Suggest me a new lens

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
(I think this is the right section?)

Firstly hello, signed up after recommendation from another forum when I was asking for tips on a new lens.

I have a Canon 400D using the kit 18-55mm lens, but a few people have said that lens is rubbish and I'll get better results with another lens...

I don't take enough photos to warrant spending big money but I just want an improvement, preferably with zoom up to at least 200mm...I was looking at the Tamron 70-300mm ones on eBay that are about £80.

Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks Graham

I loved my 55-250mm Canon. It was a really great lens to live with and was on my camera all the time. It did some great close up zoom stuff and had IS as well. It will come in over your budget, but I always thought it was worth every penny.

Hi Matt :wave:

I couldn't go as low as 10-20, I am doing some photos for a few mates with weekend at Santa Pod on a Drift Day and tend to use up to the 55mm quite alot, hence I was hoping to have the 70-300 so I have the 2 lenses to cover me, then again I have no idea if it's true how 'restrictive' the kits lens is and that if I buy a 18-55 in another make for example, that my pictures will look much better, in which case I'd be quite happy to do that for now, a zoom lens isn't a must I just really want one.

Swag my friend has one of those, amazing lens, but it came with a hefty price tag, £800 to be exact, a bit more than I was looking to spend :LOL: But in fairness of the term, get what you pay for, it takes some bloody amazing shots!

I borrowed it:

32.jpg

30.jpg

A couple of mine with my lens:

fog.jpg

fog9.jpg

fog7.jpg

17.jpg

12.jpg

3.jpg

Doesn't look as if you're having much trouble with your kit lens, judging by these. The 55-250 IS seems to be a pretty good lens for what it costs (I've never used it, I shoot Nikon) and I've seen some pretty decent motorsport shots taken with it at Knockhill, so if it was me I'd be tempted to spend a bit more and go for one of those rather than that 70-300 Tamron, you really won't notice the difference in focal length and the IS is handy too...

Swag my friend has one of those, amazing lens, but it came with a hefty price tag, £800 to be exact, a bit more than I was looking to spend :LOL: But in fairness of the term, get what you pay for, it takes some bloody amazing shots!

Graham, I am thinking of the bulk standard EF-S one that comes in at around £180. Unless lenses have gone up by loadsa money :eek:;)

I'd recommend the sigma 18-200 (or other make equivalent) without IS/OS it comes in at under 200 notes and has pretty much the best of all worlds!

Chris

Thanks Flash In The Pan :) I think I am ok at up close photos, I just struggle with photos of cars, I can never make them look amazing like a couple of mates and certainly not like peoples on here!

Swag it's either a different lens or they got ripped off then :LOL: Where would you suggest the best website to look at these are, I'm presuming if you buy new you'd get some form of warranty?

Dogyakker, thanks, I shall look into it, that is the kind of thing I was thinking about, so I only have to carry 1 lens, but didn't know if it would affect quality having such a broad range. I really don't know much unfortunately.

Thanks for continued help guys :)

image stabilizing, (nikon version is VR)

how about a 28-135 canon? i have just got one and think its an awesome lens and mean you wouldnt need to chop and change between two lens's really,

you can pick em up s/h 150ish

chris

That's not bad, I'll look into those too.

I have been offered a 70 - 300mm lens with a UV Filter and Circular Polorising Filter for £80, good deal?

The 55-250mm is the lens I bought for my 400d, as a second lens to the kit 18-55mm.

HIGHLY recommended. I've been very happy with it for the last 6 months or so, and believe I will need to spend a lot, and learn a lot to get better images than it can produce.

As said, the IS is a real bonus at 250mm.

Most of these http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=93496 were taken with it.

Yep, the 55-250 is VERY good value, and with IS you could still use it around the house at slower shutter speeds than otherwise available (only a bit slower mind, but could make the difference) - again, highly recommended from me. Bought mine also as my second lens and just sold it on having spent more money on L glass!

aPk from CS :)

a bit of lateral thinking, how about an 85mm f/1.8 prime (about £200)? I absolutely love this lens, obviously it's fast so you'd gain great low light ability and an increase in reach over the kit 55mm.

Otherwise there's always the 70-200mm F4L, quite a bit more though at about £380.

Back