Sublime

Name
Duncan
Edit My Images
Yes
I spent last week in Allen, Texas attending a photojournalism course called the Foundation Workshop. The aim of the course is to take wedding shooters and put them into an unfamiliar environment by giving them two days to shoot an assignment.

My assignment was Troy Easton, the owner of a shop called Sublime Chocolate - he's an ex-lawyer turned chocolate maker and last year set up his own shop. It was really tough - 2 days in a small shop, with only a few customers. Each night our team leaders would critique our images ... with a passion. For four nights straight I didn't go to bed before 4am.

Here's a short slideshow I put together for the owner of the shop :

http://www.kerridgeweddings.co.uk/ss/sublime/

You might have noticed another couple of photographers in the show, one of them was videoing the whole workshop using 5DMKii's, here's what he put together :

http://www.vimeo.com/3125931 (I'm the goon with the beer in his hand on the first image)

Duncan

That's an interesting course Duncan, what do you think you got out of it as a wedding tog? (other than a lack of sleep) :)

It's difficult to say, most of attendees from previous years say it takes several months for the learnings of the course to become apparent. They only accept photographers with a few years experience, and it's all about challenging your boundaries, pushing you further.

They deliberately choose assignments that are not going to be image rich, to see what you can come up with. Some of the best wedding photographers in the US are the mentors on the course, this years course sold out in two days !

So I'll guess I'll have to wait and see what effects it has on me.

One immediate learning is that in the hands of skilled user, the 5Dii can turn out some really cool video !

Last edited:
What a fantastic slide show !!! I never normally have the patience to watch a picture slide show all the way through, but i did with yours. They captured the whole essence of the place, the business, the staff, and the customers. Looked like a cracking challenge. (y)

Thanks, I would have prefered something that wasn't enclosed in a 30ft square room for 2 days, but that's the luck of the draw.

That's really interesting. You had some great colour in that shop to work with, gives some of the images a real graphic quality that I like.

Limiting your options for photo's really forces you to be creative, with great results here.

Oh wow, that's nothing short of amazing. I could watch that over and over and over...

So many great shots in there it's hard to pick a favourite, but the kid with hair sticking up gazing through the glass in wide-eyed wonderment stands out for me. I don't think it's technically the best but it's so expressive and it's captured the moment in such a brilliant way.

Are Sublime going to use any of the photos for their site?

That's a wonderful slideshow. Regardless of the space issues, you've really captured the environment beautifully. Helped by an owner who clearly loves what he's doing. Great finish with the shots of the kids (y)

Time to watch the video now :)

Oh wow, that's nothing short of amazing. I could watch that over and over and over...

So many great shots in there it's hard to pick a favourite, but the kid with hair sticking up gazing through the glass in wide-eyed wonderment stands out for me. I don't think it's technically the best but it's so expressive and it's captured the moment in such a brilliant way.

Are Sublime going to use any of the photos for their site?

Thanks. Yes they might use some on their site, part of the arrangement was that they get access to all the photos.

Fan-bloody-tastic.

Just watched the slideshow again and I love it even more. I keep thinking I can smell chocolate!

Limiting your options for photo's really forces you to be creative, with great results here.

Absolutely, It will be very interesting to have you come back and comment in six months Duncan, I wonder if you will start "seeing" shots differently or seeing shots that you might not have considered to be viable before.

Food for thought and that's not the chocolate :)

Great set of pics and the video makes the whole experience look like a bundle of fun. I'd love to do something like this.

Great stuff. I love the concept of that - 2 days in 1 room, effectively forcing you to come up with the goods. You delivered in spades too :)

Luckily the shop had nice vibrant colours going on too, that really helps a lot of the shots.

Awesome stuff, captured it well :)

Random I know, but who did you fly out with an how much were flights? I'm bored and feel like going to Texas for a bit in the summer!

Awesome stuff, captured it well :)

Random I know, but who did you fly out with an how much were flights? I'm bored and feel like going to Texas for a bit in the summer!

I flew from Heathrow direct with BA, they were about £350 when I booked them last year.

LOUD MUSIC ALERT - for those at work, like me!

Will look tonite :D

I would have prefered something that wasn't enclosed in a 30ft square room for 2 days
Hold on. This is a CHOCOLATE SHOP we're talking about. Some people would kill for an assignment like that!

Great slideshow too. But I'm peckish now....

Hold on. This is a CHOCOLATE SHOP we're talking about. Some people would kill for an assignment like that!

Great slideshow too. But I'm peckish now....

OK, granted it did have it's perks. And the dude knows how to make chocolates, they really were sublime. Sampling at least one of each was naturally part of my duties ...

Well I loved the slideshow Duncan... My thoughts...

This is clearly a family man who is passionate about his product. You really got a glimpse into his life and work. Hard work and perfectionism being reward with loyal customers, who do a little more than just pop in for a bag of chocs, then leave. He seems to be a people person. I bet he knows most of his regular customers by name, and probably even knows the names of their families. You've managed to portray the fact that there are still businesses out there that really believe in what they do, but can still be friendly and welcoming.

I wish there was a store like that here. Not just for the chocolates :)eek:) but for the personal touch that makes you want to return again and again.

I would be well chuffed if I were him!

My favourites were the shots of the chocolate wheel ... purely because I imagined my open mouth under the chocolatefall :LOL:

I think being enclosed in such a space for such a time, really pushed you to portray some of the things you wouldn't have seen had you had more and less of those things.

Of course all of the above could well be just a load of waffle, but I thought I would say it anyway :LOL:

i like your style mate, very good :)

btw, i was quite impresse with the video from that 5d to

Thanks Jo, your description pretty much sums him and the place up, so I guess that means I did OK with the photos !

It's no quick in and out store, each transaction seems to take around 10 minutes of chat.

The mouth under the chocolate machine seems to be the standard reaction everyone gets when they see it, it's even worse/better in the flesh.

Sounds like a very interesting course, and you turned in a great set of pics. Must take some doing to come away with that many good shots from a couple of days in a confined space.

I have always thought you are an excellent photographer and your slideshow re-enforces my opinion! Superb work and fantastic display of what can be done to capture the 'feel' of the surrounding environment!

Superb! (y)

Thanks for all the comments folks. I shot my first post-course wedding yesterday and the words of the mentors were ringing in my ears throughout. I was definitely more creative than I have been of late, and was working each 'moment' to death to get the best out of it. Which also meant I shot more than normal .... a mere 3500 images to look through from this one ...

Here's a shot from the wedding I would never have seen before the workshop :

img_0858_small.jpg

Back