Stu's Hare thread

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
I've got a bit of a fascination with these magical animals,we are very fortunate in having several locations to visit. At present most of these images will be taken with a canon 550D and a canon 300f2.8 is,sometimes with a 2Xextender iii. Constructive critique is welcome, I want to learn. some of these images just make me smile,i'm sure they have faults and if I haven't picked up on them you guys will..... that's cool.

I really think i'd like to have them together and to add to this when I get the chance, Just days back I made a point of visiting a spot we know well,in no small part inspired by a picture shown here,cheers Dave!! I think we might have got a bit lucky,lovely light and leverets and adults on 3 sides. They knew we were there no hiding scent when one is almost surrounded,but we had a wonderful experience and even if I'm only learning da ropes it's fun to share.

Chillin:,I actually like the blurred supersized foot,not completely intentional,i'll hold my hands up there SS too slow, but hey the guy was caught having a scratch while finishing his tea,what can I say

IMG_5166 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

seeya

Stu

Hi Stu - here are my thoughts.

I like the pose - the grass stalk in the mouth enhances the image for me. We all have those moments where you just HAVE to scratch ;)

Looking at the EXIF data on Flickr I would suggest that you have too small an aperture (F9) and that your shutter speed is too slow at 1/200th.

Ideally you could have increased shutter speed and brought the aperture down to 6.3 or 7.1 without affecting ISO - even wide open at 5.6 may have been ok (not sure if your lens / converter benefit from stopping down a bit?)

A faster shutter speed would have reduced movement from you wobbling and from the subject. I am sure the subject would have been sharper if the shutter had been faster.

I would suggest setting a shutter speed of at least 1/800th (much higher if light allows) and an aperture that you are happy with for your lens / converter (6.3 or 7.1?).

Don't want this to sound too negative - just trying to help you get the most sharpness from your setup :)

Dave.

Edit - just looked at your other Hare pics on Flickr - some good shots :)
I would still recommend around 1/1250th or 1/1600th minimum shutter speed for moving hares. I know that is not easy as the ISO goes up and up :(

Last edited:
Hey Dave nowt negative for me at all there buddy,a great helpful post is all I see,so straight from the hip cheers bro thanks for taking the time to help me out :facepalm:!!

I can see sense in exactly what you have said Dave every bit of it. I was shooting with the extender for a while and then took it off,later on,naturally that's when the red kite flew over:banana:, The f/9 was deliberate,I was experimenting with depth of field plus exactly as you have said trying to work out if the combo benefited from stopping down.Dave I feel something isn't quite right with the extender lens camera combo. Being at this stage of "know nothing" doesn't help me much Dave I'm not up to speed as of yet on how DOF translates to real world senarios and so in part was trying to teach myself about that and experimenting, while I had such a wonderful chance,I took a goodly few pics mate. I got seriously caught out regularly buddy, as always huh:D! The other part I was trying to evaluate was just what might happen if I stuck to an iso no higher than 800:i've gone to 3200 quite regularly to get that shutter speed up,but the noise oft bothers me :( . So basically while shooting in manual with beasties all ways I was mucking about trying to learn and later evaluate all this and how what I had done would translate re the images. So your thoughts are really useful to me in that evaluation process.

I love the pose and the blade of grass,but concur with everything you have said above,which is also really helpful. We believe my sharpest shot was actually at f5.6 but again at ss of 320 I think I just got lucky simple as,ss again too low. I just didn't want to ramp the iso,which obviously was my failing,which in many ways is a shame given that pose,but the big picture is also at play. Making mistakes and having folks evaluate, plus one's own critical thoughts helps next time. So although the image isn't sharp enough and in some ways I'm kicking myself for not nailing it,I'm viewing this as very positive experience, and am learning from it. I'd also say that I really should have bumped the iso,even though I was fixated on trying to keep it lower.I'd probably have learnt more that way by comparison. Ahh mate it's so hard for me to really think tog wise when the magic is happening,as I said to you on your thread I get too wrapped up in the moment,it's a big failing of mine. There are times when I think I'll never make being a wildlife tog, because of the joy of spending time with beasties,Hopefully one day the two might meet,ha but they are not yet.,what can I say Dave,i'm having fun and slowly, ok very slowly,the incremental notching upwards is happening as I learn the ropes.

Cheers on the kind words on the flickr, Ha, yup, you got what we thought was the sharp one,so there ya go,tis all good

Properly appreciate the time taken to help Dave it would have been lovely to nail the whole shebang that afternoon,but the graft goes first and with it the mistakes,mind if the whole lot goes with joy it ain't so bad

thanks so much

Stu

Cannot add critique but do like it and can see your fascination

Stu - if it was easy and we got everything we wanted first time out then we would be bored and give up after a few weeks ;) it's the challenge that keeps us coming back for more.

I would recommend going to a place that has lots of chances for taking photos - seagulls are great :) much easier to experiment when you have frequent subjects. Although it looks like the Hares weren't shy ;)

I learned a lot photographing Herons on a local reservoir - my early Flickr feed is full of Heron photos :) It gave me a good insight into the gear I was using and what settings I needed.

Keep at it :)

Dave.

Lads sorry for being slow,I utterly appreciate the replies..... I must not of hit submit again,i'm mental busy at the moment.

Adam,do you mind me asking why you don't feel you can critique this picture? Buddy if in anyway this is because you are learning like me,then don't worry about that mate,if it is because you are worried about being negative,don't be. Bro this is my hobby,thoughtful critique from even a layman might be useful to me and I think running a constructive but critical eye over an image is a good way of learning for you and I can share that learning with you. Adam I am possibly the most laid back guy you'll meet,somebody would have to really push me into a corner to get even the slightest rise from me. So don't worry about any forum BS with me kiddo life is too ruddy short for that,I'm up for having a crack with ya mate,and learning hard while we do it Mr Dave , I think made some real constructive points above,but (hope you don't mind Dave) even he mentioned negativity,all I could see were some real constructive thoughts,as he tried to help me get higher quality in my images.

James thank you mate,that's very kind I love the pose too,it's not the typical hare shot I guess,ha I'll show some of those when time allows. I would have liked to somehow keep the blur in the foot,but notched that sharpness up a goodly bit on the rest of the hare pictured,if that is possible which i'm sure it can be with more experience and exactly the right SS.

Dave ha AMEN to your first paragraph!! I utterly concur,love learning something mate have no airs and braces:banana: to worry on,I think the journey is as important as the end result. We are not all going to be the next great wildlife tog,but trying to be the best one can be,is no bad thing dude,striving for that with ups and downs is cool to me

HEHE I got a new camera,happy days,long time saving,haven't a ruddy clue how to work it,it makes these brrrrr noises and takes lots of pics very fast:cool:. I want to play now,but work to be done ok playing with frogs isn't so bad:)

Dave your recommendations are taken on board,to a certain extent already in hand,I can show you a couple or three black headed gull shots as proof,but won't. I read somewhere about a very very good wildlife tog,the story revolved around him shooting some silly number of gull shots a day until he got there,good teachers methinks,not only slow enough to get actually in frame as a BIF shoot for a lesser experienced but also good for teaching us about exposure and not blowing the whites,like I don't do that:( But you are right being able to practice on live animals/birds is something I really searched for and craved,probably the best places are where they are desensitized to human beings. I've had huge fun with swallows,not got many pics to show for it,but slowly that muscle memory will be assimilated,step one has to be to mount the camera on subject and eye in an instant constantly,little steps Dave.

I've not caught up with herons yet Dave it's a shame in some ways,I know a place where I used to live down south,where I would have had fabulous chances,might have also got something a bit different looking back. As above points taken on board kiddo and humble thanks to follow....

thank you good sir:)

Stu

Hi Stu
Glad to see you are busy taking some photographs as they say practice makes perfect when you get use to the 1 d I am shore you will get some excellent shots. I think Dave as covered most things I would have said.
One bit of advice mate a noisy photo is better than a blurred one. Remember what I said to you about topaz denoise. By the way I am picking up the 1 Dx today so like you I will be on a learning curve.
Rich

Thanks Rich,i'm wading through it all as we speak.,congratulations on your new camera Rich,some mouth watering images to come there !! We might catch up with the hares again,later today if luck smiles on us!! Rich, all good so far put the camera back to default,managed to get my BB focus set and some familiarity with the AF system for later on..so excited,bloody kid I am

Rich all taken on board,i'll def be pushing the ss and iso today ,I want to really try and max my chances of sharpness,but really just learn learn learn,it will be some time before i'm familiar with her ,shes a beast compared to what i'm used to.

Here's a hare on the go for a bit of fun,above faults apply I guess,image uncropped, 550D....300f2.8-ext 2x......600mm iso 800 ss1/320, 5.6 a few tweaks in dpp3

IMG_5127 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

take care

Stu

Hey guys I had all but forgotten I had posted this but that same fascination is still there,so i'm going to show some of my more recent pics here aswell as a couple of older ones not seen yet. Lets start with two older ones from the same day first taken with my little 550D.

IMG_5301 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

and a leveret flying over a wall taken from the car as a bit of a grab shot but I like theh late light on the copper leaves

IMG_5340 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

From here they'll all be taken with my 1Div still the same 300f/2.8is lens but also now using the 1.4 extii as well as the 2Xversion of same.

Rumbled an adult reaches for my scent just before scarpering taken close to home early one moring. I'm having a ball with our local hares right now taken a few weeks back in early may

_70F4182 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

Taken late one evening and already seen here,but as it's quite different i'd like to share it here too.

_70F3832 by

Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

more later I have much to sort through
take care

stu

'Ere Dave you might not have seen this ,IQ isn't right, I know mate:rolleyes: I was trying to back off and let her know me so deliberately taking pics so she would know the shutter,,but you will smile ....promise;) it is posted here but a smile is cool huh?

_70F5077 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

I now have an even deeper respect than ever for real caring gentle wildlife togs,proper hard won respect. Jees guys this rollin round in the rock hard clay stuff is hard core
Some pics:

_70F5534 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F5531 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F5529 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F5529 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

take care more will follow

stu

Just about to get up and head out with the camera Stu - 2:50am and a sunrise awaits me at Windermere (fingers crossed). I love holidays :)

The more you get out and around the Hares - the more chance you have of the "perfect" shot ;)

Last edited:
I had no idea how big these animals were. recently went for a walk over at some developing wet lands near me and was amazed at the size of them. couldn't get close at all as they bolted as soon as you headed in their direction. these are really good

Cheers John I guess a bit like moi , thanks so much for the reply
Davey there must be a certain madness that goes with wanting to take pics huh, 2:50am (complete respect!!)all the luck bro:) Shoot me a link mate i'd love to see what you are doing,so little time here. I'm actually being a bit cagey Dave, Because they are right here, I could go out most nights,but that might effect them .So I try to choose my chances. So if in anyway I am effecting their behaviours (with all my heart I don't think so) then space between my intrusions should help keep things on track. I want the pics mate,but ickle aminals first.;)

Dan yes they are big aren't they,it's amazing,it's just a bunny with big dark ears?? Dan i'll show some close stuff shortly me lying in the mud. It is incredible when one is that close and low to look away from the viewfinder and really see that size I find the face and just how that face changes with differing angles equally remarkable,sometimes they almost look hard like a kangeroo others really soft and feminine just head angles,ears on the same hare seem to get bigger and smaller.They are wicked, I love 'em,what can I say,one can see why there is so much mystique that surrounds them built up in our folk law just by being with them.

take care

stu

A couple of weeks back I was told "I know you are knackered,but go out for an hour,you'll be up at 5 for graft so go now and don't wait for the golden hour" As the camos got dumped in front of me I dragged my sorry ass into 'em and what happened next is still being evaluated. For that hour the stars were in my favour ,I stalked my hare got where I wanted without spooking her and just laid there beat up. Hard physical day hard stalk one eye on hare Stu all but asleep for say ten minutes. She must have clocked this raggety thang by the dock so after a goodly while slowly but surely came closer. My eye left the view finder brielfy from there on. Utter madness walked back home popped em into the computer and over 300frames had been taken,it's all a bit surrealreally. The day before i'd done the same things didn't work as the hare I stalked just ambled off away from me ,she didn't know I was there 30 frames all OOF. I think with hindsight my MFA ahd somehow moved but also a heat haze might have been at play.
Anyway a couple of pics that I've managed to process.
the lass(I think) after being chased off she came back for another look this is late in that magical evening: As framed

_70F5483 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

The fella (again I think) about to go off like a rocket after the former with me left floundering literally in the dark as the speedsters went awol.
Really difficult trying to ID hares we know this one though.

_70F5440 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

take care all

Stu

Sorry Stu, totally missed all these recent pics.

These really are amazing images and show that the hard work does eventually pay off.

You've come on in leaps ( :D ) and bounds recently and this latest image is mega impressive!

Keep up the good work (y)

Davey there must be a certain madness that goes with wanting to take pics huh, 2:50am (complete respect!!)all the luck bro:) Shoot me a link mate i'd love to see what you are doing,so little time here.

Stu - Won't upload any pics from the holiday until I have a chance to edit them, but some of my recent stuff is on Flickr here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/98886443@N08/

Sorry Stu, totally missed all these recent pics.

These really are amazing images and show that the hard work does eventually pay off.

You've come on in leaps ( :D ) and bounds recently and this latest image is mega impressive!

Keep up the good work (y)
Leaps and bounds,that's terrible Wez,mind it's not the first time I've heard that or the first time I've laughed at it,so a double cheers Wez:cool: one the the kind words one for making me laugh.

Wez the physicality of this is incredible, mind so is the joy. I'm getting lots of help and little by little it's starting to come together,it will be a long time though before I feel comfy with all this.I always knew it would be a slow old road bro, I graft at it like most things mate,but that deep love of what we have kicking around doesn't ever make it work itis wonderful even if the old bones are screaming at times.:eek: Mate I learnt so much on that one evening (not all these pics are from then) it's unreal. For me two things stand out: just what my lens can do when she close enough is first up and second how keeping ones eye in the viewfinder instead of watching the beastie and choosing the time to snap away(or looking at what I had taken) can make such a difference. I guess that wasn't a conscious choice just happened really,I became aware as I walked back home that I hadn't looked at a single image on the back of the camera,something I often am caught doing when something cool happens. sure I should have checked histogrammes etc,But I felt comfy with everything having done similar several times recently in similar light.Wicked fun Wez thanks so much for taking you time to reply

Davey some really cool stuff(as expected) on your flickr,we had a damn good shufty for a while last night when the web started working again . Have a ball buddy we'll watch out for updates.
Many thanks both

Take care

Stu

I haven't knowingly deleted pics from this thread or flickr,can others see pics in posts 17&19 please. tis probably something i've done ,but I'm curious as to what's happened to them

many thanks

Stu

Stu these are fabulous! Especially your most recent ones! Enjoyed looking through them :)

Stu these are fabulous! Especially your most recent ones! Enjoyed looking through them :)
Many thanks SA it's all a work in progress really, I find them utterly fascinating to take pictures of: their heads never seem the same shape varying so much with the angle to camera and those eyes are to die for Now my images are back i'll try and dig out some more shortly,thanks for taking the time to comment.

take care

Stu

The images are still showing Stu
Cheers for this Dave I can see them now,but last night gone completely just a box with a red cross across it. Maybe something to do with my web Dave??...being out in the sticks a bit my service is really poor,so hopefully for once this isn't down to me

many thanks mate

Stu

Thanks Mark time's been short of late ,but there are a few more to follow yet. I love being with them,something magical about hares for me.

cheers for the comment take care

stu.

I still have much to show,but here i'm going for something from this weekend just gone,sunday to be exact about 6PM.

I have a few hare spots besides home,we had been out for an afternoon scout as my togging performance hadn't been great all week on my break ,either the chances didn't come or I messed up. We had really put in the hours really grafted for something a bit special, so this was a bit of a last ditch attempt before going back to the grind.

As I pulled up by the footpath, almost as expected a hare was close by ,too close actually getting our of the car was enough to spook the little fella whom bounced off round the corner out of sight. I guess I didn't think as I just grabbed the camera and set off. Withing seconds I had her in sight and started cursing myself for not slipping into my usual stalking gear i'm pretty OCD always in full camo face and hands covered (again camo)for hare stalking. I guess some might think over the top,but it seems to work for me and as i'm starting to show I get in close fairly regularly.

Huge joy seeing this was a leveret,but now huge care needed not to blow this great chance. I stuck very low to the ground trying desparately to keep my face out of sight and stayed there in the prone position for the shots.Crawling through the nettels no fun at all without my usual sportschief protection She was super jumpy i put the camera in silent,which is basically a one shot senario and cursed much my pov: she was up a bank from me ,so I could have easily got up onto my knee to shoot and still have been at eye level.There are very bright grasses in the foreground that have clobbered most of these shots and they really should have been very special ARRGGHHH,so stupid,just a bit of thought and i'm sure there was a bucket full of cool shots on the cards.

Hey ho I should have known better but within that bit of experience with hares is also plausibly the reason I got something. She was jumping about eratically,I feel that going to silent was possibly a master stroke and got me at least something,it is very conceivable that one blast of high speed frames and she would have been in the long grasses boardering the crop and lost,I feel she was being spooked by the shutter even in silent. But I would have so liked this to have been in high speed continuous with that clear line of sight,i'm still kicking myself now. It was a binding chance still full of the usual joy ,but what I saw wasn't really caught which is a shame

So here they are,all up for critique as always,you'll see how much those grasses played hell with me. Damn I love leverets and as i've mused before i'm sure they grow into their ears,you can see her fiercely studying me stuck under a bramble she knew I was there,but I think my tactics had her stumped as to what exactly I was.
_70F7010 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F7011 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F7012 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F7013 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F7014 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F7018 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F7019 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

Finally as I have mentioned camo and sports chief, a little add on. I recently treated myself to a replacement coat and leggings. I took my old coat back to Garlands,it's still brilliant waterproof windproof. My only reason for a new one is simply the camo had faded with my reliance on getting close real close it is such a part of what I do photography wise I felt better camo might just help me along. I had my old coat a long time and was sort of curious if the good folks at Garlands had any ideas on when it was made,they did. At £225 my original was no cheep thing,I have battered the hell out of it and been warm and dry for years,I feel good outdoor gear is utterly essential and I'm sure some out there are saying £225 Stu you are nuts. But here is the rub, I think I spoke to the owner he knew exactly when my particular coat was made.....the year 2000, So that's 16 years of being warm and dry at how much a year?? it's nothing, To give some perspective on my uses of this type of coat crawling about in fields etc I used to trash the best barbour in a couple of years .

Whether the new one will hold up to that I don't know it's the saddlecloat coat by the way,but I find that remarkable 16 years...wow. After I got mine I got one for shaz maybe a year or two later,i'm not a rich guy it took a while to find another couple of hundred quid for a coat,her's is even better than my old one better camo colours and also they seem to have not faded. Sure hers hasn't had the hammering mine has but it looks like new. Being warm and dry is very important for us wildlife guys,so I thought i'd share this little story,i'm amazed actually I know what I do to coats;)

take care

stu

Lovely shots Stu.

Great story about the stalk :) My last Hare shot was taken while I was after a Little Owl in a graveyard. The owl was a no show and I was driving down an old road through the graveyard - the young hare was just sat nibbling the grass. I put the side window down on the car and took a few shots. Sometimes I like "easy" photography ;)

I noticed from the exif on a couple of them that you shot at F7.1 with a f2.8 lens and 1.4TC.

I have found 1 stop to be the sweet spot with a 1.4TC - so shooting at f5.6. Just saying as the extra shutter speed / ISO may be useful in some situations.

Thanks Davey ahh mate I could have taken this up a couple of notches,they are still cool,but ya know these special chances don't come easy or often and there could have been some remarkable stuff. The bright grasses played hell with my focus!! Dave, I should have gone to single point as opposed to surround,so in part my error. She had a daffy five mins, I, in part, described above,I had one delete where she looked like a bucking bronko head down back feet kicked right up high ears tumbling down to one side as an example real special stuff one rarely sees,frankly I was struggling not to lol ,as it was hilarious. The lovely soft side light was also on my side mate,it really was a special chance. But this is wildlife mate one has to nail those chances and sure they are cool pics ,but hell, we all want more, and it was there for the taking this time..... and I damn well know it:).

Dave thanks for the thoughts on AV. The combo is pretty sharp I think ,even wide open,primarily I actually stopped down due to her getting closer and me not knowing how far that might go,they can be quite curious and I have had occassions where they have come in so close I can't fit them in frame,those two shots at 7.1 are the sharpest I feel though mate. For once I had plenty of light so shutter and iso weren't really a problem. I am seriously grateful for your more experienced thoughts mate,sure I'm tottering a few steps forwards then a couple back and sure i'm gifted to even get these chances when so many folks barely see a hare,but i'm still basically incredibly inexperienced and learning constantly how to take a pic of wildlife. It's why I always ask for crit on my more serious efforts and why those little words from your good self or others are always appreciated. I mainly shoot wide open mate,but will explore that one stop.

The animals are almost second nature to me Davey the camera is utterly not,but all the time i'm making little steps into how to control and get the best out of the camera,a long way to go yet but slowly it's coming.The use of silent mode for example is quite new I had one well actually two approach me recently ,no light and I was walking,the camo did it's job and my hare wasn't quite sure what I was. So he stood up for a proper look,a few months back I wouldn't have even thought of portrait,but I got him full frame. It's being able to weigh all this up in seconds buddy for it to be instinctive that is what I need and am striving for,but still a long way to go

Ahh mate like me you graft for your pics we spend hours hoping and going home with nowt,it happens to all of us I guess,so it's wonderful you got a cool easy hare,ha one still has to make the picture buddy:banana:. Got got very lucky with that barn owl I posted,just nuts mate drive up Shaz says there's your owl,pull in wind down window owl flies up lands in front of me take pictures game over five mins later,it almost makes one feel guilty buddy:D,nah not really, good for you;)

thanks mate

Take care

Stu

…so many hilarious, sweet and delicious
shots in this thread, Stu!

Thanks for the pleasure :)

Last edited:
Sometimes Stu I think the missed opportunities are what keep us coming back for more ;)

I don't always have to graft - sometimes I am lucky and friends give me tips or take me along. Other times it can be a long slog to get the shot you really want.

Not sure if this will work - here is a link to a video I took on my phone. The Hare was too close for me to use my camera as it has a minimum focus distance of around 4 yards :) Never underestimate the value of good camo :)

Hare up close by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Dave.

Last edited:
Thanks Daniel,I find them utterly fascinating I am incredibly lucky to have them right here, as well as the other places we go to,what a joy mate. those ears can put a smile on my face anytime.

Ahh Davey I remember this,bless ya mate, some folks won't have seen that video and i'm sure they will love it if they see it here,cheers for sharing:cool: This does work by the way i've just watched it with shaz again. Buddy I love it when she turns while sat bolt upright it's so special. Mate your a nikon guy ( I know mate huge condolences we all have our problems:confused:) do you always stop down when shooting with extenders,do you have a 2X do you stop down the same amount with that? I know there is a 1.7. I'm just curious mate obviously despite my rib pulling:D both marques produce cracking products capable of amazing images,I just wondering how you feel about the higher magnification extenders really relative to stopping down. A 300mm ain't much for wildlife,don't get me wrong I feel real lucky to have mine it's an amazing tool,but I use those ext's so much,it's quite important I'm getting the best from them.

take care both

stu

I have found my new D500 body is very good wide open with my 500 F4.

I still need to double check it with the 1.4TC - this will require me taking shots of something like a bullrush head at around 15 yards at varying apertures.

These will be scrutinised on my computer to see which offers the best image.

With my D810 that was stopped down from 5.6 to 7.1 or 8. The improvement was worth the stopping down if I had the light, but I could live with 5.6 if I had to.

It is trial and error really - just like fine tuning the lens.

Back