/8406829222/
That's lovely.(y)

Thank you very much. Phil
This is what the op is missing I'm learning from all you guys and the information you post. I just can't see how he's not getting it.

Thank you very much. Phil
This is what the op is missing I'm learning from all you guys and the information you post. I just can't see how he's not getting it.

I think it's a case of not wanting to rather than just not.

And if I missed you before welcome to the forum.

I think he's a wind up merchant. At least others are getting the benefit of great info.

THe OP{ needs to rethink and learn how to use the kit he has. Getting a 5D3 and a 70-200 isn't going to help him take better pictures

While this has been very entertaining, I feel the op is just trolling... With the wealth of knowledge given here and the previous thread and still he ignores pretty much all of it.... Not worth feeding him imo.

On behalf of the rest of the forum members though, thank you to all those who have given sound and solid advice that others willing to learn, can pick up and run with :)

Thing is Ian at the end of the day it's your money but don't make the same mistake as a lot of newbie photographers and go and spend thousands on gear have no idea how to use it. all your photos come out looking like crap you get fed up with your lack of progress so give up and sell your gear for pennies.

No point on spending a few grand on the same cam as I have when you won't need or use most of the features it has. The cam won't make your pictures any better. Your choice of lens isn't the best either.

I know you want a lens that cover all you think you will need but that's like using one tool out of a tool bag but wanting to do several jobs with it. You can't paper a wall with a hammer you need a specific tool to do specific jobs.

I'm not saying the lens you want is no good just not really a good choice for what you want to use it for in a studio. Same with the studio lights if you went and got a days training in a studio you may find that what you need isn't what you want.

There are photographers on here that have been taking pictures for 30yrs or more myself included and we are still learning so what your asking to archive by just buying what you think is the right gear and plonking it down and expecting to be David bailey isn't going to happen.

That's like you buying yourself a pair of football boots and expecting to outplay David beckham the first time you wear them. It's not going to happen is it so why do you do the right thing for yourself and go and do a one to one day in a studio or even book yourself on a course.

I have a feeling this post will fall on deaf ears and you will just disregard any and all posts that don't tell you what to buy and that of course is your choice. Like I said its your money do with it as you wish.

Yes all very true but would having the right lights to start with not be a big help. then when i have them I can then work out the best lighting I no some go on about natural lights but I don't have any in the room.

S.S

Yes all very true but would having the right lights to start with not be a big help. then when i have them I can then work out the best lighting I no some go on about natural lights but I don't have any in the room.

S.S

No windows then? take photos in another room

S.S

"Yes all very true but would having the right lights to start with not be a big help."
No, because how do you expect to know what the right lights are?

I think the general consensus Ian, is that there is little point in going out and spending a fair amount of money on kit, which may end up being the wrong kit.
In my opinion it would be a better investment to go on a short, basic studio lighting course, for example.
Doing this first will enable you to find out what all the different lights do, what the many different light modifiers do, and how they are used, so at the end of it you should come away with a definitive "shopping list" of gear which will last you many years.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to studio work. That's fine, none of us did when we first set out.(Except Garry Edwards of course, who was born on Planet Lencarta, and was quickly promoted to God of flashing !).
Seriously, you seem to have an idea of what you want without knowing why you want it.
Take a step back, heed some advice, and learn from the advice given.
I get the fact you don't have much light in the room you intend to use, but there is plenty of light outside ! Go outside, practice using natural light, add a reflector, see what you can do with that first.

But first, start listening to the advice given to you.

Last edited:
StaceysStudio said:
Yes but that lens is not just for studio photos want one lens for outdoors as well and for me that lens has all i need.

S.S

Outdoors?????

I had a look but still think my lens is much better i want to use the same lens for must things indoors and outdoors so for me I think 70-200 is bang on the money.

S.S

I thought you wanted this lens to shoot outdoors?

"Yes all very true but would having the right lights to start with not be a big help."
No, because how do you expect to know what the right lights are?

I think the general consensus Ian, is that there is little point in going out and spending a fair amount of money on kit, which may end up being the wrong kit.
In my opinion it would be a better investment to go on a short, basic studio lighting course, for example.
Doing this first will enable you to find out what all the different lights do, what the many different light modifiers do, and how they are used, so at the end of it you should come away with a definitive "shopping list" of gear which will last you many years.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to studio work. That's fine, none of us did when we first set out.(Except Garry Edwards of course, who was born on Planet Lencarta, and was quickly promoted to God of flashing !).
Seriously, you seem to have an idea of what you want without knowing why you want it.
Take a step back, heed some advice, and learn from the advice given.
I get the fact you don't have much light in the room you intend to use, but there is plenty of light outside ! Go outside, practice using natural light, add a reflector, see what you can do with that first.

But first, start listening to the advice given to you.

Except Garry Edwards of course, that the man that takes photos of Mannequins.

S.S

Dean though the same I think lol.

Oh right sorry I'm getting confused. So you booked your day in a studio yet?

No mate I have not to busy for that. I have a photographer coming to my house to help set up the studio and then when its ready he will come back and show me what I need and then when I have that he will come and help me with taking photos of my wife.

S.S

StaceysStudio said:
Except Garry Edwards of course, that the man that takes photos of Mannequins.

S.S

Ian
I've believed this to be the sticking point from the beginning.

Because of your chosen subject matter, you believe that photography is subject related. So you see test photos of mannequins and you see mannequins. You see photos of girls naked and you see naked, girls in tights and you see tights.
But it's not about the subject, it's about the quality of the light that reflects from the subject.

No matter how many times you point crap light at a stunning subject, you'll get crap pictures. Whereas you can take a stunning photograph of a mundane object, with the right lighting and composition.

I have seen some of his videos shame he cant get a model would rather take photos of Mannequins.

S.S

It's not about what he takes photos of its about how he uses light.

No mate I have not to busy for that. I have a photographer coming to my house to help set up the studio and then when its ready he will come back and show me what I need and then when I have that he will come and help me with taking photos of my wife.

S.S

And how much are you spending on your equipment?

Num Num Num Nu..oh crap I'm out of popcorn! Anyone got some more?

:)

This thread surely is a wind up...................It's not Kirk again is it? lol :bonk:

Toonie

I have seen some of his videos shame he cant get a model would rather take photos of Mannequins.

S.S

Ian/Stacey, you said you wanted a fresh start but you seem to be continuing as before. If you keep this up, there will be a parting of the ways.

Pepi and phil and the rest of you I really do take my hat off to you guys but this is a lost cause.
4 pages of quotes info and excellent advice from every side you can look at lighting and all he can do is take the p*** out of one of the most experienced guys on here reguarding lighting.

Anyone who seeing fit to take the p*** like that is not worth the time or effort of you guys

Pepi and phil and the rest of you I really do take my hat off to you guys but this is a lost cause.
4 pages of quotes info and excellent advice from every side you can look at lighting and all he can do is take the p*** out of one of the most experienced guys on here reguarding lighting.

Anyone who seeing fit to take the p*** like that is not worth the time or effort of you guys

I think you're probably right. the dig at Garry is probably the death knell for any help on here now. I'm not cliquey, but I know who I'd go to if I needed lighting help. And it wouldn't be 'a photographer who's coming to help me take photo's of my wife':eek:, I wish the 3 of them well;)

I think you're probably right. the dig at Garry is probably the death knell for any help on here now. I'm not cliquey, but I know who I'd go to if I needed lighting help. And it wouldn't be 'a photographer who's coming to help me take photo's of my wife':eek:, I wish the 3 of them well;)

I agree everyone has done the best they can I just think he is better off doing it his way. At least then when he gets it wrong he has no one to blame but himself.

You can lead a horse to water etc etc.

Ian/Stacey, you said you wanted a fresh start but you seem to be continuing as before. If you keep this up, there will be a parting of the ways.

Mate I am beyond caring. If we part it is no loss to me. But that is up to you.
But look at how busy this post has been compared to other post ask yourself why is that.

S.S

See you all at the end of the year and then come back and say what a great set of photos take it from me you will all eat your words.

SO GOOD BYE

S.S

See you all at the end of the year and then come back and say what a great set of photos take it from me you will all eat your words.

SO GOOD BYE

S.S

I hope we can I really do but I think you will be a little disappointed. You may think they are perfect but I think you will see others may not share your view. But good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back