stupid expressions

Haha, my son does that. He also says things like "can I stay Cams?" which I think means can he stay at Cams - one of his friends.

I always tell him to ask or text me when he's figured out the password, ie the missing word. He thinks it's funny, I think it's sad.

He texts me with things like kk, which I believe means ok and I ignore that until we reach an affirmative response we all understand!

I love winding him up, it's such fun :D

Another one in the similar vien is the impropper use of like

" It like i was going to the shops an'that, and there was like this chick, and she was like well fit...."

She was either 'well fit' (and there's another one ) or she wasn't , its not 'like' anything

Also the use of chick, babe, baby momma, shortie, bitch etc when they mean girl/woman /lady winds me the hell up

I asked my mate once why he always replied with kk instead of ok

He said it was easier to type

:bang::bang::bang:

it's still 2 letters and the o is by the k (on his Qwerty keyboard on his phone that is)

Or am I missing the point?

it's still 2 letters and the o is by the k (on his Qwerty keyboard on his phone that is)

Haha, I get exactly the same. I really don't get it. :shrug:

A few random ones:

people who say litmus test when they mean acid test

People who have an agenda

Sad little beer bores who witter on about generic beer or generic lager

The over use of learning curve and learning experience

The use of amount when the correct word is number

Misuse of less / fewer

Misuse of of myself, eg myself and Rob went to the match.

The phrase "pre order" that's complete nonsense, it's either an order or it's not.

Last edited:
Misuse of less / fewer

I avoid the "10 Items or Less" aise at supermarkets out of sheer annoyance! It should be the "10 Items or Fewer" aisle. One day I'll crack, and I'll be arrested in Tesco for changing all their signs with a marker pen!

Another one in the similar vien is the impropper use of like

" It like i was going to the shops an'that, and there was like this chick, and she was like well fit...."

She was either 'well fit' (and there's another one ) or she wasn't , its not 'like' anything

Also the use of chick, babe, baby momma, shortie, bitch etc when they mean girl/woman /lady winds me the hell up

Not forgetting of course, the replacement of "said", ie:

"I said"

"I was like"

:bang:

'Buzzword Bingo', I loved doing it :)
Blue Sky Thinking
No Sacred Cows
etc.
I'm currently being annoyed by my pet hate, anthropomorphisms, or as Terry Pratchett describes them, misanthropomorphisms. Flog It!.......where does your vase live? Erm, it's inanimate, it doesn't live at all.

I'm quite guilty of this. Just said it in a pm and thought :bonk:

yes, becuase it actually stands for ok cool ...or in slang spelt, ok kool.

Its like, well kk is quicker init. :D

Last edited:
Ah kk

I hear you bruv :D

When I worked in a pub back at home, we had a book running on one of the regulars, for how many times he would say:

At the end of the day..
When push comes to shove..
You can't turn around to me and say...

He would sometimes rattle off a straight flush, all three consecutively.

lol .Totally off topic but this has reminded me of a mate who just couldn't stop swearing during conversation ...I counted once, and when hed finished yapping. I shamefully admit I said 'did you know you said F##^#^ing 76 times. .. It didn't go down well ...you $%#$ c%$##% nt %$$&*&*^!!! :cautious:

---
small lol is just a giggle /chuckle right? LOL is laughing out loud .

lol .Totally off topic but this has reminded me of a mate who just couldn't stop swearing during conversation ...I counted once, and when hed finished yapping. I shamefully admit I said 'did you know you said F##^#^ing 76 times. .. It didn't go down well ...you $%#$ c%$##% nt %$$&*&*^!!! :cautious:

---
small lol is just a giggle /chuckle right? LOL is laughing out loud .

When I used to smoke, I was often in the smoking hut at work with a guy who would say "****ing" continuously and not for emphasis either. Things like "I love a roast ****ing beef for sunday ****ing dinner".

You can't turn around to me and say...

That reminds me of the "turning round" thing. I listened to a conversation between a couple of my young teenage girl friends which went along the lines of "I said to her.......and she turned round and said.......so I turned round and said.....then she turned round and said......."

I said to her [without turning round] you must have become quite dizzy. So she [turned round and] said "What do you mean?" My answer produced the standard teenage roll of eyes.

More Americanisms:

When they one hundred fifteen instead of one hundred and fifteen.

When they say "write me" instead of "write to me"

When they say math instead of maths.

i hate

my bad [get a life you aint a gangsta]

nifty fifty [grow up you aint a kid]

gripped [pathetic,its a battery holder not some status symbol]

When I used to smoke, I was often in the smoking hut at work with a guy who would say "****ing" continuously and not for emphasis either. Things like "I love a roast ****ing beef for sunday ****ing dinner".

i remember we were on a christmas bash one year for work, about 20 of us round a table in a restaurant and everyone was having a giggle but there were a few swear words kicking around... then this guy (who literally couldn't string a sentence together without an 'f' word in it) said... 'listen everyone, keep the language down a bit, there's ****ing kids over there"

and i kid you not... he didn't even know he'd said it :LOL:

Look up the derivation of 'innit' from the Hindi 'haina', which should explain it.

There's also a source from Welsh, where 'isn't it' is/was used as an interrogative tag.

If every sentence doesn't contain at least one "de" or "ynde" you're not talking to a true native Welshman. It also replaces the irritating American "so like" that's repeated multiple times per sentence.

You've also never spoken to a true Cofi unless you've been greeted with "Iawn Gont"

"Its too cold for Snow" annoys me.
How can it be too cold for snow in the UK?

I was down in kent once when some ole dear came up to me and asked: dew yar fa' ki' a dicker, bor? Turned out she was from North Norfolk and thought I was too. Being from a neighbouring county, there are few things we say similar, but didn't have a clue what she was on about. Some sort of code Norfolk folk use when meeting others from outside their own county. Strangely, I came accross it again when featured on a program a few weeks ago with Ade Edmundson, means does your dad keep a donkey...Strange.

I was down in kent once when some ole dear came up to me and asked: dew yar fa' ki' a dicker, bor? Turned out she was from North Norfolk and thought I was too. Being from a neighbouring county, there are few things we say similar, but didn't have a clue what she was on about. Some sort of code Norfolk folk use when meeting others from outside their own county. Strangely, I came accross it again when featured on a program a few weeks ago with Ade Edmundson, means does your dad keep a donkey...Strange.

The correct Norfolk response to this.. is "Yes, an he wan a fool to ride him, will yew come?"

I believe it goes back centuries and was a way of identifying if a stranger was "from around these 'hare' parts.."

I thought it may have been similar to Welshman and their sheep, if you get what I mean.:cautious: ;)

i do get what you mean.........

i remember we were on a christmas bash one year for work, about 20 of us round a table in a restaurant and everyone was having a giggle but there were a few swear words kicking around... then this guy (who literally couldn't string a sentence together without an 'f' word in it) said... 'listen everyone, keep the language down a bit, there's ****ing kids over there"

and i kid you not... he didn't even know he'd said it :LOL:

:LOL::LOL:

Back