'#/$ stupid HMRC!

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
So my self-assessment payment was due on 1st August so diligently made an online immediate bank payment on 30th July - noticed on my bank statement today that it hadn't gone through!
Go to my online bank and see it marked as 'Failed' due to incorrect sort code ... whoops, do it again double checking all the digits ... 'Failed' due to incorrect sort code.
Ring up HMRC (really, really irritating "press button"/"choose"/"we love you" garbage until someone eventually answers) ... apparently it's my bank's mistake.
Ring up bank (similar irritating garbage) ... HMRC won't accept immediate payments ... didn't tell anyone, just won't allow it!

Now I feel like saying to HMRC, "sorry I don't do 3-day payments" ... :wave:

I'm really sick and tired of these faceless bureaucratic toads who do whatever they like but pounce on the public for the slightest reason.

Anyway that's my Friday rant! :annoyed:

Hey, they sent me a demand for 14p and a threat to charge me interest if I don't pay up! I'm trying to think of the most creative way I can to sent them 14p...

Hey, they sent me a demand for 14p and a threat to charge me interest if I don't pay up! I'm trying to think of the most creative way I can to sent them 14p...

Used to work in the Accounts dept of a company a long long time ago (large insurer, used to have the City of Norfolk in it's name, now a 5 letter Palindrome) ;) and people in their expenses team at year end would do some sort of process to credit debit company car users.... (never did get involved with it and know no more about it)

However, one guy did get asked for 4p back one year, and the 4p duly arrived with a hole drilled through each penny, and then nailed to 2 short planks of wood, in a big box filled with though polystyrene things that resemble wotsits.

Just an idea;)

14p! If only - when I think of the gear I could be buying :(

So my self-assessment payment was due on 1st August so diligently made an online immediate bank payment on 30th July - noticed on my bank statement today that it hadn't gone through!
Go to my online bank and see it marked as 'Failed' due to incorrect sort code ... whoops, do it again double checking all the digits ... 'Failed' due to incorrect sort code.
Ring up HMRC (really, really irritating "press button"/"choose"/"we love you" garbage until someone eventually answers) ... apparently it's my bank's mistake.
Ring up bank (similar irritating garbage) ... HMRC won't accept immediate payments ... didn't tell anyone, just won't allow it!

Now I feel like saying to HMRC, "sorry I don't do 3-day payments" ... :wave:

I'm really sick and tired of these faceless bureaucratic toads who do whatever they like but pounce on the public for the slightest reason.

Anyway that's my Friday rant! :annoyed:

How come you get an extra day??
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/payinghmrc/selfassessment.htm

Paying Self Assessment by internet or telephone banking

You can use your bank/building society services to pay by internet or telephone banking. To make the payment you will need the HMRC bank account details given below and your Self Assessment reference number, also referred to as your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR).

If you don't have access to internet or telephone banking but wish to make a transfer by other means, your bank may accept telephone, fax or written instructions.

If you pay using any of these methods, your bank will transfer your money direct to HMRC's bank account.

It normally takes three bank working days for payment to reach HMRC. Bank working days are Monday to Friday excluding bank holidays. Some banks and building societies can take longer. You should check with your bank or building society to see how long they take to transfer payment and what their cut-off time is for initiating payment. If they take longer then you will need to initiate your payment earlier.

Note: HMRC is unable to make or receive payments using the Faster Payment Service.

Heh heh that's the attitude!

For my case I'm thinking cheque, stapled to death and a request for a receipt.

Note: HMRC is unable to make or receive payments using the Faster Payment Service.
It's the same for VAT payments. It used to be the case that you could send a payment on about the 5th or 6th of the month following the month end - as they allow up to 7 days grace. But they stopped using FasterPay and now I have to pay the VAT around the 1st of the month. I first found out about them ceasing to use FasterPay when I received a snottagram and a £200 fine for late payment. Some poor bloke received some abuse on the phone and reversed the 'fine'.

I don't understand how the OPs payment failed. FasterPay works when both the sending and receiving banks use it. Otherwise the transaction reverts back to the 3/4 day BACS transfer. I don't see how it can just be cancelled. :shrug:

I don't understand how the OPs payment failed. FasterPay works when both the sending and receiving banks use it. Otherwise the transaction reverts back to the 3/4 day BACS transfer. I don't see how it can just be cancelled. :shrug:

Apparently not, if I elect immediate payment and it can't be accepted it fails.
It really irks me that this 'servant of the people' fails to serve the people!

Apparently not, if I elect immediate payment and it can't be accepted it fails.
Which bank are you with?

A more meaningful message, rather than 'incorrect sort code', might have been useful.

Specifically 'FPS Sort Code' which I now take to mean they don't have a faster payment service so the sort code is rejected.

However, one guy did get asked for 4p back one year, and the 4p duly arrived with a hole drilled through each penny, and then nailed to 2 short planks of wood, in a big box filled with though polystyrene things that resemble wotsits.

:'D

I had a letter about 2 years ago saying I owed a £1, ignored it. The next year one to say I now owe £2.
Just going to wait and see how long it goes on for.

There used to be a tale of someone who got a bill for £0.00 and was hounded for non-payment so eventually sent them a cheque fo the full amount, after which tyhe demands ceased.

FTR and coincidentally, my Wife had a confirmation of a bank transfer repayment this morning. Not a fortune but at least she got the overpayment refunded.

I've been sent a self assessment form because I sold my late fathers house and they need to decide if I owe CGT as it went for more than the agreed probate valuation. Having looked at the forms and the guide notes they provided, my head now hurts. The wording is so over my head it must be orbiting the earth. :(

Tell them you've checked the forms and decided you don't want to join :D

I got a letter one year stating that now I was PAYE only I didn't have to complete a tax return any more... sure enough I got a letter and a fine for £100 the following year because I hadn't completed one. Took ages to get through to someone who could be arsed to listen to me and even then they implied that they were doing me a favour by "we have decided to not uphold the fine this time" !

Un-#######-believable !

Send them it all in 1p coins tightly wrapped up in sellotape.:D

Di

Even better, get a sheet of acrylic, melt it down and pour it into a mould with 14p inside :)

Now that's an idea!

i think theyre great, they just sent me a cheque for £1009 :D

essexash said:
i think theyre great, they just sent me a cheque for £1009 :D

Wait till they send you a letter demanding £1010 back....

OI! NO CHEATING THE SWEAR FILTER! Sorry, the nice people at HMRC did it to me last year, said i over paid and sent me a cheque for 1154.

I got a letter this year saying that i still owe them 1155 as i was short last year!

Last edited:
If the bank returns your cheque marked "Insufficient Funds,"
you call them and ask if they meant you or them.

Back