Studying Photography (beyond short courses)

Edit My Images
No
Hello,

When looking around this forum, I was unable to find any sub-sections specifically dedicated to studying photography.

Is there such a section – have I just missed this?

When studying photography, I am thinking of Undergrad degrees, Postgrad, Diplomas, Foundation, etc.

From my personal perspective, I am thinking specifically of advice for those who wish to study photography beyond short courses. I have done a few of these, and am looking to develop things further from there.

I have been frustrated by the apparent lack of options available, probably created as a result of a lack of information available to help find suitable courses.

I think that I am essentially looking for some sort of course to provide a more thorough grounding in the nuts and bolts of photography. I am thinking ideally of a grounding in analogue and digital aspects. This might mean that a foundation course is most useful, perhaps?

I would ideally like this to be a progression, with the possibility of getting qualifications as something to work towards.

I am aware that this can be quite a broad question, with lots of ‘well, it depends on what you’re looking for’ aspects – but I suppose there could be general aspects here. This might include key aspects to look out for with a course, pitfalls to avoid.

I am looking at particular schools/ colleges that might be excellent for studying, and would relocate to do this. I would certainly welcome any advice based on personal experience. Geographically, I had thought of London, but would consider anywhere in UK/ Europe.

I am aware that this is a big area, so this post is a balance between going into sufficient detail to provide an idea of what I’m trying to convey whilst, being aware that I am only scratching the surface with this – especially given the myriad of courses!

If there is not a section here covering this, then would it be a good idea to create one – would other people also find this useful?

If not, then any input on this thread would be greatly appreciated.

I would of course be happy to clarify any aspects of this opening post if required.

Thanks!

I think the first thing is, what are your aspirations? Is it purely educational or with a career path in mind?

I hope that the 2 aren't mutually exclusive!

I already have a portfolio, have constructed an artistic statement of intent - both for a course that I eventually decided was unsuitable.

The course was to artistically stimulate those already having the technical grounding.

I really want to develop further my technical grounding, as I read and hear about so much that I want to know more about and therefore learn.

The short answer to your question is that I would ideally like it to have a career path - but if that does not work out then I will still have the grounding to enjoy more fully something that I would still choose to do in my spare time.

Or, more succinctly - has anyone done a foundation/ diploma etc that they really thought was excellent - or even perhaps can recommend particular places based on word-of-mouth..?

I'm thinking that someone here must have recently done this, or be currently doing this?

They do sound interesting - thanks for that!

The online aspect sound useful to resolve location issues, and also provides flexibility where job/ family commitments are a major issue.

I guess that I am wondering about hands-on, vocational elements - being in a darkroom, actually having access to photographic equipment to try things - face-to-face aspects.

In my limited exposure to this with photography, I have had good and bad experiences with this, hence the starting of this thread to look for advice.

Trying to avoid pitfalls with choosing a course, recommendations of good places - any relaying of experiences in these areas would be a huge help.

I am both Old and Cynical.

When I went to College in the 50's to study Photography, I found that half of us knew Just about every thing technical that we were to be taught already. The other half never did learn.

Photography is more of an addiction than a vocation and as many amateurs know and understand the technical side as do professionals.

I recently went to a photography degree show. The technical standard was abysmal and the Artistic worse. They had clearly been taught to be "Conceptual" but with no redeeming features. ( quality in any sense was a dirty word , and technique totally absent) I am sure this can not be true of all degree courses but I would not sign up for one unless I had seen the last degree show, and also seen the post-placement records of past students. I would estimate that this current crop were unemployable.

The most worth while and respected qualifications awarded to photographers are those given by peer groups. such as the RPS and the various professions bodies. No one cares what you read for your degree ... if it is a First... better still.

If I were starting again I would do a Business Degree with marketing.
I would study Photography in my own time.

If you look at the backgrounds of successful Photographers a majority have come from other fields that have given them the business experience, and people skills.
I no longer believe that You can teach people how to take interesting and well composed photographs. That comes from an inbuilt desire, the ability to see, and many hours of hard work, and exhibition time.

I will concede that university gives time to experiment in an stimulating atmosphere and opportunities to expand your horizons visually. However this atmosphere is available for any course of study, and most have a far better "Pay back"

If you want to Teach.. You have little option ... Photographic Degree... MA... Teaching Diploma. And forget about professional photography.

I second what Terry has just said, with a first hand expierience of the exact situation he has described. Last year I started a Btec diploma in photography at a local college and although it wasn't completly useless individual motivation is the only tool which allowed me to progress as a photographer.

The basic level of teaching, could insult a passionate amateur photographer, it become more worthwhile leaving college to photograph than to go in and learn.
I know that each college is different and the lecturers I had did try however the groups intrest determined the lackluster approach.

I had enough and applied for Uni after the first year and got accepted based on the strength of portfolio and knowledge, this which I did not know was possible is an available option to anyone over 21... I don't know how deep your interest is into the masters and the way to approach essays etc... but this could be an option for you.

Good luck, I cant wait for university now and hope this isn't a repeated process, unfortunatly I know it could be, and probably will be but then that is what sets photographs apart. The people who want to live photography, and the ones who like photography for the fashionable appearance.

Back