stupid expressions

That was going to be my next pet hate. When people use terms and end up being both tautologous and solecistic. When it is one or the other it's fine but both at the same time really riles me.

I don't deny that I'm a pedantic pretentious ****, it should be counted as a disability in my opinion.

"Lessons will be learned" :bang:

Yes, that's a classic monotonously trotted out by those duds in parliament who are in receipt of salaries of a magnitude large enough for any reasonable person to expect they should know what decisions to make so as to avoid having to learn by their endless mistakes.

'Can I get' when asking for something in a shop......yes get out of my ****ing shop!

A personal favourite - 'and you're surprised.....because?

i think 'thinking outside the box' comes from the logic puzzle where you have a 3X3 grid and have to cover all the dots with only 4 continuous straight lines

'Buzzword Bingo', I loved doing it :)
Blue Sky Thinking
No Sacred Cows
etc.
I'm currently being annoyed by my pet hate, anthropomorphisms, or as Terry Pratchett describes them, misanthropomorphisms. Flog It!.......where does your vase live? Erm, it's inanimate, it doesn't live at all.

No sacred cows? Not heard that one yet....

oops postred the wrong links... meant to include Joe's "tautologous" and "londonHeadshots" one from earlier.... :bang:

I do hope that you will not object should I offer you both my most enthusiastic contrafribblarities for they are common words down our way.*

*Blackadder...

There's a few that annoy me... company I used to work for.. had this thing called "World Class Leadership"... yes pick yourself up off the floor from laughing....

Coming back from holiday once to a team of 0 (having left with a team of 18).. I got dragged into an office by my boss and the head of.... whose opening gambit was "Lynton, we don't think you are a world class leader, what do you say to that?"

then the classic, mouth works, brain doesn't....

"F*** me, what a coincidence because that's 3 non-world class leaders in this room then...."

and then, they had to ask, who I did class as a world class leader... and sat there gobsmacked as I batted about 20 off the top of my head from both
business and people leaders...

How I miss that place!!!

Last edited:
'Can I get' when asking for something in a shop......yes get out of my ****ing shop!

This is an Americanism, and along these lines I also find it irritating when they answer a question containing "have" with an answer containing "do". As in "Have you got a car?" "Yes, I do".

"New and Improved Original flavour".....What? Eh? If it's new, and it's improved, then how the hell can it be ORIGINAL?????

Forbiddenbiker said:
Starting a point with '...at the end of the day' ...eh, why today, what about tomorrow?

When I worked in a pub back at home, we had a book running on one of the regulars, for how many times he would say:

At the end of the day..
When push comes to shove..
You can't turn around to me and say...

He would sometimes rattle off a straight flush, all three consecutively.

Annoying one since moving over here is Queenslanders who insist on moving the word 'but' from the beginning, to the end, of every sentence.

"I would rather do it this way, but".

But, what?

People who use "Yes, no" in the same sentence...mid conversation...

"yeah, yeah, No, I mean..."

And of course, there is the ubiquitous "lol", which is ok in itself (<--there's one, "in itself"...;) ) but then they even go to making it a verb. "I Lolled". What? You "laughed out louded"???

And then there's the people who use a PIN Number for their bank cards! A PIN is a "Personal Identification Number", so a PIN Number is a "Personal Identification Number Number".

Reminds me of the patient who was at the therapists. He had a complex, but it was not a simple one. It was a complex complex.
His complex complex was about those built up areas where there are several dwellings together, you know, a complex. So he had a complex complex complex. But of course, the complexes in question were built in a very strange and difficult way...yes, they were complex complexes, and so the man had a complex complex complex complex!. Unbelievable were it true!

Back in the day.....that one annoys me at the moment

When Australians cannot make a statement without the word 'look' preceding it.........

or even worse 'ahhhh look'.

Last edited:
Back in the day.....that one annoys me at the moment

To me, that one depends on how old the person saying it is...........

I think when you get to your 30s and older you can be excused for using it.

But when I hear 18 years olds say "back in the day" I can't help just thinking "SERIOUSLY!!!".

About 8 years ago I was in a club, I was 28 and I'd say the average age in there was about 19! Yes I felt old :LOL:

The DJ announced "Now we're going to play some old skool now"............

No old skool to me is "rave" music from the late 80s to mid 90s, what he played was "speed garage" from 1999/2000 which was only 4 years old at the time :LOL:

While I think of it, some more expressions that I can't stand......

"Happy Days"

"Good/Bad times"

When I worked in a pub back at home, we had a book running on one of the regulars, for how many times he would say:

At the end of the day..
When push comes to shove..
You can't turn around to me and say...

He would sometimes rattle off a straight flush, all three consecutively.

yeah I once had a boss like that - when negotiating he'd say stuff like

" at the end of the day, when the chips are down, and all's said and done, at the bottom line , theres really nothing more to say " (well shut the **** up then)

whatever opinion you may have on anything, my mate always responds with... "no, what it is is..." and then proceeds to tell you what your opinion should have been :bang:

if he comes to our house me and the missus always give each other a knowing look when he does it. In fact, it's become a bit of a game to see who can be the first to prise one out of him :LOL:

I hate it when youths say "init" which means "isn't it".

It's fine when they say it and "isn't it" fits like:

"That's my coat init"

but it's when they say something like:

"I love football, init" or some other sentence where saying "isn't it" at the end makes no sense whatsoever - I want to punch them in the face

Not read all posts so forgive me if i'm repeating anyone but "At the end of the day" always makes me switch off because I expect some Jeremy Kyle worthy drivel to follow.

My Nanna finishes an alarming number of sentences with "and what not". I don't know what that's supposed to mean!

Last edited:

"That's my coat init"

"I love football, init" or some other sentence where saying "isn't it" at the end makes no sense whatsoever - I want to punch them in the face

There's a bit of a Welsh thing that is similar, where the sentence is ended with the words "Is it?" in a liliting Welsh accent.

No sacred cows? Not heard that one yet....

Nothing is to be deemed as beyond consideration for changing or axing regardless of tradition.

We, the shop-floor technical operators, would also try to write emails to the management, with points to the one who could include all of this months buzzwords. It had to be readable, with extra points if it didn't actually say anything ;)

"That's my coat init"

I worked with a 47 year old woman who put innit at the end of sentence, found it really annoying.

"That's my coat init"

Look up the derivation of 'innit' from the Hindi 'haina', which should explain it.

There's also a source from Welsh, where 'isn't it' is/was used as an interrogative tag.

Not necessarily a phrase or saying, but I get more and more annoyed by the kids at school wanting to borrow a pencil...as in "Sir, can I lend a pencil?" to which I reply, "Of course you can, to whom would you like to lend it?". The usual response, once they realise they must use the word "Borrow" is the phrase..."Ok, Sir, can you borrow me a pencil?", to whcih I would usually reply, "Of course, who shall I borrow it from?".

Definitely winds them up! ;)

Coming a close second is the phrase "I should of done..." instead of "I should have done...". Grrrr!

Since moving to the north I've had to get used to things like that, along with many others.

Another common one around here is "I'm working 9 while 5"... oh you mean from 9 until 5!
Rumour has it that they had to change the signs as level crossings because they said "don't cross while lights are flashing", which is taken here to mean "don't cross until lights are flashing" :eek::eek:

Since moving to the north I've had to get used to things like that, along with many others.

Another common one around here is "I'm working 9 while 5"... oh you mean from 9 until 5!
Rumour has it that they had to change the signs as level crossings because they said "don't cross while lights are flashing", which is taken here to mean "don't cross until lights are flashing" :eek::eek:

Which leads me to the Americanism, "Working 9 through 5"...if you work through 5, what time do you stop?

And the lack of an "of", as in "Here are a couple pictures I made" (which is invariabley the title of a forum thread with at least 3 images in it!)

Look up the derivation of 'innit' from the Hindi 'haina', which should explain it.

There's also a source from Welsh, where 'isn't it' is/was used as an interrogative tag.

I really don't think the people I know from Medway and North Kent that use "innit" do it because of the Hindi "Haina". More that they're too lazy to say "isn't it". Not everything is as clever as you think ;)

ie Innit a nice day out there

I really don't think the people I know from Medway and North Kent that use "innit" do it because of the Hindi "Haina". More that they're too lazy to say "isn't it". Not everything is as clever as you think

ie Innit a nice day out there

Yup I agree. Innit has always been used as a contraction of isn't it etc, but it's use as a tag is relatively recent (last 50 years or so); which is the part of speech that Joe was referring to. The contraction isn't new, but it's usage is. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I see what you mean.

I guess you mean 'hai na'

Ok, so it makes a bit more sense, but it doesn't stop it really annoying me! :LOL:

I have a colleague at work who is guaranteed to say at some point in a meeting "Well, that raises the old chesnut of..."

Someone else I knows loves the work "unbeknownst". He seems to throw it into every sentence if he has the chance.

'I was sat/stood...'

Really bugs me, more and more people are saying it these days.

Also, not an expression but annoys me just the same: people who think then is the same as than!

'more then... less then...'

Grinds my gears!!

I guess you mean 'hai na'

Ok, so it makes a bit more sense, but it doesn't stop it really annoying me! :LOL:

Same here. Doesn't matter if things have a logical explanation, they are still annoying :D

The use of "somethink / somefink" instead of something drives me insane.
I don't care what region you're from, or what accent you possess, it's sheer lazyness to speak that way.

Same here. Doesn't matter if things have a logical explanation, they are still annoying :D

also from what i can gather the hindi version is about making sure someone knows what you mean, a bit like saying "know what I mean"

or turning what they said into a question:

"He did that last night, haina?" means "Did he do that last night?"

but the youths here say it on a statement

"I like football, innit" - wtf? where is the question in that?

don't forget the "bruv" on the end of that :LOL::LOL:

Not that these two expressions annoy me, just don't make sense

When me or my Mum are cold, my Dad will say "you've got the blood of a turnip" or if we're tired, we say "We're not going to make old bones tonight"

Back